Brewer Fanatic

Hart to have season ending surgery

The brewers should go short deal if they want to keep him.

I don't see why they would want to at this point. There really isn't any upside to Hart being a Brewer in 2014.

It depends on how Mark A and Doug M view 2014. If they think the team should be competitive (and I'm sure they will) it makes sense to sign Hart for one year. It's not like the Brewers have premium prospects ready to step in at 1B next year.

This afternoon, the Brewers announced that Corey Hart will miss the entire season. Tonight in Nashville, Hunter Morris played 11/3 of the Sounds' doubleheader.

I think the Brewers are going to call him up. Morris was off Wednesday, played one game on Thursday, & under normal circumstances I think would've played both games of this doubleheader.

Tonight, in total, he went 2-5 with one double, triple, & RBI. In his last 10 games he's posted a .983 OPS, and he's also on a pace to draw the most walks he's ever had in one season. If we're giving a guy like Francisco a shot, why not Morris? The club have more invested in Morris, and they control his rights through 2019 no matter how much MLB service time he gets this season.

Well so much for this angle.

As Mass Haas notes in yesterday's Link Report, Morris was lifted due to a freak injury.

Hunter Morris left game after being struck in upper arm by line drive while in on-deck circle.

Anyone else LOL at this? Let's see Brewers 1b this season. Out for season, Out for season, Return in June...no end of July..nope out for season.

Okay let's discuss Morris the day of our 3rd 1b being announced out for the season...Freak injury. Zing!! It must be predetermined upstairs that the Brewers will go the 2013 Season w/o a true 1b ever standing on 1b in the field.

• 4 weeks later...

The silver lining is that because he will miss the whole year the Brewers should be able to recover 80% of his salary through insurance, only costing the Brewers a net of $2M.

That's assuming they have insurance on his contract though.

Craig Coshun said on a radio interview this morning that the Brewers have insurance on Hart's contract.

I think there could be an obvious mutual benifit for Corey and the 'Crew for a 2014 one-year contract. If a reasonable base + incentives can be agreed to. Now, what that combination would be, not so sure.

I think there could be an obvious mutual benifit for Corey and the 'Crew for a 2014 one-year contract. If a reasonable base + incentives can be agreed to. Now, what that combination would be, not so sure.

I don't see why they would want to at this point. There really isn't any upside to Hart being a Brewer in 2014.

They said the same thing about K-Rod...

exactly.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

We'll know a lot more about things in another week or so, but I think 2014 will be the year the Brewers let the young guys get a shot. I think Aoki will get traded, and we'll have an OF consisting of two rookies for the remainder of the season to tryout for the open starting spot next year (Gomez and Braun are obvious starters, so one open spot). Assuming his knee heals, I think Ramirez will be shopped in August and this offseason. Playing Francisco now seems to me to be a tryout to see if they can trust him as the starting 3B next year, with Bianchi as a capable backup/platoon partner/defensive replacement.

Hopefully, this is the reason they're keeping Morris in AAA this whole season... they know he'll be the 1B next year, so they're trying out guys like Francisco and Bianchi to see what they're going to do at 3B next year. Now, if the Brewers sign Hart to a one-year deal this offseason, Hunter Morris had better start preparing for his career after baseball, because it would be obvious that the Brewers will never let him man first base for them. I don't expect that to happen. Next year will likely be an IF of Morris/Gamel at 1B, Weeks/Gennett at 2B, Segura at SS, Francisco/Bianchi at 3B. Hart will sign a one-year deal, but I doubt it's in Milwaukee. It's not out of the question, but I doubt we'll sign him to block Gamel, Morris and Halton, who are all MLB-ready 1B options.

The question to me is not so much "will they re-sign Corey Hart." My question is "What the heck are they going to do with Gamel?" Will they offer him arby and pay him $1MM or so, or will they just give up on him and let Morris and Halton man 1B?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Hopefully, this is the reason they're keeping Morris in AAA this whole season... they know he'll be the 1B next year, so they're trying out guys like Francisco and Bianchi to see what they're going to do at 3B next year. Now, if the Brewers sign Hart to a one-year deal this offseason, Hunter Morris had better start preparing for his career after baseball, because it would be obvious that the Brewers will never let him man first base for them. I don't expect that to happen. Next year will likely be an IF of Morris/Gamel at 1B, Weeks/Gennett at 2B, Segura at SS, Francisco/Bianchi at 3B. Hart will sign a one-year deal, but I doubt it's in Milwaukee. It's not out of the question, but I doubt we'll sign him to block Gamel, Morris and Halton, who are all MLB-ready 1B options.

I guess I don't agree with this, Morris will be 25 for the entire 2014 season so if he gets the job in 2015 he will only be 26. He has not shown enough in AAA to show that he deserves a starting job in the majors. If he is not a starter in 2015 he can start to worry but 2014 is not a make or break year for Morris. I am fine with them signing Hart to a one year deal or let Gamel/Halton platoon for a year. If Ramirez is sill on the team then Francisco/Halton would also do.

Morris will be 25 for the entire 2014 season so if he gets the job in 2015 he will only be 26

That's old for a supposed good prospect. That our top hitting "prospect" is a question mark at age 25 or 26 is one of the things that has me worried about the future. At least Gamel was blocked by Fielder. If the Brewers think so little of Morris that they play Gonzalez in front of him this year and sign Hart to a one-year deal to block him next year, than he's not really a prospect, but more an organizational soldier who may get a position at the MLB level for a year or two if they're in rebuild mode, but will never be counted on if they think they're contenders. And to Attanasio, "contender" appears to be any team with the ability to win 70 or more games.

Monty, I hope you're right about all that, but I worry.

Me too. Attanasio's a smart guy, but for a guy who has made a good life for himself through in-depth analysis of a company's ability to repay debt, he seems to lose all his "business sense" with the Brewers and manages the team like a fan. To equate it to his "real life" job, it'd be like buying a GM bond in 2006 because you like one of their cars, but failing to realize their obligations have them on a path to bankruptcy.

I'm leaning more and more to thinking that Melvin really is pretty good at finding young talent and playing "hardball" in trade talks in order to get it, but he's not allowed to do so, as Attanasio mandates everything be done to help the MLB team today. Hopefully, it's starting to sink in that we need more talent in the franchise as a whole instead of "name" players at the MLB level. Trading Greinke for a AA shortstop and two high upside minor league pitchers was a good step in looking to the future, but then we rushed Segura to the majors (which thankfully seems to have worked out) and signed Lohse to "win now." Letting Schafer/Davis/Gindl play, while trading K-Rod for a high-upside A-ball player instead of another Kevin Mench is good. I hope Melvin is really hammering the need to plan for the future, and hopefully Attanasio starts listening to him. We'll see.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived