Brewer Fanatic

The Wily Peralta Has Arrived Thread

splitterpfj
The emergence of Peralta almost has me to the point of being optimistic for 2014 and not wanting to trade off pieces that could help us next year. Lohse and Peralta could form a nice 1-2 punch and Gallardo + Estrada/Nelson/Hellweg/Etc could be decent enough to fill out the rotation.

I don't think I am to the point yet of just wanting to hold tight; but any moves Doug makes should be with the intention of hopefully competing next year. There are enough nice pieces on this team that a full blown rebuild doesn't seem necessary. Peralta's emergence as a potential #2 starter is making believe more and more that this team is closer to competing than not. Just figure out 1st base and try to find one additional solid starter.

I don't think its wise to base major team structuring off 35 innings.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, but you could say that Peralta has pitched a 2.52ERA (if I did my math correctly) his last 64.2 innings (the months of June+July). So I am more confident each time out on what you can plan for from Peralta in 2014.

What's also promising is that when Mike Fiers shut the league down for an extended period of time - it came out of nowhere as he was not touted as a guy with great stuff. Peralta has been projected to be a very good pitcher his entire career, and that's making me feel a little better about believing in him in 2014.

No, but you could say that Peralta has pitched a 2.52ERA (if I did my math correctly) his last 64.2 innings (the months of June+July). So I am more confident each time out on what you can plan for from Peralta in 2014.

Ok, I don't think its wise to base major team structuring off 64.2 innings. Yes, its nice to see Peralta on a pace that might make him an average starter by the end of the season. It would be great if he could be a solid 2 next year, or even an above average 3.

I agree it would be premature to start planning on Peralta being a force in the rotation for next year, but I do think it highlights why it's also premature to write-off next season too. If Estrada bounces back and Gallardo gets back to doing his thing that rotation can look pretty solid in a hurry. Not loaded with aces, but with the offense a rotation of mostly #2-3 starters can do pretty well. Nelson is having himself a pretty good year too he could easily be up in September as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I checked Peralta's innings not long ago. And he seemed a candidate in a lost year to be shut down mid Sep. I thought it will then be good to have Nelson get three starts or so

To do that Nelson should be curtailed a bit in the Nasville lost season

But no. In reading our brilliant long term planner RR we 'may' see Nelson one start. And we will grind peralta to the max

Since we will play our first stringers against the other teams September call ups I can see us with a decent sep record. Doug will use that to explain we are playoff FAVS for 2014. And when Wily breaks down mid 2014 our management will say: gee we just have bad luck again

I checked Peralta's innings not long ago. And he seemed a candidate in a lost year to be shut down mid Sep. I thought it will then be good to have Nelson get three starts or so

Since we will play our first stringers against the other teams September call ups I can see us with a decent sep record. Doug will use that to explain we are playoff FAVS for 2014. And when Wily breaks down mid 2014 our management will say: gee we just have bad luck again

I'm sorry but Peralta should be fine to go 200 innings this year I see no problem with the Brewers letting Peralta go the whole year as that was the plan no matter what in the beginning of the season and every team in MLB would be doing the same with a pitcher like Peralta. Peralta pitched 175 innings last year and right now he is projected to go about 185 innings this year. I don't see the problem here you are basically suggesting to stint Peralta's growth as a pitcher if you sit him in September.

So why is this a problem when Peralta is on the correct path for development?

I don't think they have pulled Wily early in games. I see he has 144 ip in 25 starts

I will guess he has had a number of short ip outings - high pitches per inning

I don't think there is any need to have the guy start 32 or 33 times - a go to wo season. Let him have 28 or 29 starts. In 2014 he can grow into his 32 full year starts

Ok, I don't think its wise to base major team structuring off 64.2 innings. Yes, its nice to see Peralta on a pace that might make him an average starter by the end of the season. It would be great if he could be a solid 2 next year, or even an above average 3.

