Brewer Fanatic

Nolasco to Dodgers for prospects

jjkoestler

Dodgers acquired RHP Ricky Nolasco from the Marlins for RHPs Josh Wall, Steven Ames and Angel Sanchez. The Dodgers will cover the entire $5.7 million remaining on Nolasco's contract, and they'll get $197,000 in international cap space in return from Miami.

I'm not sure the title should say prospects. Maybe it should just say "minor league players." This seems like a weak haul for a solid pitcher.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

This seems like a weak haul for a solid pitcher.

Agreed. Ken Rosenthal was pretty dismissive when the news broke on the Fox Brewers broadcast tonight.

That doesn't bode well for the Brewers if they're selling pitchers.

It should say for Salary relief.

LA not only gets Nolasco but they will more than likely find a way to sign one of the remaining top 30 international prospects yet to be signed with the added funds in their pool.

Miami gets what it wanted, essentially a payroll of 40mil on the season. 12.5mil of that on players that never played a game for them this season.

So a payroll of 28.5mil for their entire roster.

Does this remind anyone of another owner's payroll oh just a year or so before selling?

The payroll projects to 34 mil next season. Someone has a nice script.

This seems like a weak haul for a solid pitcher.

Agreed.

That doesn't bode well for the Brewers if they're selling pitchers.

Did Mark A./Melvin say Gallardo and Lohse or any of the Bullpen guys had to be traded away by Weds.?

If they come out and say they want all their trade pieces to be traded away before the All-Star break. Then yeah this trade doesn't bode well for what to expect in return.

But we are just entertaining trade ideas and need to be "Wowed" to trade away Gallardo/Lohse. Mark A./Melvin don't need to shed payroll and aren't trying to shed as much of it as possible like Miami has done for the last year.

Ricky Nolasco had an ERA near 5.00 in the NL, a declining strikeout rate for the last five years, and has averaged over a hit/inning leading the league in hits allowed once, and is a free-agent in 2014.

I'm not sure I understand the sentiments that this was a weak return. Do people out there really think that Nolasco was going to pull a Zach Lee or Joc Peterson?

Of course this was a salary dump by the Marlins. Realistically, they're lucky they got anything back.

This could also drive the price up for Gallardo, not down, because the supply of available pitchers has been reduced by one. It is all about supply and demand. There is great deman for starting pitching and not a ton of them available. All it takes is one team to overpay.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I have no idea when Nolasco became a must-have pitcher. He's having a decent year this year but otherwise he has been average to below average his whole career. Here is how his career stacks up against Gallardo.

Nolasco

4.44 ERA

1.295 WHIP

94 ERA+

9.6 H/9

2.1 BB/9

7.4 K/9

Gallardo

3.75 ERA

1.309 WHIP

109 ERA+

8.3 H/9

3.5 BB/9

9.0 K/9

Gallardo exceeds him in all but 2 categories and Ricky has pitched his whole career in pitchers parks. Yo is 3 years younger and under contract for one more year than Ricky. If traded, Yovani should get much, much more than this in return.

I agree that Gallardo will get a lot more in return than Nolasco, but I also don't think you should look at career stats when comparing the two. As Gallardo has definitely lost something this year and I wouldn't assume it ever returns if I am trading for him. And if Nolasco is pitching decent this year, well you are trading for him for the playoff run for 2013, you don't care how he pitched in 2010, etc.

I agree that Gallardo will get a lot more in return than Nolasco, but I also don't think you should look at career stats when comparing the two. As Gallardo has definitely lost something this year and I wouldn't assume it ever returns if I am trading for him. And if Nolasco is pitching decent this year, well you are trading for him for the playoff run for 2013, you don't care how he pitched in 2010, etc.

If a healthy Ryan Braun had 10 HR after a couple of months, and a healthy Yuni Betancourt had 10 HR in the same period, who would you assume would be better going forward? Why? If it's because Braun has historically been a far better player, then you have just defeated your own argument. Over a short period, almost anything can happen, and you shouldn't assume that an anomaly over a short period will become the norm going forward.

Gallardo's problems are a concern, but many/some are chalking it up to his participation in the World Baseball Classic (arm fatigue or the lack of a normal season's preparation). If that's not it, then it has to be either an injury or a mechanical problem. If he is indeed injured, then his value will be adjusted accordingly. Otherwise, there's no reason to believe that a healthy 27-year-old should be permanently damaged goods.

How much his trade value is effected by his drop in velocity will most likely be determined by whether or not the receiving team believes the drop in velocity is a permanent thing, or whether it is a temporary thing. I certainly wish he didn't have the drop in velocity, but I wouldn't assume that it destroys his trade value.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

but I wouldn't assume that it destroys his trade value.

As I noted he is more valuable than Nolasco, but Gallardo is much less valuable than he was going into the season, and then you tack on his DUI for good measure.

Gallardo's problems are a concern, but many/some are chalking it up to his participation in the World Baseball Classic (arm fatigue or the lack of a normal season's preparation). If that's not it, then it has to be either an injury or a mechanical problem. If he is indeed injured, then his value will be adjusted accordingly. Otherwise, there's no reason to believe that a healthy 27-year-old should be permanently damaged goods. How much his trade value is effected by his drop in velocity will most likely be determined by whether or not the receiving team believes the drop in velocity is a permanent thing, or whether it is a temporary thing. I certainly wish he didn't have the drop in velocity, but I wouldn't assume that it destroys his trade value.

I haven't really seen the mentioning of this but what about Gallardo's mom passing away having the impact? I read she was a big part of Baseball for Yovani, and maybe mentally to begin the season and going on through it, her not being there to talk to has affected Yo.

He could be adjusting to life without her and not doing well. the DUI for instance. Remember too that no longer traveling with him on the team is Grienke,Wolf,Marcum,Narveson, and to an extent Fiers/Estrada. Bullpen guys of Axford/KRod are all that remain.

So Yo who's gone through this event in his life, isn't traveling with Pitchers that in the past may have helped him let out his emotions to. To be able to talk it out with the guys he's hung out with over the last year or more.

I have a belief that could be a part of his struggles this season. His mom passes away at the start of the offseason, he doesn't keep himself in game shape in offseason workouts, coping with his loss, and his emotional confidants just aren't there for added support face to face.

Just a thought when trying to put myself in Yo's situation this offseason and how I may have coped and dealt with it. I could definitely see myself not fully committed to Baseball under those circumstances. Especially with the added loss of friends.

Archived