Brewer Fanatic

2013-07-13 Brewers (Lohse) at D-backs (Delgado), 9:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-4]

TooLiveBrew

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2013/logos/brewers.png[/logo][game-info][h1]July 13 | 9:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]Brewers (37-55) | D-backs (49-44)[/h2][h3]FSWI, MLBN | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2013/logos/diamondbacks.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/lNzxnmk.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/hot0LQ8.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][h2]Kyle Lohse

5-6, 3.47 ERA, 1.18 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]The righty pitched to contact on Monday against the Reds, when he scattered nine hits and a walk in 6 2/3 innings but limited the damage to three runs without a single strikeout. He hasn't lost since May 30.

-- MLB.com[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][h2]Randall Delgado

1-3, 3.82 ERA, 1.45 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Reds | Game Log[/h3][h3]Delgado did not pitch poorly last time out, but he was not as sharp as he has been. he allowed just three runs over six innings, but did allow 11 hits to the Dodgers in a 6-1 loss.

-- MLB.com[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. RF 青木 宣親
  2. SS Jean Segura
  3. C Jonathan Lucroy
  4. CF Carlos Gómez
  5. 1B Juan Francisco
  6. 2B Rickie Weeks
  7. LF Logan Schafer
  8. 3B Jeff Bianchi
  9. P Kyle Lohse

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. CF A.J. Pollock
  2. 2B Aaron Hill
  3. 1B Paul Goldschmidt
  4. LF Jason Kubel
  5. RF Cody Ross
  6. C Miguel Montero
  7. 3B Martín Prado
  8. SS Didi Gregorius
  9. P Randall Delgado

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This game preview story can be accessed via the "MLB Gameday" link in the OP -- scroll to the bottom of the Gameday page to find the link to the preview. The story includes a highlight video of Lohse's 8 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 7 K performance at Washington.

Lohse looks to play stopper for Crew vs. D-backs

Arizona undefeated in five matchups with Milwaukee this year

By Jeremy Warnemuende / MLB.com | 7/13/2013 2:13 AM ET

When the Brewers and D-backs square off on Saturday for the sixth time in 2013, Milwaukee will be seeking its first win in the season series. Arizona has won the first five meetings by a combined 13 runs, giving the team its first five-game winning streak over the Brewers since 1998-99.

Kyle Lohse, who will take the mound for Milwaukee on Saturday night, pitched well enough for a win against the D-backs in his Brewers debut on April 5. In six innings, Lohse allowed just one run on five hits, striking out five and walking none. However, he received little help from his teammates in the Brewers' 3-1 loss.

It's been and up-and-down season for Lohse since that first game, but the 34-year-old right-hander has been solid of late. After taking the loss in four of five starts in May, Lohse has either won or left without a decision in each of his past eight outings. He recorded his fifth win of the season on Monday against the Reds, when he allowed three runs and scattered nine hits across 6 2/3 innings but did not record a strikeout.

Lohse's strategy is pitching to contact, and he doesn't always expect to fan many batters.

"Yeah, but not zero," Lohse said after his last start. "They were really swinging early in the count and I'm not going to be that guy to get them to swing at balls way out of the zone. ... I'm just up there trying to pound the zone and they took advantage a couple of times, but more times than not I was able to get a weak fly ball or a ground ball."

Much like Lohse, the D-backs' Randall Delgado, who will make his sixth start of the season on Saturday, limited the damage on the scoreboard while giving up a slew of hits his last time out. Delgado went six innings on Monday against the Dodgers, surrendering three runs on 11 hits.

Called up from Triple-A Reno on June 18 to join the rotation, Delgado enters Saturday with a 1-3 record and a 3.48 ERA as a starter this season. After allowing two runs in seven innings in his first start of the year, Delgado laid out his basic plan as a pitcher, which has been relatively successful even if his record isn't an indication.

"I just try to do my job every time they tell me," Delgado said. "I tried to keep it down in the zone and I think it worked, so I'll just try to keep it like that."

Brewers: Roenicke pleased with bullpen

In what has been a mostly rough season for Milwaukee, the bullpen stands out as a major positive. So when reliever Jim Henderson took the loss on Thursday night, manager Ron Roenicke wasn't too upset.

"It's going to happen," Roenicke said. "I don't expect every time we go out there that we're going to put up zeros."

Milwaukee's bullpen returned to form in Friday's 2-1 loss, as Brandon Kintzler, Michael Gonzalez and John Axford combined to allow just one hit in two scoreless innings. Collectively, the Brewers' relievers rank fifth in the Majors with a 3.01 ERA while holding opponents to a .232 average.

D-backs: Goldschmidt hot at dish

Paul Goldschmidt has been busy for the past week and a half, securing his status as a first-time All-Star.

The 25-year-old first baseman, who was voted into the Midsummer Classic by the players, extended his hit streak to nine games by going 1-for-2 with a walk on Friday against the Brewers. Goldschmidt also collected an RBI in the contest, giving him eight during the streak.