If Peralta can continue to locate that slider it doesn't matter how many innings he pitches he will be a very good pitcher. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Peralta is the Brewers best starting pitcher next season as long as he locates that slider. Wily Peralta has upped his projection from middle rotation starting pitcher to potential top of rotation starter based on what I have seen this season already.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I don't think there is any need to have the guy start 32 or 33 times - a go to wo season. Let him have 28 or 29 starts. In 2014 he can grow into his 32 full year starts

The difference between 32 or 33 starts compared to 28 or 29 is very insignificant. Again you are just hurting his development more than you are helping it as Peralta needs all the experience he can get right now. There is no reason to be limiting him right now at all.

If it is insignificant then it cannot also be 'hurting his development'

I would rather see four Nelson starts rather than starts 29 30 31 32 from Wily. But it is a moot point. RR has spoken. Wily will get his 32 starts. And Nelson 'maybe' one

I say let him pitch to get used to the full season of work theory...

It can only help him in the future to get used to the 32 start season. better to let him figure it out now, then to have him poop out after 28-30 in a playoff run in the future.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

In order to get Nelson a few starts, put someone else on the bench. Do we need to see Gorzo starting from here on out? we know what he can do, bring Nelson up to start for someone else, but not Wily!

And another thing, why demote Thornburg from the rotation when he has been stellar? Our rotation this season should be looking toward next season. Keep Wily in there, bring up Nelson, keep Thornburg in there someplace, and let Gallardo and Lohse take the other 2 spots.

How big a part is Gorzy going to be in the future? we have him for one more year, we can use him in the rotation if need be in the future, but for now, in this lost season, let the youngsters work it out.

I hate the way this team is managed from the GM down to RRR.

I'd like nothing more than to clean house with all our management and start all over next year, but that will never happen...

:(

Peralta logged 175 innings last year. Nelson has already surpassed his 2012 inning totals. I doubt we see Nelson at all in September. I still think they will give Hellweg another start or two if anyone other than the six of Gallardo, Lohse, Gorzelanny, Estrada, Peralta and Thornburg.

Nelson's also walked 40 batters in 66 innings at AAA. Let him get that walk ratio down before you throw him to the wolves.

"I hate the way this team is managed from the GM down to RRR"

An argument could be made that RRR is doing his best managing job of the 3 years he's been here. With all that's gone on, this team is playing good baseball. Over the last 30 days, most missing their former MVP, they are tied with the Reds for the best record in the division. He's taken a bunch of 2nd tier prospects and has them playing winning baseball. He's also juggled an ever changing rotation that since mid June has started 11 shutouts.

Roenicke could get an extension and he might deserve it. Of course it took an injury to get Weeks out of the lineup, so I'm not going to give RRR the credit for that.

Nelson has already surpassed his 2012 inning totals. I doubt we see Nelson at all in September.

I was not aware of that, thanks for the information.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say RR won't get an extension after this season......

An argument could be made that RRR is doing his best managing job of the 3 years he's been here. With all that's gone on, this team is playing good baseball. Over the last 30 days, most missing their former MVP, they are tied with the Reds for the best record in the division. He's taken a bunch of 2nd tier prospects and has them playing winning baseball. He's also juggled an ever changing rotation that since mid June has started 11 shutouts.

Roenicke could get an extension and he might deserve it. Of course it took an injury to get Weeks out of the lineup, so I'm not going to give RRR the credit for that.

Peralta had enough innings last year that he should be able to pitch all year without overtaxing his arm.

I think we really need to take into consideration the level of competition this teamhas faced in the last few months before making any hasty declarations about how well our management has done.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I hate to sound like some internet jerk, but no. This is quite possibly the most incorrect post I've seen in BF.net history.

Ron has nothing to do with the success the team has had lately. His aggressive base running and overuse of the squeeze and bizarre rotation decisions have done nothing to help the team win. Once again, this team is winning in spite of him, not because of him.

Unfortunately, I believe that this is exactly the way that the organization thinks. If this is good baseball, count me unimpressed. We are playing semi-ok baseball, utterly mediocre in my opinion, and if they believe that these last few months are acceptable enough for the franchise to bank on for 2014 and beyond we are in for some very long years ahead.

Archived