Brewer Fanatic

Cubs Could Keep Garza

I could imagine this stemming from his recent success, the Cubs lack of Pitching coming up in their minors, and possibly entertaining the idea of trading away Samardzija instead. You'd think Jeff Samz. becomes the prize Pitcher in the market then and he has a lot more value than Garza to ask in return for prospects. Remember the DBacks had interest in him? Maybe their offer has increased to where Chicago can't really justify passing it up if they can instead just sign Garza?

On a side note MLBTR is stating the Cubs are the front runners for Jen Ho-Tseng in the international signing an 18yr old SP from Taiwan. You wonder how quickly he could advance in the minors with his international experience. Would put the Cubs at Jackson,Garza,(Skaggs),Tseng in the near-to future of pitching.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. I will say that a Garza signing likely makes Lohse a more sought after Pitcher since the FA market isn't to be that strong for pitching and rather than teams looking at Garza are now capable of changing plans and consider Lohse.

Gallardo's value is still rather suspect. There's no real underlying stat that could show a promising turnaround. No lower HR/Rate, Higher K Rate/Lower BB Rate/ Allowing less hits, more efficient with pitches....nothing gleams a turnaround now and next season with a little better luck.

they also told Garza that they'd be open to signing him in November if they do trade him, so that HAS to make teams question what they give up for him if they run the chance of losing him back to the cubs

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

The Cubs have now told Garza to expect a trade rather than an extension.

We'll see, the supposed leaders to get him are Texas and Cleveland.

There's no reason for this one to drag out past the break, he's a free agent at season's end, so every start he makes for his new team matters all the more.

The Cubs have now told Garza to expect a trade rather than an extension.

We'll see, the supposed leaders to get him are Texas and Cleveland.

There's no reason for this one to drag out past the break, he's a free agent at season's end, so every start he makes for his new team matters all the more.

I am going to bet on the Indians taking Garza as they are a better fit than the Rangers prospect wise. That then leaves the Rangers, Red Sox, Angels, Rockies, Dbacks, Dodgers, and the Padres as teams that would have an interest in Gallardo.

I think you can eliminate the Dodgers and the Padres from possible suitors which then leaves you with the Rangers, Dbacks, and the Angels as serious suitors with the Red Sox and the Rockies in the background lurking. The Red Sox had interest in Gallardo earlier in the year and I wouldn't be surprised if they were the team that comes away with Gallardo.

Nate, you're right, but I don't think the Dodgers would be out, especially if we sent a relief arm too, and the Angels just don't have the prospects right now.

Boston remains on the fence right now as far as dealing for a pitcher goes, we should be watching to see how Buchholz looks, and a lot of teams are also waiting to see if Jake Peavy looks good.

I too am rooting for Cleveland to land Garza. St. Louis I guess was listed as a darkhorse to land Garza which I'm guessing is accounting on Miller/Wacha/Kelly breaking down to having innings limit to make that suggestion, preparing for it with Garza.

You gotta figure Lindor is out of question in trade. So then Bauer? Do the Cubs want to go there? I could guess Danny Salazar and Naquin as a solid package for the Cubs.

For Texas they are dangling Mike Olt out there which FWIW is a nice fit for the Cubs if they move Baez or Castro at 2b.

Would be a Rizzo, Castro, Baez, Olt infield then. with Castillo at C. That's a 4year base of an infield before anyone would be seen moved from the team. I'm guessing the Cubs are asking for Perez,Grimm or CJ Edwards to go with Olt.

Boston is intriquing too since they have the talent in prospects in regards to rankings that really Cleveland/Texas don't. But Bradley should be Ellsbury's replacement. Bogaerts should be on no trade availability. Leaving Barnes,Webster,Owens, and Ranaudo as likely headliners in a trade. I don't know that Chicago would want any of them but Ranaudo at this point, which wouldn't be enough imo and Cecchini becomes an ask in the deal and for Boston that's too much to part with for a rental.

I am hoping Texas Loses out and becomes players for both Gallardo and Aoki to package some great talent in order to justify giving them away with both having another year under contract minimum.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Sounds like the Rangers are close to a deal for Garza, and are rumored to be giving up Olt, CJ Edwards and Neil Ramirez per HBT.

Odd. Weren't they against giving up Olt for Greinke?

And seems like Garza is back on the market or at least the Texas deal is not a sure thing any more. I think in dating parlance the Cubs and Rangers are free to "see other people" but they might get back together if they don't find anyone else attractive.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Sounds like the Rangers are close to a deal for Garza, and are rumored to be giving up Olt, CJ Edwards and Neil Ramirez per HBT.

Odd. Weren't they against giving up Olt for Greinke?

And seems like Garza is back on the market or at least the Texas deal is not a sure thing any more. I think in dating parlance the Cubs and Rangers are free to "see other people" but they might get back together if they don't find anyone else attractive.

If the Cubs get both Edwards and Ramirez for Garza that is a steal. I really like Edwards and the Cubs pitching situation in the minors could look really good with both Edwards and Ramirez. Edwards has ace potential if everything goes right for him as he has some nice velocity and he already has average to above average secondary pitches. Edwards will probably be more around a #1 and Ramirez looks to be a solid #2 or #3 starter. I am not all that high on Olt but he should be a league average 3B.

I am extremely glad that one of the clubs backed out as this would have been a really good trade for the Cubs as it would have sealed up some questions in their farm system in terms of pitching prospects.

Archived