Brewer Fanatic

M-V-P, M-V-P...Mr Carlos Gomez, King of WAR

Look at the stats. What other OFers are having a good offensive year?

just in CF..

Adam Jones

Jacoby Ellsbury

Andrew McCutchen

Shin-Soo Choo

Brett Gardner

Colby Rasmus

Mike Trout (57 gms in CF this year)

Yes but when taken in to NL count that is McCutchen and Choo only. McCutchen won it last season. Kemp before. Then before the at his position change there were Carlos Gonzalez/Michael Bourn.

So looks like Gomez is strictly up against McCutchen in the NL.

Current ESPN DFWAR at CF:

Gomez 2.6

Geraldo Parra 1.4

Logan Schafer 1.3

Starling Marte 1.3

McCutchen 1.2

AJ Pollock 1.2

Gregor Polanco 1.1

Deeper only Pollock,McCutchen and Gomez have played over 50games in CF. So it's strictly between Gomez and McCutchen

but there are 80+ games still to be played, so its pretty hard to say that its down to just two players when half the season is left to be played.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Look at the stats. What other OFers are having a good offensive year?

just in CF..

Adam Jones

Jacoby Ellsbury

Andrew McCutchen

Shin-Soo Choo

Brett Gardner

Colby Rasmus

Mike Trout (57 gms in CF this year)

Yes but when taken in to NL count that is McCutchen and Choo only. McCutchen won it last season. Kemp before. Then before the at his position change there were Carlos Gonzalez/Michael Bourn.

So looks like Gomez is strictly up against McCutchen in the NL.

Current ESPN DFWAR at CF:

Gomez 2.6

Geraldo Parra 1.4

Logan Schafer 1.3

Starling Marte 1.3

McCutchen 1.2

AJ Pollock 1.2

Gregor Polanco 1.1

Deeper only Pollock,McCutchen and Gomez have played over 50games in CF. So it's strictly between Gomez and McCutchen

Looking at defense for GG? Get out of here.

Since May 10th: .257/.296/.481/.777

55K's in 226 PA.

Well, he was bound to slump and even for a slump, those are numbers I can definitely live with given his defense and his power numbers in CF. Still worth 8 million per.

I never thought he was a .330 hitter, but I could see a .285/.335/.480 type line with 25 HR's and 40 SB's.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I don't think I even implied that. I was more referencing the fact that several players have put up better or similar numbers on competing teams and asking for him to make a case for Goldschmidt. His case was that he seems to have gotten big hits whenever he has been watching. I was hoping for more, and your point about AZ leading the division, while I don't agree with it, is along the lines of what I was expecting as it sometimes influences voters.

Lets not let this discussion morph into the old WAR debate please.

Yeah, but you did it specifically by ranking them by WAR. Carlos Gomez still ranks #1 in WAR on ESPN. I'd say that's used or cited by more writers than fangraphs which I think is more reliable.

Anyway, I don't think there is that much debate about WAR. It's one of the most useful tools in comparing a players value. Great stat.

But again, we have to think how writers think, and that it IS flawed(as you yourself have said).

For what it's worth(not much IMO), Vegas does(or did anyway as I saw it the day I posted) have him as the odds on favorite to win NL MVP.

I don't see a clear cut favorite yet. If Segura was on the Nats or the Braves, D-backs/Dodgers, Cards...he'd be right up there and I think he has staying power. Moreso than Gomez as I don't think Gomez will be the top CF'er.

I would like to see McCutch win it. Of course this is all projecting what these guys will do the second half. I DON'T think Segura is going to slow down too much. Sadly.....I could easily see Yaddy winning it as he's the most dominant defensive player in the game. He's Pudge like, but better than Pudge defensively in that I think he blocks the ball better, and while I know some don't agree and you can't quantify it, the Cards pitchers always seem to thrive. You bring in a guy like AJ Burnett who could go one way and dominate or go the other and struggle, it seems like the Cards pitchers ALWAYS dominate. Jake Westbrook? Pinero? Lohse? Suppan? Lynn? Man this list could go on. I think he calls such a great game that just having had played with him makes you a better pitcher(though there are some pitchers only 10 MPH on their fastball can fix*cough*Suppan*cough).

But if the D-backs hold off the Dodgers, IF, then I think Goldschmidt has a real legit chance to win it just because that team doesn't have a lot of offense, he's putting up huge numbers, they were an unexpected team(voters love that).

If the Dodgers pull ahead to win, Clayton Kershaw could also have an outside chance to win if he keeps doing his Sandy Koufax impersonation.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived