Brewer Fanatic

Arizona Interest in Brewers Pitchers

Jon Paul Morosi at foxsports.com is reporting that Diamondbacks still "showing continued interest in multiple Milwaukee Brewers pitchers".

Names Gallardo, Axford, Henderson, & Rodriguez.

Says "No deal appeared close or imminent as of Wednesday night."

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz/article/sources_dbacks_discussing_milwaukee_pitchers/13968829

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who is a realistic target from the Dbacks if say they took Gallardo and one of our relievers. I don't know their system to well to be honest

Just going off the Mlb.com top 20 list for them is Davidson realistic at all? could be our future 3b? especially now that they have prado.

This is very good news if you ask me.

One wonders, let's speculate the 3b Davidson. Hard to give up if you ask me, but what if the Brewers threw Francisco with Gallardo/KRod in trade to accomodate Arizona parting away with Davidson. And then try adding Skaggs or 2 or SP prospects with Holmberg+

If Milwaukee gives up Francisco, the acquisition of Francisco gives Arizona the depth to move Prado back out in the OF time to time which also solves that speculated need.

All things considered, I'd take something promising right now for Gallardo, as he's fallen in to the not that promising category that is also expensive.

The biggest thing with any deals sending Gallardo/Lohse away is the fact that there's nobody to step forward in their shoes immediately aside from taking both Nelson/Jungmann to take their place right?

So speculating a return in this deal likely should include Skaggs, so he can immediately be in the Brewers Starting rotation.

Or you're including a guy like Zeke Spruill to come along in the deal to be a Starter which then means Holmberg/Spruill plus Davidson? I think that is where adding Francisco in the mix comes because I think Davidson And Holmberg is currently to much to ask for Gallardo plus RP.

If we're trading with AZ and Bradley is untouchable, which he should be, then we should target Skaggs, Davidson, and Holmberg. Send whatever it takes to get that package.

Then you can flip Ramirez + for Stripling/Lee and Seager from the Dodgers and I'd be super excited about the future.

Skaggs is a #2, Stripling/Lee and Holmberg should be #3s, Davidson could take over 3B in 2014 and we'd have Seager and Neuhaus behind him in the minors. We'd have 2 legit 3B prospects and we have 3 legitimate SS prospects between A+ and R+, hopefully between those guys we'd get our 3B of the future and a 2B to pair with Segura.

We'd still be very thin on 1/2 type pitchers as an organization, but if Peralta ascends I'd take 2 #2s and 3 #3s for the rotation.

Edit. I don't really care who we throw in for AZ, any of the AA/AAA pitchers not named Jimmy Nelson.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

If we're trading with AZ and Bradley is untouchable, which he should be, then we should target Skaggs, Davidson, and Holmberg. Send whatever it takes to get that package.

Then you can flip Ramirez + for Stripling/Lee and Seager from the Dodgers and I'd be super excited about the future.

Skaggs is a #2, Stripling/Lee and Holmberg should be #3s, Davidson could take over 3B in 2014 and we'd have Seager and Neuhaus behind him in the minors. We'd have 2 legit 3B prospects and we have 3 legitimate SS prospects between A+ and R+, hopefully between those guys we'd get our 3B of the future and a 2B to pair with Segura.

We'd still be very thin on 1/2 type pitchers as an organization, but if Peralta ascends I'd take 2 #2s and 3 #3s for the rotation.

Edit. I don't really care who we throw in for AZ, any of the AA/AAA pitchers not named Jimmy Nelson.

That's great Crew but the problem is the Plus that goes to LA or Arz is the same each would want. KRod or Henderson. Maybe Axford.

So when 1 deal is done it's harder to work with. I'm going to assume a team takes both Axford(team controlled)and KRod as a rental so Axford is in place for next season if that team cannot keep KRod.

I don't know what's going to happen honestly, if Gallardo improves, ARam improves and teams get desparate maybe we can talk upper echelon of prospects that right now don't sound realistic. Of course to start 2013 I'd think both Arz/LAD would have done the upper echelon of deals in an instant and we as Brewer fans likely would have been upset with those deals.

