Brewer Fanatic

Aoki Trade Value

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still don't know why you think Boston would do that. They have Jackie Bradley Jr. who can replace Ellsbury, Nava and Carp are far better hitters than Aoki and under control longer as well. It makes no sense for Boston.

Aoki has the skill set Boston loves and he's a proven major league leadoff hitter. He can foul off pitch after pitch. Bradley was a "Logan Schafer" like .275 hitter at AAA with all of 7 SB. There's no indication he's ready to match Ellsbury's production. Aoki on the other hands numbers pretty well match Ellsbury's.

Nava will be 31 in February. He has had one good season in the majors. Aoki is a year older and has two. They are a fair swap. Control time isn't a huge factor for Boston especially for guys over 30. They can afford to extend Aoki. Carp's never been a regular and he turns 28 next year. Boston can re-sign Napoli to play 1B, leaving Carp no position.

Interesting from a Mets fan perspective -- What’s All The Fascination With Aoki About?

What I find hilarious about this nonsense is that Aoki actually has a higher slugging percentage than Davis. Aoki also has a 6.5 fWAR over the last two seasons compared to a 1.0 fWar for Ike.

I didn't realize how bad Davis was this past year, only 9 HR in over 300 at bats. I'm all for trading Aoki for the right guy but Davis is not that guy.

Interesting from a Mets fan perspective -- What’s All The Fascination With Aoki About?

What I find hilarious about this nonsense is that Aoki actually has a higher slugging percentage than Davis. Aoki also has a 6.5 fWAR over the last two seasons compared to a 1.0 fWar for Ike.

This is historic. It may be the first time a New York sports fan responded to a "let's trade our crap for a midwestern team's silver" proposal by asking why, exactly, the midwestern team would do the trade. I know fans everywhere do that stuff, but New York fans generally think the whole MLB talent pool is their oyster.

Can anyone come up with a better deal than Aoki for Porcello? Porcello is arby-eligible and will receive somewhere around 7 million. It seems to me the Tigers could use the friendly contract and have the leadoff hitter they need who doesn't strikeout. They could move Jackson down in the order.

I can't find a better fit for Aoki at this point. Ideas?

San Francisco. They desperately need a high OBP leadoff hitter and they have nothing in the OF outside of Pence. Plus they can market him to the large Asian community in the Bay area. SF has plenty of lower-level (A-ball) pitching to give back (Escobar, Gregorio, Agosta, Mejia); Escobar and Mejia would help shore up the lack of LHP. Speaking of LHP, wondering if Kickham might be available.

Can anyone come up with a better deal than Aoki for Porcello? Porcello is arby-eligible and will receive somewhere around 7 million. It seems to me the Tigers could use the friendly contract and have the leadoff hitter they need who doesn't strikeout. They could move Jackson down in the order.

I can't find a better fit for Aoki at this point. Ideas?

Weeks/+ $$/ + for Porcello would where I would start with Detroit. Follow that up with a Aoki + for Jeremy Hellickson. Take a flier on Phil Hughes. Whether that is realistic, I have no clue but I would feel pretty excited with a rotation of:

1. Gallardo

2. Lohse

3. Hellickson

4. Peralta

5. Porcello

Hughes, Hellweg, Nelson, Jungmann, Thornburg, etc...waiting in the wings in the event of injury. That would be an ideal off season for me.

Injured a lot? I know. But maybe there's a fit here with Brett Anderson. You'd think that the A's who aren't sure where their future lies would like a return on their investment in Anderson without the commitment financially. I'd be down to give Anderson a shot.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24223903/brett-anderson-could-hit-trading-block-especially-if-as-keep-colon

Weeks/+ $$/ + for Porcello would where I would start with Detroit. Follow that up with a Aoki + for Jeremy Hellickson. Take a flier on Phil Hughes. Whether that is realistic, I have no clue but I would feel pretty excited with a rotation of:

1. Gallardo

2. Lohse

3. Hellickson

4. Peralta

5. Porcello

Hughes, Hellweg, Nelson, Jungmann, Thornburg, etc...waiting in the wings in the event of injury. That would be an ideal off season for me.

