Brewer Fanatic

How much longer does Jack Z get in Seattle

jjfanec

Jack Z had so much do with the success this team had recently but has really struggled as gm. Under his GM the Mariners are more than 80 games under .500. His first season was successful but since then they have been really bad. They do have a solid farm system - Law had them ranked 8th to start this year. They have some great pitchers in the minors but do they give Jack a long enough leash to see them make the majors? I dont know enough of the makeup of their team to know why they havent been successful. It seems like they have had promising prospects come up and struggle quite often.

Even if he got let go I doubt he would come back to the Brewers and head up our scouting again, but a guy can dream

If he could squeeze one more year out I think Seattle could be a different team with much better pitching next season and his job would be safe. I really like Walker and Hultzen, plus Brandon Maurer has decent upside though he didn't pitch well so far this season for the Mariners.

The problem is that Z's track record has been horrible for the Mariners. He also curiously fired their Latin American coordinator and then their International Scouting Director walked when his contract was up after the season. These are 2 guys that had a hand in identifying and signing players like Hernandez, Pineda, Shin-Soo Choo, Asdrubal Cabrera, Chris Carpenter, Roy Halladay and Pat Hentgen. Just an odd move, there must have been major disagreements on the direction which Seattle wanted to take.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think Jack gets the axe after the season. That's just my guess.

I think the club will just decide to give the club a housecleaning - and Jack and the coaching staff will all be let go.

They'll then go into 2014 with new leadership, and all their players will have a clean slate going forward. No one wil be a favorite of the manager or the general manager or whomever.

Just my gut feeling.

Sveum, there's Nick Franklin,Brad Miller, and Mike Zunino as bats that are beginning there career for Seattle recently. I proposed a Carlos Gomez for Franklin, Hultzen, and Paxton I think kind of deal before they extended Gomez.

As to the topic, no, I don't think he gets fired. and Franklin,Miller, and Zunino will be why. He managed to extend Felix, something I wouldn't have believed possible. And to me, allowing Jack Z. to do so had to go in line with seeing him remaining GM for 2-3years longer. If I were the owner, and Jack Z. came to me with Felix's proposed deal, if I didn't believe in the direction Jack Z. had the team going, I would have told him it was time to let him go by either trading him or with a QO when he became a FA.

On the other side of the coin, if Jack Z. were fired, could a reunion happen with firing Melvin and hiring Jack Z. as GM?

Sure Franklin, Miller and Zunino are all highly rated prospects but so were Ackley, Smoak and Montero. With less than 300 combined plate appearances I think it's probably a little early to make any definitive evaluations as to their ability to produce in MLB.

And if Z weant to ownership with the idea of trading Franklin, Hultzen and Paxton for one year of pre-breakout Carlos Gomez I think the Mariners would already have a new GM.

Trade somebody to Seattle for Montero. I'd LOVE to have him in Milwaukee. I don't think he's done by a long shot. They screwed him up by trying to develop him as a catcher, which he clearly was never going to be. Put Montero at first base, and let him get his stroke back. He's still very much a guy capable of hitting .290-.300 with 20+ HR and a buttload of doubles.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Trade somebody to Seattle for Montero. I'd LOVE to have him in Milwaukee. I don't think he's done by a long shot. They screwed him up by trying to develop him as a catcher, which he clearly was never going to be. Put Montero at first base, and let him get his stroke back. He's still very much a guy capable of hitting .290-.300 with 20+ HR and a buttload of doubles.

Montero would be a very average first baseman offensively, that's why they were trying to keep him behind the plate.

Or the guy who used PED's was very capable to hit for 20HRs bat .290-.300 and hit a boatload of Doubles. Not the Montero who's now clean.

Archived