You wonder if posturing is taking place by asking for Skaggs in the discussion. Which is great imo. Maybe the team doesn't just settle with Skaggs and low tier prospect. But instead get what we hope which is a duo of upper prospects plus that lower tier prospect.

You could swap so many players in trade with the DBacks to make something happen. Say Owings for example. Since Arz doesn't have a true place for him ask for him but offer up Scooter to be a AAAA backup to Hill. Owings,Davidson,Holmberg? for Gallardo,Gennett, KRod/Axford.

Done deal?

Community Moderator
It seems that many MLB teams are very secretive and operate very much under the radar when it comes to potential trades/transactions. And then on the other hand you have the D'backs who seem to have their potential trade targets and trade chips communicated to the entire baseball world. I am not sure to what extent it is intentional on their part, but I guess on some level it could be argued that leaking potential trade chips within your own organization may bring additional unexpected suitors to the table. For instance if another team is high on a player like Skaggs, and now believe he is available, they may potentially enter the bidding and increase his trade value.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Prado and Hill are both signed for three more years at $11M/year. No room for Davidson; wondering if Arizona is trying to push Davidson plus others and DM is pushing back and asking for Skaggs.

Plenty of guys to toss in with Gallardo/Axford to Arizona to sweeten the pot. Take your pick of A-ball OFs not named Taylor, take your pick of lower lever college RHP (Gagnon, Goforth, Magnifico, Wagner).

Verified Member
Skaggs plus??? I would trade Gallardo and our entire bullpen for Skaggs. That would be a fantastic return, they don't need to add anything. Isn't he the top LHP prospect in baseball?

I'm probably going to get laughed out of this discussion, but here's my take. I'd go for the blockbuster deal. Gallardo for Skaggs isn't a blockbuster at all and IMO and is an overpay by the Brewers. Gallardo plus 1 good RP is an overpay by us as well.

I would trade Gallardo, Henderson, K-Rod, and Axford for Archie Bradley and Skaggs. Do the Diamondback really need any of those pitching prospects if they get Gallardo for 2.5 years? That in my opinion makes Bradley tradeable instead of untouchable. The Brewers can and should totally be willing to trade any of those 3 RP's for that pitching return.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I think the risk with Skaggs is that his stuff might not be as good as reported. Pitch F/X has his fastball in the 89-90 range. Not horrible but it makes it more difficult for him to be a 1-2 starter and may end up as more of a 3 (I haven't seen him pitch so I really have no opinion on that). However, given that he's essentially free for the next 3 years compared to $12-$15M for Yo, and I have a hard time believing that the excess value provided by Skaggs wouldn't exceed that of Gallardo.

If we could do like Yo/Ax for Skaggs/Davidson, I'd personally wet myself.

I would trade Gallardo, Henderson, K-Rod, and Axford for Archie Bradley and Skaggs. Do the Diamondback really need any of those pitching prospects if they get Gallardo for 2.5 years? That in my opinion makes Bradley tradeable instead of untouchable. The Brewers can and should totally be willing to trade any of those 3 RP's for that pitching return.

I think we'd get laughed off the phone if we offered that for Bradley and Skaggs. Ax and K-Rod are having great years but they are true rentals. I think it's highly unlikely that the D-Backs are going to trade a legit ace prospect for 30 innings of each. The Brewers will likely end up with a teams top 10-20 prospect for either of those guys. Henderson may be a different story as he still has a few years of team control. However, he's already 30 so maybe we'll get a team's #7-8 ish prospect but I wouldn't imagine too much more than that.

That's great Crew but the problem is the Plus that goes to LA or Arz is the same each would want.

Both team will want relievers sure... you build one deal around Gallardo, build the other around Ramirez. Skaggs is the best prospect so DM should focus there and build a package around Skaggs, If we can't pull Davidson, that's fine with me, we can always sign another FA to hold down 3B next off season.

If the Dodgers want Ramirez and relief help then once again send whatever it takes to get the 2 guys we'd want.

K-Rod, Axford, Henderson, Gonzalez, Gorzelanny, Badenhop, Kintzler, Figaro, whomever, send 2 or 3 to each team if necessary. They are relievers and we're trading up in value getting starting pitching and position players back. We have plenty of starting pitchers between AA and AAA that could potentially be decent relievers.