I would take a flier on Hughes but I am not sure the Rays would want Aoki though you do have the right player that I believe the Rays will trade in Hellickson.

Injured a lot? I know. But maybe there's a fit here with Brett Anderson. You'd think that the A's who aren't sure where their future lies would like a return on their investment in Anderson without the commitment financially. I'd be down to give Anderson a shot.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24223903/brett-anderson-could-hit-trading-block-especially-if-as-keep-colon

Depends on what the A's what for him. He doesn't look to have all that much value right now it could be a good buy low and then sell high during the season if he stays healthy that is. I have always liked Anderson but he sure has been injured a lot. The most I would give up for Anderson would be Gennett or Aoki. I am not sure he is worth more than that especially with the injuries and how he pitched last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Question here. Prince Fielder traded just now. Clearly Detroit moves Castellanos to 3b now and Miggy moves to 1b with Martinez as DH.

Does this open the spot of Aoki to Detroit for Rick Porcello? Thus leaving a Davis,Gomez,Braun OF?

Going in to 2014 then with Lohse,Gallardo, Porcello, Peralta gives us a solid looking 185+IP #s1-4 to count on. Now that, I'd be optimistic in 2014 with having. At least with putting 80+wins. You likely also gain more in trade power for 2015/2016 with Porcello vs. what Aoki returns otherwise.

I really doubt Detroit would trade a 24 year-old league-average starting pitcher for a 31 year-old league-average outfielder.

Detroit has been very open to wanting to trade Porcello. Dealing Porcello would allow them to extend Scherzer and move Austin Jackson down in the order while not taking on another large contract.

I really doubt Detroit would trade a 24 year-old league-average starting pitcher for a 31 year-old league-average outfielder.

Detroit has been very open to wanting to trade Porcello. Dealing Porcello would allow them to extend Scherzer and move Austin Jackson down in the order while not taking on another large contract.

Even so, I'd be pleasantly surprised if they couldn't do better than Aoki, given Porcello's age.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

is there a spot in Seattle of Aoki? do you think Z would be interested in Aoki?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

The chip that is yet to fall in the Aoki situation is Corey Hart. I think that the 2014 Brewers will either have Aoki or Hart, but not both. If Corey is re-signed to play 1B, which I believe is likely, then the Brewers have 5 guys Braun/Davis/Gindl/Schafer/Aoki for the 2 other spots in the OF. Braun is entrenched in 1 spot. That leaves the other 4 for 1 spot and we keep hearing that the Brewers FO wants more ABs for Davis. Given this and the fact that I don't see the Brewers receiving an equivalent return for anyone other than Aoki, I think it makes him the most likely to be dealt to open up LF for Davis.

However, if Hart is not re-signed, I think the Brewers will be more likely to consider Braun at 1B rather than shifting him to RF. In that scenario, Braun goes to 1B, Aoki likely remains in RF with Davis/Gindl sharing LF.

The chip that is yet to fall in the Aoki situation is Corey Hart. I think that the 2014 Brewers will either have Aoki or Hart, but not both. If Corey is re-signed to play 1B, which I believe is likely, then the Brewers have 5 guys Braun/Davis/Gindl/Schafer/Aoki for the 2 other spots in the OF. Braun is entrenched in 1 spot. That leaves the other 4 for 1 spot and we keep hearing that the Brewers FO wants more ABs for Davis. Given this and the fact that I don't see the Brewers receiving an equivalent return for anyone other than Aoki, I think it makes him the most likely to be dealt to open up LF for Davis.

However, if Hart is not re-signed, I think the Brewers will be more likely to consider Braun at 1B rather than shifting him to RF. In that scenario, Braun goes to 1B, Aoki likely remains in RF with Davis/Gindl sharing LF.

while I dont disagree with this at all, could Gindl end up in RF in place of Aoki?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I don't think Hart affects Aoki at all. If they don't re-sign Hart, it's more likely they will either play Francisco at 1B, or acquire a lefty hitting 1B via trade (that could involve Aoki) or FA.

This is an extreme RH dominated lineup and that's even figuring Gennett gets the full time 2B job. If Hart is back they may want to keep Aoki to retain some lineup balance. That may mean Davis and Gindl go back to Nashville to play regularly, while Schafer and Halton back up in the OF, and handle PH duties along with Franciso (or perhaps Green) who'll give Hart and Ramirez occasional rest. Again the thinking being that Schafer and Halton are seen more as backup types anyway and with Braun, Gomez and Aoki all healthy, that's not going to leave much time for backup OF.

This is an extreme RH dominated lineup and that's even figuring Gennett gets the full time 2B job. If Hart is back they may want to keep Aoki to retain some lineup balance. That may mean Davis and Gindl go back to Nashville to play regularly, while Schafer and Halton back up in the OF, and handle PH duties along with Franciso (or perhaps Green) who'll give Hart and Ramirez occasional rest. Again the thinking being that Schafer and Halton are seen more as backup types anyway and with Braun, Gomez and Aoki all healthy, that's not going to leave much time for backup OF.

That could indeed be what happens but sure is a scary proposition to me. Giving money to Corey Hart and sending Khris Davis to Nashville makes no sense to me.. The Brewers need to stop spending money on injury prone older players and instead allow a league minimum younger player like Davis flourish.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

If Davis is sent back down, and isn't a full time player in 2014, this organization will have disappointed me once again.

I want to be positive about the upcoming season, but there needs to be some big changes at the top for me to get excited about our future.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If Davis is sent back down, and isn't a full time player in 2014, this organization will have disappointed me once again.

I want to be positive about the upcoming season, but there needs to be some big changes at the top for me to get excited about our future.

Doug Melvin thinks Khris Davis is a 25+ HR 85 RBI player. There's no way he's not starting in the OF full-time for the Brewers next season unless he's traded. A player that cheap and controlled for that long I'd label as untouchable for a small market.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I agree with all that I will be shocked if Khris Davis isn't a huge part of the team. I wouldn't be suprised if he was in some sort of soft platoon where he gets maybe 5 out of every 7 games but he will almost certainly get a lot of time.

Aoki just doesn't strike me as a useful bench player; he needs to get the AB's. He won't hit for power and is only average defensively and I don't know if his OBP can carry over to a part time role. I would have no objections going with say Schaefer and Gindl as our backup OF.

I am not a fan of the platoon. Gomez has admitted that it affected his play not playing full time.

I think most players need the daily routine to be effective.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I agree with all that I will be shocked if Khris Davis isn't a huge part of the team. I wouldn't be suprised if he was in some sort of soft platoon where he gets maybe 5 out of every 7 games but he will almost certainly get a lot of time.

Aoki just doesn't strike me as a useful bench player; he needs to get the AB's. He won't hit for power and is only average defensively and I don't know if his OBP can carry over to a part time role. I would have no objections going with say Schaefer and Gindl as our backup OF.

Aoki reminds me a lot of Craig Counsell in that when he PH's for a player late in the game he takes a walk about 80% of the time and capitalizes on hittable pitches, and does the little things right. because he knows his strike zone. Aoki can do the same thing. Aoki would add better defense in RF or LF no matter who he PH for, and isn't that what we ultimately want in our bench is the ability to get on base? We have plenty of regulars that can drive them home.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Aoki reminds me a lot of Craig Counsell in that when he PH's for a player late in the game he takes a walk about 80% of the time and capitalizes on hittable pitches, and does the little things right. because he knows his strike zone. Aoki can do the same thing. Aoki would add better defense in RF or LF no matter who he PH for, and isn't that what we ultimately want in our bench is the ability to get on base? We have plenty of regulars that can drive them home.

Absolutely understand the point here and would agree if the Brewers roster more resembled that of 2011 when they had a rock solid rotation. My issue in 2014 is that I believe that the Brewers need to get better in different areas other than keeping Aoki as a 4th OF. If the FO is determined for Davis to play everyday, and I totally agree with this, then Gindl/Schafer can more than adequately fill that 4th OF role. Aoki needs to be dealt to fill another area where the Brewers are lacking (SP, 3B, 1B).

Archived