It also was his National League-leading 77th RBI on the year, which ranks third most in D-backs history before the All-Star break, with only Luis Gonzalez (86 in 2001) and Matt Williams (82 in 1999) driving in more runs in the first half of the season.

Worth noting

• A D-backs win Saturday would even the all-time series against the Brewers at 55-55.

• Goldschmidt's double in the sixth inning on Friday preserved the D-backs' Major League leading streak of 77 straight games with an extra-base hit.

• Only the Marlins have fewer road wins this season (14) than the Brewers, who are 15-29 away from Miller Park.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Carlos Gomez is batting .190 for the month of July, and 1 for his last 25. So, what does Ron Roenicke do? He moves him from third to fourth in the lineup.

Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I guess a 2 run lead is plenty for RR to hurry up the inning.

2 run lead. Batter in slump. 2 ks today. 3-0 count. Two men on.

Yes, give the 'ground into double play' signal. Well done RR. Well done. I am sure Weeks really appreciates you making him look stupid.

This is the game where it's clear that Roenicke has given up on trying to win any particular game and is focusing on what he thinks is the longer view. Last year it was the Phillies series where he pulled Grienke early, kept throwing Parra in every time there was a lefty etc. This year it's having Weeks swing 3-0 with 1st and 2d 0 out to, I guess, get his confidence up or something. Last year the games ended up counting late. I doubt they will this year, but still.

RRR is a lameduck manager, every night he proves it. Cut the clown loose, and try something new next year.

At this point, I don't care who they hire, as long as it isn't him. He has sucked out every ounce of enthusiasm I have remaining for this team.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

There just isn't any way that Roenicke can be defended at this point. He is just awful. He makes the same mistakes over and over and has never held his team accountable. The sooner he goes, the better.

A "tad" too late Ron...

Ax didn't have it tonight, and RRR is the only man in the ball park who didn't see it early on.

Amazing.

Perfect timing Ax, I suppose this is the time he will lose it, getting near the trade deadline.

Perfect, just perfect.

We battled hard tonight.

The ball just did not fall for us.

There is nothing we can do about that.

It will all even out.

Weeksie could have just as well hit that 3-0 count out of here

Of course I left Axey in even though after 8 pitches he throwied 1 strike. The ball was just not going over the plate. Nothing you can do about that. You throw the ball to the plate, if the ballie decides not to go over the platie, you just gotta battle through that.

Arizonie is a good teamie. There is a reasonie they are higher up the laddery then us.

But I am seeing some real positivies out of this teamy. No one is giving uppy. I can tell they are not giving uppy. They showy up every nighty. And every monthie they collect their money-ie.

Well, Jonathan Lucroy is hitting the piss out of the ball. That, at least, makes me happy. Five home runs in his last seven games. After a really slow start to the season, Luc is up to .277 with 13 HR and 52 RBI. On a pace for 23 HR and 91 RBI. That's great production from a catcher.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Luc's last ten games:

13 for 38 (.342) with 2 walks (.375 OBP)

1 double, 5 home runs, 10 RBI. .763 SLG, 1.138 OPS

That's just sick. :)

Tim Lincecum with his first career no hitter. :) Considering how bad he was last year, it's good to see him turning it around.

So, if we fail to score here, we're 19 games below .500? Can that be right?

From 96-66, to 83-79, and now 37-56 (again, baring a comeback in the ninth).

It appears we will draft in the top three.

The best thing RR and DM can do is trade the few decent guys we have that are only here this year and next. Then we will really guarantee a rebuild.

The best thing Mark A can do is fire RR and DM. We need a broom to get rid of our stupid management.

Roenicke will be fired at least a year too late just like Yost was fired at least a year too late.

I'm not sure about cleaning house on the roster though. Healthy you would have Braun, Gomez and Aoki in OF, A-Ram, Segura, Weeks, Hart and Lucroy in IF. That's competitive.

So, if we fail to score here, we're 19 games below .500? Can that be right?

From 96-66, to 83-79, and now 37-56 (again, baring a comeback in the ninth).

What is funny is the fact that this decline happened under RRR. He took over a unreal team his first year that could have gotten to 96 wins with my wife as manager. It has been all downhill since then.

Roenicke will be fired at least a year too late just like Yost was fired at least a year too late.

I'm not sure about cleaning house on the roster though. Healthy you would have Braun, Gomez and Aoki in OF, A-Ram, Segura, Weeks, Hart and Lucroy in IF. That's competitive.

Man, I sure hope that Corey Hart is not in our plans for next season...

Time to cut the ties and move on.

Man, I sure hope that Corey Hart is not in our plans for next season...

Time to cut the ties and move on.

Agree, need to let him walk in free agency. No need to resign him again even for 1 year. Between Francisco, Halton, and Morris there are options at 1b. Resigning Hart for a year would just block those guys.

Archived