Brewer Fanatic

Grantland article (Keri) - The Rise and Fall of the Milwaukee Brewers

bjkrautk
..the Brewers have tried to patch things up with terrible players like Betancourt and Alex Gonzalez. FanGraphs's Jeff Sullivan recently summed up the result: The Brewers own the worst first-base OPS for any team since 1947.

:embarrassed

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Now that Skaggs is up in the show, I'm guessing they aren't going to move him. So the rumor is moot.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Bottom line, we may not need to make many trades, but we need to do something. I think Gomez may be our best bet to turn things quickly. Trade him.

Knowing everything we know about Melvin's philosophy of 'uncommon patience and resolve' coupled with Attanasio's fundamental belief of building a core of players for fans to grow and identify with, I'd say there's a less than zero chance Gomez is traded any time soon...especially with the level of success he's having this season.

And one other thing I found interesting was that Attanasio's quotes regarding the finances seemed to contradict the prevailing previous tone. The takeaway (for me, anyway) was that things are in good shape, financially. Obviously not major market robust, but also not Houston Astros either.

And one other thing I found interesting was that Attanasio's quotes regarding the finances seemed to contradict the prevailing previous tone. The takeaway (for me, anyway) was that things are in good shape, financially. Obviously not major market robust, but also not Houston Astros either.

Not really sure what your point is about Houston. They make $80 million per year from their local TV contract alone, their payroll is under $40 million. They're in great shape financially.

The articles I read about the DBacks and Brewers talking involved multiple pitchers, Yo being one of them. There's no reason to think that the Brewers wouldn't package Gallardo and somebody like Axford together for Skaggs. And I don't think his being called up to the Majors diminishes the likelihood that he'll be traded. Rather, they might be showcasing him for potential trading partners.

Gallardo, KRod or Axford and a minor leaguer for Skaggs. Or hell, Gallardo, Ramirez, and a minor league arm. Do it. Skaggs immediately becomes the best pitcher in our organization. His ceiling is very high.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Archived