Brewer Fanatic

Arizona Interest in Brewers Pitchers

Skeets you're essentially suggesting that the DBacks are going to the World Series beating the likes of Atl,Cincy,St. L. and Pitts in the playoffs?

If a NL GM is building his team to position itself for what 2-4Games max worth of using a DH? The guy has issues.

He needs to prioritize making the playoffs first.

My best thought in seeing Gallardo work for Arizona is taking either Kennedy or McCarthy off them in the trade. It'd be a Roster move for Arizona and either of the two fill the SP hole created by Gallardo leaving. This having in mind no Delgado/Skaggs in return.

The thought is Arizona is just giving them up to just get rid of them. Addition by subtraction. They are better this year and next by doing so.

Milwaukee can take it as a chance of having a veteran SP on the team rest of the season and maybe some kind of rebirth type year the following.

Still there will be prospects coming Milwaukee's way. Davidson has to be a lock. Plus who then.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
]I fear Skaggs with his Marcum like FB 88-90 won't hold up to #1 potential and potentially if he suffers control issues with his secondary stuff, never reach #2 levels.

Marcum like FB...? Where did you get that scouting report? Everything I've read this year says that he works more like Gallardo did at that age, 91-94 and topping out in the mid 90s.

Skaggs velocity has increased each of the last 2 seasons, he's from the some Angles draft class as Mike Trout.

You might be looking at a draft day report?

Skaggs' fastball sits in the 88-91 mph range, peaking at 92, and his four-seamer is most effective when it darts to his arm side

Fangraphs has his average FB at 89.8. That's right in line with all the other soft tossers we've masqueraded as starting pitchers the last decade under Melvin.

Lets not jump to conclusions over a grand total of 9 starts over 2 seasons in which he's performed poorly. If I thought he was going to have an average FB velocity below 91 I wouldn't be championing him at all.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Several things point to Arizona being willing to part with Skaggs. A. They desperately want a solid veteran to solidify their rotation down the stretch and prefer one they control beyond this year. B. They already have two young lefties at the top of their rotation in Corbin and Miley and C. Their bullpen needs some help at the back end.

Brewers have pieces they need. I don't worry that Skaggs hasn't yet been offered up. It's July 5th and they likely haven't made their best offer yet. Davidson and Skaggs are guys Melvin should be holding out for.

What about targeting Chris Owings and Matt Davidson? Then we can go into next year w/ an infield of Hunter Morris/Hart/FA, Owings, Segura and Davidson? That is a nice young cost controlled infield.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/20130704prospects-give-arizona-diamondbacks-good-bait-for-trade.html?nclick_check=1

A little writeup I found about Arizona's trade pieces. It sounds like the best players to get would be Owings and Holmberg.

The scout mentions Skaggs once again not being a "Slam Dunk" for a pitching prospect. And Skaggs having Mid-Rotation Upside.

Davidson, with questions on his defense and bat speed. It sounds a bit like he's a Corey Hart offensively .260s with 20+HRs a season.

The Arizona prospects don't sound as appealing when you read the writeups. I'd still hope for a Davidson/Holmberg/Barrett trade out of any trade.

Skaggs hasn't been great in the majors but the potential is definatly there. owings k:bb rate is TERRIBLE. He's been nearly 7 to 1 through the minors. Holmberg/spruill/davidson is a nice package if towers don't budge from skaggs.

3 hits after 8 innings for Skaggs. Not bad at all.

well it was vs a lineup missing it's best 2 hitters which is also 2 of the best in all of baseball.

But I'm sure this just cements the idea that he's UNtradeable.

So if he gave up 5 runs walked 10 and K'd none he would have been tradeable?

I still don't get why people are so hung up on individual games as like they matter in a trade. If a GM makes a decision based on a few individual games they deserve to be fired.

Yes Nate, I think he gets taken out of trade talks after a single game start that leads their team to victory. At least when talking about a prospect with the upside like Skaggs.

It seems Arizona is looking to win this year, something I'm not agreeing with, but if they want to win this year, Skaggs individual starts that continue looking unimpressive he becomes an afterthought in helping the team win this year.

So enter Gallardo, a Pitcher who's finished each of the last 2seasons looking like a #2.

Skaggs' start should lead to another look, and with each time out he more than likely going to show enough to stay as an asset for this season.

I just watched the highlights of Skaggs start last night and I'm even more unsure about him now than I was before. He topped at 90 MPH and was sitting 89 from the 3rd inning on last night. He has an amazing curveball but that FB is gonna struggle to get by hitters if they're looking for it.

