Brewer Fanatic

Corey Hart - Realistic re-sign value. Should we even try?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I kind of hope Hart doesn't resign with us. I want to see what Melvin does if he doesn't. Does he continue the believing we are a playoff team? Does he go with a young guy? Does he make a trade for somebody?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think getting a nice LH bat for the bench would be almost necessary if we resign Hart.

I would bet that Doug Melvin thinks he already has that person on the roster--Juan Francisco.

Caleb Gindl figures to be a key LH bench bat when he's not starting. Schafer is also still around as the only backup option in CF. Green might be in the mix to fight with Francisco as well.

I kind of hope Hart doesn't resign with us. I want to see what Melvin does if he doesn't. Does he continue the believing we are a playoff team? Does he go with a young guy? Does he make a trade for somebody?

Nobody is a playoff team at this point. There's 162 game schedule to be played. Wasting prime years of Gomez, Lucroy and Braun and the final year of Ramirez to not compete for the playoffs isn't in Melvin's DNA nor should it be. If the choice is Hart or one of the names mentioned in a trade, they should go with Hart. The rest of what's out there is significantly less than what a healthy Hart offers.

While I think Hart is the right choice for 1B, I have to say that I also have some small interest in seeing what Melvin will do in the event Hart is not re-signed. While Hart is undoubtedly the best option, he is also the oldest of the known options and would have the least amount of years left in terms of team control. Davis and Morrison were both highly thought of prospects who have yet to reach their potential but the potential remains and if the Brewers could tap into it, they have a team controlled 1B for a longer period of time. This will also give them some roster flexibility as well with Morris and Rogers about a year away.

I agree with this to an extent, but I am in absolute fear of what Melvin will give up for Davis in panic mode if we don't get Hart...

I just don't trust his judgement sometimes...If we give up anything other than minor league fodder, it tells you just what the organization truly thinks of Morris and Rogers...

Just sign Hart already, and hope that when his 1 or 2 year deal is up, one of Morris, Halton, or Rogers is ready to take over... Why add another player in our already full log jam at 1B in the minors unless Doug does not feel they will cut it at the big league level?

I'd hate to have Davis blocking one of our other guys for 2 or 3 years just because he is on our roster and we had to overpay to get him.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Via Bob Nightingale on Twitter, Brewers offered roughly $8million with incentives. Considering Hart was only worth $9.9million when healthy in 2012 (and is obviously a massive risk going into 2014), I'm fine with not going higher.

If true, I really want to see the financials of the deal. If the numbers are close, I would say that Hart's "pay cut" talk was pretty disingenuous.

Now what...?

I could easily see from Corey's p.o.v. the situation being that he made that desire to stay public months ago, & the Brewers pursued other options first.

But the only thing that likely made a difference is that Seattle offered more money.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived