Brewer Fanatic

First Trade of the Trade Season: RHP Feldman & C Clevenger to BAL, RHP Arrieta & RHP Strop to CHC

There's the Cubs going after more bonus money as they are expected to be major players in Latin America this year.

I always like Jake Arrieta, too bad he's never lived up to his potential.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

hmm, would have like to see Arrieta come to the crew in something... seems like he just needs a change of scenery, great move for the cubs. Told my cousin from chicago, who thought the cubs would be good this year... idiot :p, that the only reason epstein spent the way he did this off-season was to load up on trade assets, unfortunately he'll like have the cubs turned around in 3-4 years.

hmm, would have like to see Arrieta come to the crew in something... seems like he just needs a change of scenery, great move for the cubs. Told my cousin from chicago, who thought the cubs would be good this year... idiot :p, that the only reason epstein spent the way he did this off-season was to load up on trade assets, unfortunately he'll like have the cubs turned around in 3-4 years.

I wouldn't want either of the pitchers they got in this deal. Arrieta's 27 and has gotten progressively worse. He hardly classifies as a prospect anymore. This entire deal was about getting more money to spend on one specific international player the Cubs have their sights set on. It's a good deal from Baltimore's perspective. They get a rotation piece without giving up much in the way of talent.

I wouldn't speculate this is only about the bonus pool money. Arrieta could turn a corner. Really the guy on a losing team is the kind of player that you would like to acquire if you can showcase him and then flip him again. And I wouldn't doubt it could happen before the trade deadline if Arrieta has 3 outta 4 decent starts for Chicago.

Someone speculated as a potential throw with Garza in trade on MLBTR. Nice speculation if you ask me.

I was hoping the O's wanted Gallardo. They go for cheap solutions, so one team that actually had something to offer the Brewers has made their move. Too bad, Doug didn't take a risk. Kranitz knows the Orioles pitchers.

I would hope the Brewers would get a lot more for Gallardo than two 27-year-old pitchers each sporting >7.00 ERA and 1.700 WHIP. Pretty cheap return for Feldman, even if he is going to be a free agent. At least he's off the market; supply reduced for remaining buyers.

from the Cubs' perspective, throw out the players they got in return - they traded Feldman for the slot money for international FA signings this offseason. The new CBA screwed one of Theo's avenues to quickly build the Cubs from scratch with restricting the amount teams could pay for international free agents regularly (Cubs would have been big players for Puig had they not spent most all of their available pool on Soler). The result of this trade is that the Cubs will likely be able to sign two top international free agents this offseason.

The result of this trade is that the Cubs will likely be able to sign two top international free agents this offseason.

You mean starting today? The international signing period started today, and the Cubs signed #2 already and were heavily linked to #1.

Where The Top 30 International Prospects Have Signed

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I would hope the Brewers would get a lot more for Gallardo than two 27-year-old pitchers each sporting >7.00 ERA and 1.700 WHIP. Pretty cheap return for Feldman, even if he is going to be a free agent. At least he's off the market; supply reduced for remaining buyers.

I didn't mean to imply Arrieta and Strop for Yo. Just that this move makes it less likely the O's would have interest in Gallardo.

I wouldn't want either of the pitchers they got in this deal. Arrieta's 27 and has gotten progressively worse. He hardly classifies as a prospect anymore. This entire deal was about getting more money to spend on one specific international player the Cubs have their sights set on. It's a good deal from Baltimore's perspective. They get a rotation piece without giving up much in the way of talent.

That's pretty short sighted to me. While it's unlikely that he's ever going to turn it around, sometimes it takes power arms a little while to develop.

Especially since the Cubs received slot money, I'd GLADLY take a chance on a former top prospect who can throw in the mid 90's. I don't know what you'd really expect for what the Cubs gave up. Feldman wasn't much better before this year than Arrietta and had a whole heckuva lot less upside.

And when you say, "I wouldn't want," I assume you mean the Brewers.....a team not exactly flush with starting pitching right now. Sometimes you just have to just try to flat out get lucky. There are a couple players every year like Arrieta who thrive after struggling early in their career.

In FACT, I distinctly remember you bemoaning the JJ Hardy for Carlos Gomez trade over the first few years of Gomez' tenure in Milwaukee because of consistent struggles in Minnesota and Milwaukee. The list of pitchers would be a mile longer.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I didn't mean to imply Arrieta and Strop for Yo. Just that this move makes it less likely the O's would have interest in Gallardo.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty obvious. Though I don't know if the O's are exactly set with starting pitching if they want to be a serious contender in the post-season. Love their lineup, defense.

I could see the Brewers packaging Weeks and Gallardo to Baltimore(and eating some money) as long as Weeks continues to hit as well as he has as of late. That'd really fill in their IF> Weiters, Crush, Weeks, Hardy, Machado and a pretty nice OF.

Not likely to happen, but I have little faith in McClouth keeping it up and even if he does, they have no DH.

Just another good matchup club.

The fans will come back, so dump every penny of salary that you can, build up a reserve like the Packers did/do and after a couple lean seasons, top 5-10 picks, and young talent and...hey...maybe we're back sooner than expected.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived