Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Tue. 7/2 - Rattlers' Arcia injures ankle again; Helena tosses one-hitter (and loses)

Final: Chattanooga 5 Huntsville 1

Chattanooga jumped out to another early lead Tuesday night at The Joe, but this time they were able to hang on and defeat the Huntsville Stars 5-1. The Stars got a good start from Brooks Hall. Hall (0-3, 8.24) turned in probably his best AA start, working 5 innings, giving up 3 runs, 2 earned on 6 hits. Hall didn't allow a walk and struck out 3. One of the 6 hits was a solo home run to Dodger top prospect Joc Pederson. Hall threw 78 pitches, 54 for strikes and had a 8-3 ground out to fly out ratio.

The Stars got 4 innings of relief from their bullpen tonight. 2 scoreless innings from Frankie De La Cruz. De La Cruz allowed a hit and struck out 1 over those 2 innings. Righty Greg Holle was touched up for 2 runs on 3 hits, a walk and a hit batter over his 2 innings of work. Holle did strike out 1.

Defensively, Brock Kjeldgaard was back in the line up after missing 3 games with a lower body injury and recorded his team leading 6th outfield assist.

Huntsville Box Score

The Stars, offensively, were held in check tonight. They were only able to muster 5 hits and draw 2 walks while scratching out 1 run. Second baseman Shea Vucinich continued his clutch hitting of late. Shea drove in the only Stars run with a 5th inning single. For the series, Vucinich is 4 for 12 with a home run and 6 RBI's. Huntsville's only extra base hit was a second inning double from Mike Walker. Chadwin Stang, Shawn Zarraga, and Brock Kjeldgaard had the Stars other hits. Nick Shaw drew a pinch hit walk and scored the only Stars run. Shortstop Hector Gomez had the other base on balls. All-Star Kentrail Davis recorded his 18th stolen base tonight. The Stars as a team have 37, fewest in the Southern League. Birmingham has the most with 113. Pensacola is 2nd to last with 49.

Huntsville Play By Play

The Stars only run scored in the 5th.

Huntsville Bottom of the 5th

Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter Nick Shaw replaces Brooks Hall.

Nick Shaw walks.

Chadwin Stang singles on a fly ball to left fielder Brian Cavazos-Galvez. Nick Shaw to 2nd.

Shea Vucinich singles on a fly ball to left fielder Brian Cavazos-Galvez. Nick Shaw scores. Chadwin Stang to 2nd.

Kentrail Davis grounds into a double play, third baseman Sean Burroughs to second baseman Osvaldo Martinez. Chadwin Stang out at 3rd. Shea Vucinich out at 2nd. Kentrail Davis to 1st.

With Jason Rogers batting, Kentrail Davis steals (18) 2nd base.

Jason Rogers grounds out, shortstop Miguel Rojas to first baseman J. T. Wise.

The 5th game of the series is scheduled for tomorrow evening. Huntsville (4-10 2nd half, 33-49 overall) right hander Andy Moye (3-9, 4.59) will be on the mound for the Stars. Game time is set for 6:43 Central with Stars play-by-play man Alex Cohen starting things at 6:28 with the pregame show.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

LINK INCLUDES VIDEO INTERVIEW WITH TYLER WAGNER (it includes many of the quotes seen below)

Timber Rattlers pitcher Tyler Wagner stellar in victory over Kane County

by Mike Woods, Post-Crescent Media

GRAND CHUTE — After throwing one of the best games of his professional career, Tyler Wagner knew he had only a few hours to enjoy it.

“It’s definitely something I can remember,” said Wagner after giving up five hits and three runs in the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers’ 5-3 Midwest League victory over Kane County on Tuesday on Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium.

“Just don’t dwell on it and don’t think too much of it.”

But there was a lot to talk about.

After a rough first inning in which he gave up three hits — including a two-run home run — and had to be bailed out with a pair of solid defensive plays, Wagner (7-6) suddenly found his groove.

After giving up a leadoff single in the second, he recorded 22 straight outs before giving up another hit with one out in the ninth. His 8 1⁄3 innings was a career best.

Of the 25 outs he recorded, 20 were groundouts, he struck out three and there were two fly outs. He threw 103 pitches and recorded 62 strikeouts.

It was impressive. But it was only one game.

“I think he takes it right now and learns from it and (today) he’d better condition a little bit more because he couldn’t finish nine innings today,” said Timber Rattlers manager Matt Erickson, “and then it’s back to his five-day routine and he’s going to be right back on the mound here in five days. I don’t think you read much into it good or bad, you just try to execute each fifth day when you go out there.”

The execution was spot-on for much of Tuesday’s game.

“He’s kind of a rhythm guy and that’s not uncommon for him to have a little bit of a slow start,” said Erickson, “but usually he finds a nice little rhythm and today he got a lot of ground balls early in the count and had a couple of really quick innings.

“His pitch count was low deep into the game and, obviously, that’s what we preach. That’s what we’ve been trying to get most of the year, that kind of execution. If you do that, you’re going to have a chance to get deep into the game and possibly finish some. I wanted to see if he could finish. He was still under his pitch count, so that was a good day for him all around.”

Wagner, a fourth-round pick in the 2012 draft, said he was able to overcome his shaky start with some mental adjustments.

“I made a couple of mistakes in the first inning, left my ball up,” he said. “Just making adjustments to stay through the ball, stay on top of the ball. I think it’s just a mental thing of having trust in your fastball and trust in all your other pitchers that you can get through the whole game.”

Once he conquered that hurdle, he was nearly unhittable.

“My fastball was down with some sink,” said Wagner. “It’s just better for my confidence to know that I can get people out swinging rather than trying to make them miss the ball.

“When I stay down in the zone and stay on top of the ball and create a sink and they hit the top half of the ball and get ground balls, that’s why I try to do.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Dan Powers of the Post Crescent took the photo none of us really want to see:

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers' Orlando Arcia injures his right ankle while trying to score a run against Kane County's catcher Carlos Escobar during their baseball game Tuesday, July 2, 2013, at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium in Grand Chute, Wis. Arcia had to be helped off the field. Dan Powers/Post-Crescent Media

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=U0&Date=20130702&Category=APC0206&ArtNo=307020268&Ref=PH&Item=1&Maxw=620&Maxh=465&q=90

Post-Crescent Photo Gallery

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Stars Stifled by Von Schamann, Lookouts

Alex Cohen, Huntsville Stars

After mounting two straight comeback wins, the Huntsville Stars dropped game four of a five-game series to the Chattanooga Lookouts by a score of 5-1 on Tuesday night at Joe Davis Stadium.

Despite giving up just three runs and six hits through five innings of work, Stars starting pitcher Brooks Hall fell to 0-3 on the season with the loss. Hall put himself in that position when he gave up an RBI single off the bat of Lookouts catcher Matt Wallach in the second inning.

The 23-year-old righty also gave up an RBI double to outfielder Brian Cavazos-Galvez in the third inning while a solo homer by outfielder Joc Pederson gave Chattanooga a 3-0 edge in the fifth inning. For Pederson, the blast was his 14th of the year and his fifth against the Stars in 13 games this year.

In the bottom of the fifth inning, the Stars were able to plate their only run of the game against Chattanooga starting pitcher Duke Von Schamann. Following a leadoff walk drawn by pinch-hitter Nick Shaw and a single from outfielder Chadwin Stang, another single by third baseman Shea Vucinich scored Shaw to put the Stars on the board and cut their deficit to two.

En route to improving his record with the Lookouts to 2-0, Von Schamann gave up that one run on five hits in six innings of work. Aside from Von Schamann, relievers Hector Nelo, Onelki Garcia and Yimi Garcia shutout the Stars offense over the final three innings.

Chattanooga scored their final two runs in the ballgame in the top of the ninth inning on back-to-back RBI singles from pinch-hitter Angelo Songco and second baseman Ozzie Martinez against Stars reliever Greg Holle.

