Brewer Fanatic

Top 5 Trade Chips

Piggybacking off the "Top 5 Trade Parners" thread, I wouldn't mind knowing everyone's five most likely trade chips or players to be traded.

My list is in order, #1 being who I think is most likely to be traded.

1. Axford - The Tigers and other teams that wanted an experienced closer would probably give up something for him and his remaining years of team control.

2. K-Rod - We won't get as much for him as we get for Axford since he's a free agent after this year... but I think it's possible we get something worthwhile and there's no reason to keep him.

3. Ramirez - I hope he heats up because I'm guessing his injury is scary to some potential suitors, but I think he's very likely to be traded while the Brewers pay more of his remaining contract than I would like.

4. Aoki - I love this guy but I feel like Logan Schaeffer makes him somewhat expendable and he's easier to replace than Gomez.

5. Gallardo - The toughest call. If the front office thinks they can somehow acquire 2-3 good starting pitchers for 2014 or 2015, I think we keep him. If they think we need a longer rebuild and won't even have much of a chance until 2016 or beyond, then I think he'll get dealt.

I also think any number of our other relievers could be dealt, I just think it could be any of them and the return will be minimal for them.

Either list could be very accurate. I could see Henderson possibly taking K-Rods spot though. Only because of the cost/controlability he has for the team recieving him. I think that Melvin may think that they could very easily retain KRod next year for a reasonable price as our closer and is concevably as reliable as Henderson/Axford and the Brewers may get more from the recieving team in a trade for Henderson. I think Ax man is more for a cost savings on the brewers end.

5. A-Ram - DM doesn't like to fill a hole by creating another, may feel one of Green/Francisco could fill in adequately next year

4. Axford - has reasons for his slumps (last year - birth of first child, this year - WBC), DM may be afraid of selling low

3. Aoki - kind of a luxury at this point, the Brewers are high on Schafer and have others (Gindl, Davis) who could step in

2. Gonzalez - the oldest bullpen arm, several teams need LHRP and he has experience closing

1. K-Rod - not under contract or control like Axford or Henderson, low risk for a team acquiring him

I have a feeling that DM/Mark A. will really have to be wowed to trade Gallardo.

Ramirez' contract and bad knee will scare away most teams.

Gonzalez has been very inconsistent. A 1.483 WHIP is not good. I think Gorzelanny is more desirable.

My top 5 most likely to be dealt:

1. K-Rod

2. Axford

3. Gorzelanny

4. Aoki

5. Gallardo

I do not believe the Brewers will trade Braun, Segura, Peralta, Lucroy, or Gomez, and probably won't trade any of their pre-arby guys like Schafer, Maldonado, Thornberg, etc. Francisco is probably safe, as he's at least a decent backup plan for one of the corner IF spots going into next year.

Everyone else makes my "likely to be traded" list. I would be shocked if Axford, K-Rod and Gonzalez aren't traded. It's less likely Gorzelanny will be traded, as he's signed for next year, and we will need to have some players on the field in 2014. The news that Aoki is a free agent sooner than we thought, along with the presence of Schafer/Gindl/Davis makes his trade very likely. Melvin's already making comments that make it look like Gallardo and Lohse are being shopped. Ramirez and Weeks are likely gone to ease up the payroll (hopefully it'll be for good value and not just a salary dump). Hart of course can't be traded, so he'll just be gone for nothing.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Gomez is sure fun to watch play and we really don't have anyone ready to take his position. i'm not as high on Schafer suddenly taking a starting role. still, if you're going to trade high on someone, that's definitely Gomez. if he could nab two ML-ready prospects i'd love the trade, even though i think Gomez is going to be good for a lot of years to come.

i'm more in the "trade everyone" camp except for Braun and Segura.

i know DM isn't big on trading someone and creating a hole, and i get that we've got nothing to fill the 3B position without him, but isn't there a value to trading ARam just to get rid of his $20M paycheck next year?

Archived