I hope the Indians are serious about their rumored interest in Gallardo. I'd rather take a package built around Trevor Bauer or Francisco Lindor than Tyer Skaggs TBH.

@WiscoSportsNut

Verified Member
I hope the Indians are serious about their rumored interest in Gallardo. I'd rather take a package built around Trevor Bauer or Francisco Lindor than Tyer Skaggs TBH.

Lindor is not even close to possible for Gallardo. Only reason I could see them trading Bauer is because he has struggled so much this season.

Community Moderator
I just watched the highlights of Skaggs start last night and I'm even more unsure about him now than I was before. He topped at 90 MPH and was sitting 89 from the 3rd inning on last night. He has an amazing curveball but that FB is gonna struggle to get by hitters if they're looking for it.

It looks like he threw approx 25 pitches over 90 mph, topping at 92 mph. He primarily threw his two-seam fastball last night which he typically throws with slightly less velocity, but greater movement. His average two-seam velocity was 89.5 mph last night.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Even though his ERA got screwed in the end, I thought Yo was much better tonight.

He wasn't great, but he was good, and with a solid team behind him, he'd be fine...which is exactly who I think he is.

I would trade for him. I would not give up a top 20 prospect in a deal for him, but I might give up a top 50, depending on where my team stood, and how deep its farm system was at the time.

I have a feeling scouts who saw him tonight will essentially draw the same conclusion...get him if you want him, but don't go crazy.

Does the acquisition of Nolasco by the Dodgers do anything to make the DBacks loosen up on a top-tier prospect like Skaggs? Want some irony? Nolasco will probably make his first Dodgers start early next week against.... the DBacks. Immediately following the Dodgers on the Dbacks schedule? The Brewers.

The DBacks also have a ton of division games this month before the deadline including stands with Colorado, the Dodgers, Giants, and the Padres.

I think you answered your question Skeets. When Nolasco faces the Dodgers and what the result is. If Nolasco flames, I don't think Arizona will feel all that much pressure to match up the Dodgers in pitching. If Nolasco turns around dominates Arizona and gets a win. They may look at themselves as needing to fix their need more desparately.

On the other hand, Skaggs could go 8ip of shutout ball again and the DBacks just squash the notion of needing to find any SP at all.

Verified Member
Does the acquisition of Nolasco by the Dodgers do anything to make the DBacks loosen up on a top-tier prospect like Skaggs? Want some irony? Nolasco will probably make his first Dodgers start early next week against.... the DBacks. Immediately following the Dodgers on the Dbacks schedule? The Brewers.

The DBacks also have a ton of division games this month before the deadline including stands with Colorado, the Dodgers, Giants, and the Padres.

Considering the Dodgers gave up absolutely nothing for Nolasco, if anything I feel like it hurts Gallardo's trade value. Obviously Gallardo is still better than Nolasco and has an extra year of team control, but it doesn't help when roughly comparable pitchers are going for peanuts.

SRB. You may or may not be right.

Loria gets what he wants. 5.7million back in his pocket. He already has his baseline of players set for the future. SPs: Fernandez,Turner,Alvarez,Eovaldi,Heaney. Stanton,Yelich,Nicolino,Hecchavarria,Brantly,Marishnick all in place for 2014 and beyond. That is just in time for when Loria can sell the team after having the stadium built for him. A core of these players, Franchise faces, I can see it now. The new owner taking over the team and handing Stanton and Fernandez fat contracts of 8years to showcase to the fans new ownership leading a new way of running a franchise.

Meanwhile Loria likely walks away with over 600million for practically nothing when he was given the Marlins and had a Stadium built for him.

Forgot to add that the point is in the weak trade. The Marlins ruined their bargaining when they declared that Nolasco was to be traded 4 days ago before his last start Weds. Any teams wanting Nolasco, are wise to just throw crap offers and see if the Marlins take it since they want him out.

There was a rumor that the Rockies offered better prospects but wanted the salary paid. Loria didn't want to pay the salary, his bottom line before these any of these prospects in return make the "Sold team" matters more importantly. If he's not getting a top 100 prospect to advertise for the future then he went straight for the money return. Not only that but the Marlins gave up More international slot money so less spending.

The best part of the Nolasco deal is that it takes one of the only remaining starters off the market. Gallardo and Garza are the top 2 available starters now, and there are a lot more than 2 teams that need starters. Him going to the Dodgers isn't a bad thing either since the D'Backs, Padres, and Rockies are all possible or rumored suitors for Gallardo.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived