Brewer Fanatic

Thornburg up, Gindl down

crossface21

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I know he struggled early (0-6 with 6 plus era), but has he settled down since then? Anyone have his June stats?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=thornb001tyl&type=pgl&year=2013

Scroll down for June splits.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I am so sick of this. I understand that he has struggled a bit this year but he was your top prospect going into the season. How many times are you going to switch him between the rotation and the bullpen? Listening to Roenecke it sounds like he wants to keep Thornburg as a long reliever for awhile. The season is over. They are going nowhere. You'd think at the very least they could stop messing with Thornburg and just let him start. They're doing it with Peralta. Why can't they do it with Thornburg?

You'd think at the very least they could stop messing with Thornburg and just let him start. They're doing it with Peralta. Why can't they do it with Thornburg?

Because, long term, imo his role will be in the bullpen. So I want to see him get acclimated to that asap.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Because, long term, imo his role will be in the bullpen. So I want to see him get acclimated to that asap.

Up until this season he has excelled as a starting pitcher. Why not let him start until he proves he can't cut it as a starter? And no, half a season of struggling as a starter does not prove he can't cut it as a starter. For a franchise that is so pathetic at developing their own pitching it sure seems like they refuse to learn their lesson.

You'd think at the very least they could stop messing with Thornburg and just let him start. They're doing it with Peralta. Why can't they do it with Thornburg?

If they feel he's a reliever long term, then he should be relieving in the minors and not starting. Hopefully next year we can let him start in the majors and see how it goes. If he sucks, then use him as a reliever. I'm going to be pretty mad if they don't at least try him as a starter first though.

Pitchers don't need to relieve in the minors to be one in the majors. All that does is limit their length and lengthen their learning curve. Legit prospects should get as many innings in as they can so they can be ready for the majors as fast as they can. I think it doesn't really matter what role they have in the majors to start with. There are plenty of examples of guys who start out as relievers before moving to the starting role, and vice versa, to worry about how his role now will effect his future.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Pitchers don't need to relieve in the minors to be one in the majors. All that does is limit their length and lengthen their learning curve. Legit prospects should get as many innings in as they can so they can be ready for the majors as fast as they can. I think it doesn't really matter what role they have in the majors to start with. There are plenty of examples of guys who start out as relievers before moving to the starting role, and vice versa, to worry about how his role now will effect his future.

That's how I feel about it. I'm sure others will disagree but I don't think the mental switch from starter to reliever is that big. It's really a matter of getting used to throwing out of the stretch more often.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I just guess my question is why? Maybe it's not a big deal, even though he's been switched back and forth what, three times in the past year + ? But what is the need to switch him so often? Is there nobody else they can call up that can pitch multiple innings? Mike Fiers? Chris Narveson? Even Kyle Heckathorn.

Fiers is out for the year. Narveson and Heckathorn aren't even on the 40-man roster at this point and I correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Brewers are at 40 right now so it would necessitate getting rid of someone.

Up until this season he has excelled as a starting pitcher. Why not let him start until he proves he can't cut it as a starter? And no, half a season of struggling as a starter does not prove he can't cut it as a starter. For a franchise that is so pathetic at developing their own pitching it sure seems like they refuse to learn their lesson.

It's not about a half season of stats for me. It's about Thornburg not having good enough stuff & command to be an effective MLB SP. He's too prone to leaving average fastballs over the heart of the plate, & doesn't have great breaking stuff.. He gets hit hard in pretty much every start he makes, obviously some more than others. I guess you could say he suffers from the same weakness Manny Parra did -- hittable-fastball-itis.

Out of the bullpen, all of a sudden Tyler has that much more velocity on his fastball & can throw his breaking pitches that much more sharply. I think he can make a good impact as a RP. As a SP, I think his upside is roughly a poor man's Dave Bush.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It's not about a half season of stats for me. It's about Thornburg not having good enough stuff & command to be an effective MLB SP. He's too prone to leaving average fastballs over the heart of the plate, & doesn't have great breaking stuff.. He gets hit hard in pretty much every start he makes, obviously some more than others. I guess you could say he suffers from the same weakness Manny Parra did -- hittable-fastball-itis.

Out of the bullpen, all of a sudden Tyler has that much more velocity on his fastball & can throw his breaking pitches that much more sharply. I think he can make a good impact as a RP. As a SP, I think his upside is roughly a poor man's Dave Bush.

After sitting row 5 today and watching him work. I am on board with this .. He has definite control issues, gets hit hard and his 92 mph fastball isn't located well

His FB was really down to 92?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Geez last time I saw him pitch everything was 94-96... well that stinks. I had high hopes for him at one time. 92 wouldn't be bad if it was the low end... like 92-94.

That's kind of a bummer actually.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Geez last time I saw him pitch everything was 94-96... well that stinks. I had high hopes for him at one time. 92 wouldn't be bad if it was the low end... like 92-94.

That's kind of a bummer actually.

I agree ... I will give a slight pass today with him being tossed in with no notice (a rain delay insert isn't ideal) ... His next outing will be good to watch. Lets hope he can turn it up

Fiers is out for the year. Narveson and Heckathorn aren't even on the 40-man roster at this point and I correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Brewers are at 40 right now so it would necessitate getting rid of someone.

correct on all counts. it should be noted that fiers is currently optioned to the minor leagues . . . not on the major league disabled list. if need be, the brewers could recall fiers and place him on the 60-day disabled list. he'd see a bump in pay if they did this, but it would free up a spot on the 40-man roster.

correct on all counts. it should be noted that fiers is currently optioned to the minor leagues . . . not on the major league disabled list. if need be, the brewers could recall fiers and place him on the 60-day disabled list. he'd see a bump in pay if they did this, but it would free up a spot on the 40-man roster.

Burgos threw 5 shutout innings for Nashville on Thursday. He can be called up anytime if they need multiple innings after tonight. It's not like there aren't guys on the 40 man that could be assigned too. I don't think Blake Lalli is in much demand for instance.

Archived