On offense, the Stars had five hits by five different players. Third baseman Mike Walker hit a double in the second inning to give him his third straight game with an extra-base hit while Vucinich now has six runs batted in during three games this series.

On Wednesday, the Stars and Lookouts will wrap up a five-game series at Joe Davis Stadium. Huntsville will send RHP Andy Moye (3-9, 4.59 ERA) for the series-deciding contest of a five-game set. Chattanooga will counter with RHP Ross Stripling (5-1, 2.34 ERA). First pitch is at 6:43 PM.

Fantastic shot from Mike Strasinger for tonight's game story. The pose from Davis, the composition, & the colors are perfect.

Sounds Rally Falls Short In 6-3 Loss

Nashville's Caleb Gindl Goes 2-4 With Two Runs

Nashville Sounds

http://i.imgur.com/JCPJLxP.jpg

Khris Davis (Mike Strasinger / Nashville Sounds)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Nashville Sounds bats came alive late in Tuesday night's contest at Greer Stadium, but the home team was unable to top the Round Rock Express, losing by a 6-3 margin.

Trailing 6-1, Nashville started the ninth with three consecutive hits. Outfielder Caleb Gindl, 2-for-4, hit a single to right field to begin the rally. First baseman Hunter Morris, 2-for-4, and Khris Davis followed with run-scoring doubles. Unfortunately for the Sounds, that is where the rally ended.

The Sounds fell behind early, allowing four runs over the first two innings. Round Rock picked up their first run via infielder Yangervis Solarte's single to right field, scoring Joey Butler in the first inning. Butler had reached base on a ground rule double.

In the second, the Express added three more runs on one swing from designated hitter Mike Bianucci, touching Sounds starter Hiram Burgos (1-3) for a home run to the corner in left-field. Mike Olt and Jim Adduci had singles to lead off the frame and scored on the homer.

Burgos finished with five innings of work for Nashville, taking the loss after allowing four runs on five hits. He fanned two batters and walked one, throwing 76 pitches and 50 for strikes before Travis Webb entered in relief.

Webb had two outs and a runner on first when Round Rock rattled off four singles in the sixth inning to take a 6-0 lead. Bianucci and catcher Eli Whiteside had the two RBI knocks of the inning.

The lefty remained in the game to strike out the side in the seventh and pitch a 1-2-3 eighth. He finished with two walks and six strikeouts. Tim Dillard finished the game for Nashville with a scoreless ninth inning.

Jake Brigham (2-1) received the win for Round Rock, limiting the Sounds to three hits over 6 2/3 innings. His one run allowed came in the seventh, when Sounds catcher Blake Lalli got the home team on the board with his two-out single through the infield. Lalli's hit, against reliever Joseph Ortiz, scored Caleb Gindl, who was Brigham's responsibility.

The Sounds conclude their homestand Wednesday at Greer Stadium, looking to win the three-game series with the Express. Throwing for Nashville will be RHP Jimmy Nelson (0-2, 2.66) against Round Rock's lefty Brad Mills (7-2, 3.78).

The game will be followed by a festive Independence Day Fireworks Celebration, presented by Nashville International Airport. The first 1,500 fans through the gates will receive red, white, and blue Sounds t-shirts courtesy of Something Inked.

Nashville Box

Scooter Gennett: 1-4

Gindl: 2-4

Morris: 2-4, 2B, RBI

K. Davis: 1-4, 2B, RBI

Lalli: 1-4, RBI

[pre]Burgos: 5 IP 5 H 4 R 4 ER 1 BB 4 K 76 TP (50 strikes) 3:7 GO:FO[/pre]

Nashville PbP

The not-quite-enough 9th inning rally:

Nashville Bottom of the 9th

-Pitching Change: Johan Yan replaces Joseph Ortiz.

-Caleb Gindl singles on a line drive to right fielder Joey Butler.

-Hunter Morris doubles (17) on a fly ball to left fielder Aaron Cunningham. Caleb Gindl scores.

-Khris Davis doubles (10) on a line drive to right fielder Joey Butler. Hunter Morris scores.

-Blake Lalli grounds out, first baseman Jim Adduci to pitcher Johan Yan. Khris Davis to 3rd.

-Stephen Parker strikes out swinging.

-Anderson De La Rosa grounds out, third baseman Mike Olt to first baseman Jim Adduci.

Nashville Gameday

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Community Moderator
Occasionally I'll link prospects that other posters were pretty vocal about drafting but we passed on.

Guerrieri remains red-hot for Hot Rods

I'll be honest, for about three seconds today after the notification came up on my phone I thought the Cubs had traded for Taylor Guerrier. At that point I was on the verge of quitting baseball. Thankfully I quickly realized I just can't read.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Final: Great Falls 2, @Helena 0

Helena box score

The H-Crew was shut out for the second straight night, but that's not the weird part. The weird part is that they one-hit Great Falls while racking up ten themselves and still somehow lost 2-0. They walked three, hit a batter, and committed three errors, so there are some other baserunners in there, but still...

David Otterman allowed both runs and all three walks in a four-inning start while fanning two. After him, Tristan Archer, Tanner Poppe, and Juan Santiago tossed five almost-perfect frames, marred only by a hit batter by Santiago. Poppe, recently promoted after just two games in the AZL, was making his Pioneer League debut.

Charlie Markson was rewarded for his hot start with his first appearance in the leadoff spot and responded with three hits; he's comin' for ya, Counsell. Michael Turay and Renaldo Jenkins each added two hits. Jose Pena was on twice with a walk and a HBP but his 0-2 drops his batting average to .209; he has six hits this year, and only one of them is a single (two doubles, three homers), so...sick ISO at least! Clint Coulter was replaced at catcher after just one plate appearance; see below for whatever insight the PBP reveals.

Helena play-by-play

Helena Bottom of the 1st

Charlie Markson grounds out, second baseman Christian Stringer to first baseman Corey Thompson.

Clint Coulter reaches on a throwing error by shortstop Tyler Shryock.

Taylor Brennan grounds into a force out, shortstop Tyler Shryock to second baseman Christian Stringer. Clint Coulter out at 2nd. Taylor Brennan to 1st.

Jose Pena grounds into a force out, shortstop Tyler Shryock to second baseman Christian Stringer. Taylor Brennan out at 2nd.

Not sure if Coulter got shook up at second base there, but he caught the top of the 2nd before exiting to begin the 3rd.

The log is full of missed opportunities if you care to read it, including Dustin Houle striking out with Jenkins on third and Markson on second to end the game.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

As of this AM, the DSL box score / game log on MiLB.com is still not updated. Brad gets his info for his earlier reports via the Dominican Summer League site (notice in the upper right, you can save the info locally for viewing on your PC).

There was one doubleheader game from last week that never did show up on MiLB.com.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sounds pitcher Tim Dillard waits two years to get wins record

by Mack Burke, The Tennessean

Sounds pitcher Tim Dillard won his 36th career game with Nashville on Sunday to become the team's all-time leader in wins. / Shelley Mays, Tennessean File Photo

http://cmsimg.tennessean.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DN&Date=20130703&Category=SPORTS04&ArtNo=307030101&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Nashville-Sounds-pitcher-Tim-Dillard-waits-two-years-get-wins-record

After throwing 2 1⁄3 innings of flawless relief behind starter Johnnie Lowe, who exited after giving up three runs in 4 2⁄3 innings of work, Sounds reliever Tim Dillard captured his 36th career win Sunday night against the Oklahoma City Red Hawks to become the club’s all-time wins leader.

Outfielder Caleb Gindl, who rejoined the Sounds from the Brewers on June 29, hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the seventh inning that put the team ahead 5-3 and lined up Dillard for his eventual record-setting win, which surpassed that of Keith Brown, who pitched for the club from 1988-92.

“Well, I’ve been tied for first for two years,” Dillard said with a laugh. “But last night was perfect, and it’s great because this is a great organization and a great city.”

Dillard stranded two inherited runners in the fifth, and he struck out the side in the sixth.

Reliever Michael Olmstead pitched the eighth inning and recorded the hold, and closer Rob Wooten captured his 17th save.

“Nobody really knew about it, and finally somebody said something (in the clubhouse) and everyone started congratulating me,” Dillard said. “Everyone was wondering why I was king cheerleader in the dugout, but when Gindl hit that home run, I was like, ‘We’re going to win this game!’ ”

The 29-year-old Dillard has pitched for the Sounds in each season since 2007 and has appeared as both a reliever and a starter. He started 2013 with the Lancaster Barnstormers of the Independent Atlantic League, but he returned to the Sounds after the Brewers purchased his contract from Lancaster on May 3.

Dillard has been with the Sounds ever since and is 1-1 with a 2.14 ERA in 21 innings pitched.

The future awaits: Sounds starting pitcher Jimmy Nelson, who has amassed an impressive 2.66 ERA in four starts on the mound since joining the team from Double-A Huntsville on June 5, has been selected to participate in the annual SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game on July 14 during the major league All-Star break. He is the only Sounds player who will play in the game.

“It’s an honor to be able to represent the United States and the Brewers organization,” Nelson said. “This is something I’m looking forward to and have been working hard for, and this is just another one of the steps I’m taking in the right direction.

“It’s a big accomplishment, and I’m very fortunate to be able to play this game. I’ve been blessed with this opportunity.”

The 24-year-old said any extra expectations that might come with his Futures Game selection shouldn’t derail the expectations put in place when the Brewers drafted him.

“There have been expectations since day one when I was drafted and signed, “Nelson said. “Whether you’re picked for an all-star team or not, the expectations are always there.

“You just can’t put too much pressure on yourself, and you just have to go out there and have fun.”

Nelson is in good company among former Sounds who have been named to a Futures Game roster. He joins Aramis Ramirez (1999), Nelson Cruz (2003) and Alcides Escobar (2009).

This season, the Brewers’ 2010 second-round pick is 5-6 with a 2.72 ERA in 16 games started with Double-A Huntsville and the Sounds. He has suffered two losses in Nashville and has yet to capture a win.

When the boss calls: The Sounds have seen a flurry of promotions and demotions since June 26.

The first move of many was starting pitcher Johnny Hellweg, who was promoted to Milwaukee on June 26 to replace Brewers reliever Alfredo Figaro, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list. Hellweg leads the Sounds in wins (seven) and is fourth among starters in ERA (2.82), but in his only two outings with Milwaukee, he has been shelled for six runs on eight hits in 2 2⁄3 innings.

The next day, outfielder Sean Halton was promoted to Milwaukee to replace second baseman Scooter Gennett, who was optioned back to Nashville. Halton was hitting .294 with one homer, six RBIs and a .500 slugging percentage over his last 10 games with Nashville before his promotion. Gennett hit .214 with one home run and five RBIs in 17 games with the Brewers during his first stint in the big leagues.

The Brewers then sent starting pitcher Hiram Burgos on a rehab assignment to the Sounds on June 28, only to abruptly option him to remain in Nashville. This season, Burgos has one win and a 1.99 ERA in 22 2⁄3 innings with the Sounds. With Milwaukee, he has one win and a 6.44 ERA in six starts.

Finally, on June 29, the Brewers called up starting pitcher Tyler Thornburg from the Sounds and optioned outfielder Caleb Gindl back to Nashville.

Thornburg has struggled a bit with the Sounds this season as he has posted an 0-9 record to go along with a disappointing 5.79 ERA in 15 starts, but he has managed to find success in Milwaukee as he has yet to give up a run in nine innings pitched in three outings.

In his first major league action, Gindl impressed with a .250 batting average and an RBI in 10 games. He leads the Sounds in RBIs (40) and is tied for second with nine homers to go along with a .275 average.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Helena Shutout In Second Straight Game

Brewers can't score despite 10 hits

By Zac Vierra / Helena Brewers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/7/6/8/52539768/cuts/32_David_Otterman_P_naeda79l_uut138di.jpg

Seth Eikomstead Photo

One quick glance at Tuesday night's box score and it would be safe to assume an easy victory for the Helena Brewers after out-hitting Great Falls 10-2. But baseball is a strange game and for the second straight night no Helena base runner touched home plate.

Helena was shutout by Great Falls 2-0 at Kindrick Legion Field despite a solid pitching performance by Brewers starter David Otterman (above) and a terrific job by the Helena bullpen which allowed only one base runner in five innings.

Todd Kibby picked up the win for Great Falls tossing five shutout innings.

Otterman's only hiccup in his four innings of work was in the second inning. After retiring the first two batters with ease, Otterman handed a two-out walk to Tyler Shyrock.

The free pass would end up haunting the lefty as Shryock stole second and scored on a double by Jacob Morris. On the play Morris advanced to third when left fielder Jose Pena bobbled the ball in the corner. It would prove to be a costly play as Morris would score on an infield singly by Jacob May.

"We had an error that probably cost us one or two of those runs but you look at it and it's a 0-0 ballgame," said Helena manager Tony Diggs.

Otterman would settle down retiring seven of the last eight batters he faced. But when the Brewers bats couldn't pull through, Otterman was handed the loss after allowing the two runs (one earned) on two hits in four innings. He struck out a pair and walked three.

The bullpen took over in the fourth and kept the Brewers in the game.

Tristan Archer retired all six batters he faced in the fifth and sixth.

In his first appearance with Helena after being called up from Arizona, Tyler Poppe pitched a 1-2-3 seventh inning.

"It's always good to get your feet wet and [Poppe] did it in good fashion today so hopefully its something he can continue to do and build on for this season," said Diggs.

Juan Santiago came into the game in the eighth and pitched two perfect innings with a pair of strikeouts.

"You can't fault pitching for tonight. It was really good," said Diggs.

But Helena could never get a big hit when needed.

In the third with the bases loaded and one out, Nathan Orf hit a rope right at third baseman Nick Basto who caught it and threw to first to double off Pena.

In the seventh the Brewers had two on and one out but Jalen Harris grounded into a 6-3 double play.

Even with those prior missed opportunities Helena brought the winning run to the plate in the ninth off Eric Jaffe.

After Jaffe got two quick outs to start the frame, Renaldo Jenkins and Charlie Markson hit back-to-back singles. The pair would advance into scoring position when Jaffe uncorked a wild pitch, but yet again Helena couldn't score as Dustin Houle struck out on a half swing to end the ballgame.

"We put up 10 hits on the board and we hit into [a few] inning-ending double plays, that's always a pitcher's dream when that happens for you and it's a nightmare when it happens against you. We are swinging the bats well we are playing good defense and everything else we just need to get runs across the plate that's all," said Diggs. "Our approaches [at the plate] are still being solid and that's all you can ask for."

Wednesday the Brewers will try to end a streak of 20 innings without scoring in the final game of the series with Great Falls. First pitch is at 7:05 PM (8:05 Central).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers drop third straight, run scoreless innings streak to 20

By Curt Synness, Helena Independent Record

After a close 2-0 loss to the Great Falls Voyagers in a pitching duel Tuesday at Kindrick Legion Field, the Helena Brewers are now scoreless in their last 20 straight innings.

Great Falls used three pitchers to shut out the Brewers in the Pioneer League tilt, with starter Todd Kibby going five innings for the win. He was relieved by Jose Brito and Eric Jaffe, who went two innings apiece.

Helena starter David Otterman worked four frames and took the hard-luck loss, giving up just two hits and the only two runs of the game in the second frame. Relievers Tristan Archer, Tanner Poppe and Juan Santiago did not allow a Voyagers hit over the last five innings of the contest.

The Voyagers two tallies in the second came on Jacob Morris’ RBI double and a run-scoring single by Jacob May.

Helena actually outhit Great Falls 10-2, but stranded 11 base runners during the evening.

A critical call hurt the Brewers in the third inning, when with the bases loaded and just one out, the Voyagers turned an inning-ending 5-3 double play — but only after the umpires changed their initial safe call at first base.

