Brewer Fanatic

Chances of competing in 2014?

adambr2
Yeah, the Brewers are bad this year, but the idea that they've packed it in seems like armchair psychoanalysis at its worst.

I was parroting what was in print, not providing as my own opinion. My opinion part of that sentence was that apathy is a clubhouse killer.

That said, neither you or me are in the clubhouse every day.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for whether or not the team can compete next year...hard to say.

It is hard to say. In the middle of 2010, were any of us thinking that we would win 96 games the next year? It really depends on the new players we bring in, but we certainly don't have the talent to go get some good arms.

It's troubling to read scouts say things like 'the Brewers have already packed it in' as has been posted here and other places several times this year. In baseball (and all sports for that matter) the worst thing that can happen is a culture of apathy setting in clubhouse or lockerroom.

I think it is a per game basis when they pack it in. I see the players pack it in after they see the starting pitcher give up 9 runs in the first 3 innings. The players spend the rest of the game going through the motions to wait until tomorrow. I don't blame them. They don't have the option that I have taken and leaving after 7 innings.

Agreed on both points.

Yeah, the Brewers are bad this year, but the idea that they've packed it in seems like armchair psychoanalysis at its worst.

I was parroting what was in print, not providing as my own opinion. My opinion part of that sentence was that apathy is a clubhouse killer.

That said, neither you or me are in the clubhouse every day.

I wasn't taking issue with you, as it was clear you were quoting. But, unnamed scout in the stands isn't in the clubhouse everyday either as far as I know.

Beating up on Miami at home shouldn't be looked upon as us suddenly having a playoff caliber team. That Offense has been terrible all season long. I'm surprised Stanton didn't go deep twice in the series.

KRod seems a goner for sure at this point. As well as Mike Gonzalez. Still a number of players that could be dealt away that changes next season. And that whole Braun suspension lurking.

I said it a bit ago, the team, no the fans are lucky May happened because this is the easiest stretch in the entire schedule. One filled with building fake hopes before August comes and the toughest month on schedule happens.

I'm still not giving up on this year. 41 more wins till .500, 47 puts us in contention. Gotta beat up on the Central

Getting to 88 wins would require us to go 47-18 the rest of the way, or a .723 winning percentage. For perspective, the Cardinals have the best winning percentage in baseball this year, at .615, and the best winning percentage by a team of all time in the modern era is .716 by the 2001 Mariners. And I'd still say 88 wins is probably not going to be enough.

There is no realistic shot of us making the playoffs this year, and I sure hope we don't approach the trade deadline from a front office standpoint with the mentality that that is still within range.

I would say the only game they beat up the Marlins was yesterday. I would hardly call a 2-0 and 1-0 13 inning win beating a team up.

Yeah but for the most part the Brewers played Sunday with the JV team. Peralta's been dominating over his last 4 starts, whatever the competition.

Heaven forbid they try to win next year. In fact what the heck are they doing trying to win games now? Don't they know they should be laying down for a top draft pick. For all we know Melvin will sabotage their 2018 season by acquiring a bunch of good young prospects now then turn around and trade them for bonafide major league talent to make a run in 2014 (sarcasm).

I'm still not giving up on this year. 41 more wins till .500, 47 puts us in contention. Gotta beat up on the Central

Getting to 88 wins would require us to go 47-18 the rest of the way, or a .723 winning percentage. For perspective, the Cardinals have the best winning percentage in baseball this year, at .615, and the best winning percentage by a team of all time in the modern era is .716 by the 2001 Mariners. And I'd still say 88 wins is probably not going to be enough.

There is no realistic shot of us making the playoffs this year, and I sure hope we don't approach the trade deadline from a front office standpoint with the mentality that that is still within range.

Maybe we just need a pinup of Wendy Selig-Prieb in the locker room, taking off a sticker of clothing for every win... it worked in the movie Major League.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I would say the only game they beat up the Marlins was yesterday. I would hardly call a 2-0 and 1-0 13 inning win beating a team up.

Yeah but for the most part the Brewers played Sunday with the JV team. Peralta's been dominating over his last 4 starts, whatever the competition.

Heaven forbid they try to win next year. In fact what the heck are they doing trying to win games now? Don't they know they should be laying down for a top draft pick. For all we know Melvin will sabotage their 2018 season by acquiring a bunch of good young prospects now then turn around and trade them for bonafide major league talent to make a run in 2014 (sarcasm).

I think the point is do you keep everyone around and hope to win next year or do you sacrifice 2014 and build for 2015 and beyond.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah but for the most part the Brewers played Sunday with the JV team.

And the Marlins are a AAA team. Beating up on them means nothing. NOTHING. If we want to petition the International League to join then the Brewers have a fantastic chance at winning it all in 2014. If we want the team to stay in MLB, not so much....

Archived