Brewer Fanatic

Is it time to start getting extra rest for Segura and Gomez?

So it's a lost season with no hope for the playoffs. Two of the bright spots have been Jean Segura and Carlos Gomez.

Last season Segura played until the end of the MLB season, played winter ball, and now is in the middle of another MLB season. With the season lost, would it prudent to start giving him regular rest so he doesn't burn out? If not, at a minimum the Brewers need to sit him whenever he has a tweak or something that's bothering him. I just don't want to see him get hurt due to fatigue during a lost season.

You can make the same argument for Gomez I guess.

For the record, as of this writing the Brewers have played 91 games. Segura has played in 89 and Gomez has played in 86.

Tough to rest Gomez with Braun out. Segura got a bit of rest a couple weeks ago. They'll get a couple days after the All Star game to rest some, but I expect both to be in the lineup close to every day the rest of the season. They are cornerstones of the franchise and guys people who pay for tickets will want to see.

If the season is lost why not keep playing them so they learn how to handle the workload? Then if we are in it next season and we need to them in the lineup everyday they will know how to deal with it.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

502 - I have thought about the same thing. But both Briggs and Thurston have good thoughts. I guess I could see them taking a few starts off in September with expanded rosters. But nothing before then

I'd be more inclined to give Gomez a bit more time off given his history of getting hurt, but that depends on the availability of people to take his spot. Go-Go has been around MLB for a while now and he has a handle on the grind.

If this team is going to have any bright seasons in the near future, Segura is going to have to be one of the guys carrying the load. Run him out there every day (health and normal occasional rest aside).

yeah, I can't see any real reason to be sitting them very often. I understand that there are risks and either one could get seriously hurt at any moment of any game. But that's the chance they take when they play everyday. We could moan all day, "why didn't they sit him?!?!?" if something were to happen, but "thems the breaks" I say.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

If they start sitting significantly I could see the MLBPA getting involved. They would probably view it as an attempt to suppress Jean's future salary by limiting his stats.

Nobody is talking about that kind of rest. I think he should get four days off a month during Aug/Sept. As for learning the grind, Segura was playing ball in South America so he didn't get the full time off to begin with.

I'd like to see these guys targeted for 140 games. We have solid backups that can play and it'll probably keep everyone sharper

That's what I'm thinking. I'd like to see them play about 6 out of every 7 games (and obviously also have off whatever days there are no games scheduled). I'm not talking about a Stephen Strasburg type shut down. I just don't want to see these two sputtering for gas in September and still get run out there every day.

Can't the Players ask for a day off if they feel their bodies need some rest?

And I'm sure stats will dictate rest too. Like Gomez' run of late, if it weren't the AS break after tomorrow I'd bet he would have sat a day here in the midst of a 1-29 stretch at the plate. They've done so with Aoki's brief struggles at the plate by sitting him a game here/there.

Can't the Players ask for a day off if they feel their bodies need some rest?

Yes, but a decent number of them may not want to. Especially guys like Gomez and Segura who are always giving 110%.

Archived