If we have to throw a pitching prospect into each deal I'm okay with that, we'd be getting better pitching prospects than we're giving up. The only guy I'd rather not deal is Nelson, but if I have to give up Nelson to get Skaggs + Davidson, well so be it.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Skaggs plus??? I would trade Gallardo and our entire bullpen for Skaggs. That would be a fantastic return, they don't need to add anything. Isn't he the top LHP prospect in baseball?

That is my sentiment exactly. But they do have Davidson/Owings 2 players that if we can wiggle away would fit nicely on the team 2014 and beyond. Owings at 2b. Davidson at 3b. Or wiggling Holmberg on top...Or taking Jake Barrett as a future closer. I'd send Henderson in the Gallardo deal if Barret came back in return with Skaggs.. Or snaking Andrew Chafin. Arizona has a bunch of upside guys that I'd try hard to get creative with to acquire more than just Skaggs.

Something I just looked up but Career numbers:

Gallardo: 1,018IP 3.75ERA 1018ks 392BBs 1.309WHIP $4mil owed or less remaining this year 11.25mil next year. 13mil option 2015.

Or Player B:1,076IP 3.84ERA 912Ks 366BBs 1.284WHIP Super-2 Status 4th yr Arb eligible. 5mil or less remaining this year. TBD price next year then Free Agency. Likely making more than 12mil next year.

Who is Player B?

Matt Garza.

Obviously Garza is pitching better now today, but overall, I guess when looking at the market trading for Garza or Gallardo, Gallardo has the intangibles Garza doesn't possess. Younger, Payroll Obligations are known, Controlled 1 more year, Cheaper.

So whatever Garza or Gallardo receive in trade, it sets what the other should be worth. Of course if Arizona gets Gallardo on his current lower value first, they can get away with less cost than if Garza is traded away for a premium haul.

Let's say San Diego goes after Garza and gives up Max Fried to do so? Now, DBacks if they want Gallardo have no choice but to look at parting with Skaggs. Vs. maybe just Holmberg Plus if they are the first to make a deal

I think we'd get laughed off the phone if we offered that for Bradley and Skaggs. Ax and K-Rod are having great years but they are true rentals. I think it's highly unlikely that the D-Backs are going to trade a legit ace prospect for 30 innings of each. The Brewers will likely end up with a teams top 10-20 prospect for either of those guys. Henderson may be a different story as he still has a few years of team control. However, he's already 30 so maybe we'll get a team's #7-8 ish prospect but I wouldn't imagine too much more than that.

Something else to consider is that it looks like the Diamondbacks are scouting RF Alex Rios. What about Gallardo, Aoki, 2 of Henderson, K-Rod, Axford and Cash for Skaggs and Archie Bradley. The Diamondbacks wouldn't be taking on hardly any salary this season and they could very well afford to extend Aoki.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I'd take that deal in a second if I'm the Brewers but I don't think the D-Backs would. I think you can make a case for Yo in exchange for either of the pitchers but the rest of the deal seems like trading a dollar for four quarters.

There's no way we get both Skaggs and Bradley for Gallardo and relievers. In fact, there's no way we're getting Bradley period. Gallardo profiles like a #3 now, he's not the #2 he's been most of his career. Bradley could be an ace and will pitch for AZ in 2014.

To even get AZ to think about Skaggs and Bradley in one deal you'd have offer both Gallardo and Gomez plus who knows what else, but I bet AZ would just want to send Eaton and different pitching back instead of Bradley.

- Plato

- Plato

I'd take that deal in a second if I'm the Brewers but I don't think the D-Backs would. I think you can make a case for Yo in exchange for either of the pitchers but the rest of the deal seems like trading a dollar for four quarters.

Aoki is right up there with the top lead off hitters in baseball. He's a really really good player. People tend to forget that. Many said last season he couldn't sustain it, but he's proven them wrong. He's making max 2.5 million this season with incentives, so he's super cheap. He very valuable in a trade. Henderson is going to be great closer for multiple seasons and I wouldn't be surprised if a deal does happen with Arizona if they specifically request him over the others. He's going to be super cheap for 2.5 more years, and a great asset.

This deal is good for BOTH sides, because of the talent and affordability.

Gallardo, reliever, reliever may be enough to get Skaggs and another done. I'd hope we may be able to get Skaggs / Holmberg but it's probably hoping too much. Should they include Aoki, then I think Skaggs / Holmberg becomes very realistic. The other thing is that Ramirez actually fits them well too. Prado isn't impressing anyone and he could DH in the playoffs.

He's a really really good player. People tend to forget that.

That depends on what "really good" is? Aoki's wOBA (.326) is currently good enough for 38th. He's 47th (.7) in WAR, 43rd in OPS (.729), and 59th in ISO (.084). So he's pretty average as far as MLB OFs, and now that he's a free agent after 2014 that changes his value significantly.

I think you are severely undervaluing Bradley because he's an "unproven" prospect and overvaluing Aoki. Would you trade Bradley for Nick Markakis because that's who Aoki is roughly equivalent to in the OF and from a contract status standpoint? I wouldn't make that deal.

Here's Bradley's scouting report, I'd love to have him, but Gallardo, Aoki, + for the #12 and #25 prospects in baseball? There's just no way.

When the Diamondbacks failed to sign No. 6 overall selection Barrett Loux in 2010, they got the seventh choice in 2011 as compensation. That pick became Bradley, who turned down the chance to play quarterback at Oklahoma for a $5 million bonus. After pitching two innings in his first pro summer, he jumped to low Class A South Bend in 2012, ranking as the Midwest League’s top pitching prospect while leading in opponent average (.181), but also in walks (84).Scouting Report: Arizona has a pair of potential No. 1 starters in the system, and Bradley has the most electric arm. His fastball ranges from 93-98 mph, though he doesn’t always command it well because a high leg kick can throw off his mechanics. At least when he misses, he misses down in the strike zone. Bradley’s above-average 12-to-6 curveball gives him a second swing-and-miss pitch, and he’s developing feel for an average changeup with nice sink. He has the athleticism and easy delivery to develop solid control, as well as a strong build for durability.

The Future: Bradley made significant strides with his command in instructional league, so he could take off in 2013. With a deep pool of pitching prospects ahead of him, Arizona won’t have to rush Bradley, who will spend all or most of the year at high Class A Visalia.

[pre]Year Age Tm Lg Lev ERA IP BB SO WHIP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB

2013 20 Visalia CALL A+ 1.26 28.2 10 43 1.116 6.9 0.3 3.1 13.5 4.30

2013 20 Mobile SOUL AA 2.04 70.2 30 69 1.189 6.9 0.4 3.8 8.8 2.30[/pre]

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table

- Plato

- Plato

Sorry PFX. Bradley may honestly be The BEST Prospect in all of Baseball Today. He's certainly the best Pitching Prospect. The rankings haven't caught up to it but Bradley will enter next season top 5 prospect in all of the minors. Count it. I'd trade Gomez today for him. That's how huge a Pitching prospect he is. Already had a discussion about this in the Gomez thread but Gomez for Bradley straight up was discussed as being hung up on. I don't even think Segura(due to age) could net Bradley at this point. He's untouchable.

I made my proposal of Francisco to be included in the deal to get Skaggs/Davidson. Or Scooter to get Owings. The Francisco idea helps fill DBacks OF need by sliding Prado in to it. DBacks could rotate Eaton/Prado/Francisco under certain platoon situations.

I don't know why the DBacks are searching for OF help. Eaton is there. Kubel. Parra. Prado. and Pollock. I think it's more in speculation because they aren't getting the numbers you expect and the team should look to improve when looking at the numbers. But they have able bodies. Eaton comes off the DL and who knows how big an impact he makes? But it could be bigger than any OF they try acquiring in trade.

I'd like to know, (and I'm sure we'll find out), which team is hesitant at this point.

Based on Gallardo's stats this season, it could be AZ, but I'm not convinced the Brewers have decided to deal Yo yet either.

I think this deal will happen, it fits what each team is looking for, and AZ can afford to move prospects who happen to match what the Brewers need most at the moment.

Archived