Dustin Houle singled, followed by a double by Taylor Brennan, moving Houle to third. Jose Pena was hit by a pitch to juice the bags, and then Nathan Orf lined a screamer to third baseman Nick Basto. After checking to see if he had a chance to double up Houle, Basto fired over to first baseman Corey Thompson in an attempt to get Pena.

The field umpire ruled Pena safe, but after Great Falls manager Pete Rose Jr. appealed the call, the home plate ump changed the call to out.

Helena manager Tony Diggs questioned the decision for several moments before heading into the first-base dugout.

“I asked for an explanation, and they made the right call,” Diggs said afterwards. “You never like it when a call is reversed that goes against you, but ultimately their job is to get the call right and they did.”

Charlie Markson had more hits than the entire Voyagers lineup combined, with three. Markson also made the defensive play of the game, on a circus catch leaping up against the right-field fence on Christian Stringer’s booming fly ball in the seventh inning.

The loss dropped the Brewers to 7-6 and they have now lost three games in a row following their six-game win streak. They are still in a tie for first in the Pioneer League North Division.

“We played hard, we just came up short in the runs department,” Diggs said.

Photos by Eliza Wiley, Helena Independent Record

Helena Brewer Michael Turay makes his way back to first barely beating Great Falls Corey Thompson during their near scoreless game Tuesday night.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/helenair.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/0/c2/0c299a56-e38f-11e2-9a4a-001a4bcf887a/51d397b6c7144.preview-620.jpg

Nathan Orf takes a big swing at the ball as the Brewers try to get on the scoreboard Tuesday as they played Great Falls in record breaking heat.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/helenair.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/1d/11d0cad8-e38f-11e2-ba99-001a4bcf887a/51d397c06c7b5.preview-620.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: @AZL Cubs 6, AZL Brewers 4

AZL Brewers Box Score

So Gian Rizzo is a human being, not a cyborg, allows three earned runs in one frame --

AZL Cubs Bottom of the 5th

Kelvin Freeman flies out to right fielder Eric Williams.

Erick Castillo doubles (2) on a fly ball to right fielder Eric Williams.

Mark Malave singles on a line drive to right fielder Eric Williams. Erick Castillo to 3rd.

Kevin Brown singles on a ground ball to center fielder Edgardo Rivera. Erick Castillo scores. Mark Malave to 2nd.

Jeffrey Baez called out on strikes.

Giuseppe Papaccio doubles (1) on a fly ball to left fielder Brandon Diaz. Mark Malave scores. Kevin Brown scores.

Jesse Hodges pops out to second baseman Francisco Castillo.

Actually, Rizzo also allowed single runs in the 1st and 3rd, but those were unearned and little was done in terms of actual damage to him in those innings. Gian also now owns a 15-to-0 K-to-BB ratio in 15 innings, so this was hardly a catastrophe.

RHP's Drew Ghelfi (2 IP, 0 R) and Alex Moore (1 IP, 1 R) finished up.

AZL Brewers Game Log

The A-Crew falls to 4-7 after this one.

Yes, Francisco Castillo had another multi-hit game, his eighth in 11 games this season, and added a sacrifice bunt. Just turned 20, his 2013 is starting to have a 2004 Hernan "Hurricane" Iribarren feel to it, no?

Brewers outhit the Cublets, 13-8, but those five errors hurt, including two by Castillo. Catcher Paul Eshleman had three hits including a double -- he'll be 23 in September and needs a Maryvale exit route up the chain soon. Tanner Norton returned to play behind the plate, he exited after a GIDP to end the 8th. 17-year-old 1B David Denson doubled and walked to help maintain his .979 OPS. He also fanned twice to give him nine in 25 AB's.

Exciting...of course we read too much into early small samples, but still fun.

Josh Harrison, Vic Black, Kris Johnson, and Tony Sanchez of the Pirates, Billy Hamilton and Greg Reynolds of the Reds.

IL announces Triple-A All-Star roster

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived