Brewer Fanatic

Top 5 Most Likely Trade Partners

5. Orioles - DFA'd Garcia, Gausman could likely use more seasoning in the minors, and Bundy is going to have TJ surgery. Supposedly in hot pursuit of Nolasco. Possible spot for Gallardo, but I don't know if they have enough to give back - likely won't part with Gausman with Bundy undergoing TJ. Schoop also has a stress fracture in his back and is out for another month. Doubt they would give up Gausman, but a package of Eduardo Rodriguez (20 yr old LHP in A+) and Matusz (see if they can make him a starter again) might be tempting. Not sure if they would take on Lohse. Bundy might make an interesting PTBNL in a package for Gallardo as Bundy won't pitch for a year.

4. Giants - their OF has been terrible, particularly in OBP. Aoki would fit really nicely at the top of their order. And don't underestimate the value of a good Asian player in San Francisco (Asians make up 34% of the population of San Francisco, and 20% of the 9-county Bay area). Have pitching to give back (Kickham, Stratton, Blackburn, Agosta) and a power 3B prospect (Duvall).

3. Indians - match up almost perfectly as far as their needs and MIL's depth; they have nothing for LHRP, their closer hasn't pitched well and may be in legal trouble, Brantley is sporting a .696 OPS in LF and they have nothing for upper level OF prospects. Gonzalez and Khris Davis would be a perfect fit for them; the only question is if the Indians believe they can compete with the Tigers. Bauer is likely off the table, but they have some pitching to give back (Salazar, Brown) and future 2B (Ramirez).

2. Diamondbacks - their closers have struggled (Bell, Putz) and they are rumored to be interested in Gallardo. Could be a blockbuster here of Gallardo + K-Rod/Axford, and their prospects match up well with the Brewers needs. One of Skaggs/Bradley plus Holmburg & Chafin would be a nice return for Gallardo/K-Rod; the Brewers could also be interested in Davidson (3B) or Eaton (if they trade Aoki). Even if Gallardo isn't traded, I think there's a good chance they could acquire K-Rod or Axford from MIL, and Holmburg or Chafin would be a nice return.

1. Dodgers - discussed in the other thread, payroll is not a concern and have needs at 3B and closer, maybe 2B and SP. Have pitching to give back (Lee, Magill, Stripling, Reed, Thomas), a future SS/3B (Seager), and MIL could be interested in Pederson if they move Aoki or someone wows them for Gomez.

Yankees should be considered too.

They need a first basemen with Tex out for the year, but probably so is Corey.

They need a third baseman.

They need an outfield upgrade over Vernon Wells.

They could use a rotation upgrade over Hughes or Phelps.

They're bullpen looks pretty good but I'm sure they wouldn't say no to including Axford, Rodriguez, or Henderson in a trade.

Not sure what they have to offer though.

I don't know as if the Yankees align well with us because of what they have to offer. I would also think that possibly the Tigers could fit within the top 5/6 with their need for relief pitching and possibly an outfielder. I would be thrilled to go Aoki, KRod and Ax for Castellano and Porcello maybe?

5. Orioles - DFA'd Garcia, Gausman could likely use more seasoning in the minors, and Bundy is going to have TJ surgery. Supposedly in hot pursuit of Nolasco. Possible spot for Gallardo,

Gallardo has the Orioles on his no-trade list. Not saying he won't waive it, but he might want something for it, which would then mean you get less for him.

Yankees should be considered too.

They need a first basemen with Tex out for the year, but probably so is Corey.

They need a third baseman.

They need an outfield upgrade over Vernon Wells.

They could use a rotation upgrade over Hughes or Phelps.

They're bullpen looks pretty good but I'm sure they wouldn't say no to including Axford, Rodriguez, or Henderson in a trade.

Not sure what they have to offer though.

The Yankees have a minor league system that is about as similar as the Brewers. Right now their best prospect in my opinion is Gary Sanchez a catcher and someone that the Yankees will not part with as he is their catcher of the future. The Yankees do not have what it would take to get Gallardo as Hensley and Banuelos are both injured and I am not sure I would really want Banuelos in a trade for Gallardo.

On Ramirez I posted this in another thread:

Manny Banuelos would be a nice get for Ramirez but he is injured and didn't look all that great last year before he was injured. Ty Hensley who is in the low minors who is another good pitcher is out for the year also. The next best pitching prospect in my opinion would be Nik Turley and he really isn't all that good either and would project to be at best a mid rotation starter probably more along a #5. Angelo Gumbs would be the next best positional prospect that isn't an OF. While Gumbs is a great defensive 2B his offense is still lacking though he is still young.

Like the Brewers the majority of the Yankees top talent is in the low minors well at least the ones that would be realistic in terms of a trade for Ramirez. I think a realistic trade would be Rafael De Paula, Dante Bichette JR, and Bryan Mitchell. Again most of the players that you could expect in return from Ramirez in the Yankees organization are going to be in the low minors. Unless you want to take a shot at Tyler Austin who is in AA. I am not sure I would want Austin as the main piece in a deal for Ramirez.

One player to keep an eye out on is Jose Ramirez as he would be an awesome return for Aramis but I think that is pushing it in terms of value for Aramis.

Baseball America's top 10 for the Yankees

1. Mason Williams, of

2. Slade Heathcott, of

3. Gary Sanchez, c

4. Tyler Austin, of

5. Jose Campos, rhp

6. Brett Marshall, rhp

7. Angelo Gumbs, 2b

8. Manny Banuelos, lhp

9. Ty Hensley, rhp

10. Rafael De Paula, rhp

It was a coin flip between the Tigers and Orioles for #5. Benoit seems to be handling the closers role just fine, but upon further review don't have any reliable setup man behind him. Albuquerque is just nasty, but can't be relied upon to find the strike zone (only guy I think I've ever seen who has a higher BB/9 than H/9). They have some pitching to give back in Jake Thompson and Casey Crosby. Don't know why people want Porcello. He's eligible for arby next year and a free agent in 2016. Don't want to pay $8M/year for a young Jeff Suppan for two years.

Yankees are trying to keep A-Rod out all year so they can recoup most of his salary in insurance - they can get $22M back. De Paula is interesting, but I have no interest in acquiring a low-level OF as a key piece of any trade. Got plenty of those in Taylor, Haniger, and Roache. Yankees are just a mess right now, and I don't see them acquiring Ramirez with A-Rod and Teixeira still under contract for several more years.

5. Orioles - DFA'd Garcia, Gausman could likely use more seasoning in the minors, and Bundy is going to have TJ surgery. Supposedly in hot pursuit of Nolasco. Possible spot for Gallardo,

Gallardo has the Orioles on his no-trade list. Not saying he won't waive it, but he might want something for it, which would then mean you get less for him.

That was two years ago when the Orioles were coming off of five consecutive years of 69 or fewer wins. Might change his tune now that they are contenders.

Heyman had a column where he said the Yankees view AR as "too pricey".....THE YANKEESS!!!

The Yankees want to get under the cap so they are not taxed. All of their money for next year is going to be going towards Cano and maybe Hughes. Cano wants a $200m contract which he may just get and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Yankees not go after that and you see Cano in a Dodgers uniform. The Dodgers are not really caring about the cap and paying the luxury tax to MLB. Well why should they with their TV deal that they will be getting in return. The Yankees are really trying to save as much money as they can to keep Cano without going over the cap. The Yankees are a bad fit anyways for Ramirez prospects wise so I am not all that bummed that the Yankees are out of the Ramirez talk. But to play the Devil's advocate for a trade to work the Brewers would have to pay half of Ramirez salary for next year and the $4m buyout which would put the full dollar figure at $12m going to the Yankees from the Brewers. Which with that amount of money changing hands I just don't see any prospect from the Yankees being worth that to the Brewers. The Yankees are just a bad fit prospect wise and money wise right now for Ramirez. The Dodgers and possibly the Red Sox would be where I would look at trading Ramirez to. I would give the Red Sox the $4m of Ramirez buyout to be able to take Cecchini from them. Cecchini and a low A prospect would be an ideal move in my opinion for Ramirez.

• 3 weeks later...
I think you can take off any team in the division unless it's a crap for crap trade like McGehee for Veras. Teams are just nervous about former players burning them 15-20 times a year even if the team in the division offers the best deal. One of my pet peeves in sports.

I think you can take off any team in the division unless it's a crap for crap trade like McGehee for Veras. Teams are just nervous about former players burning them 15-20 times a year even if the team in the division offers the best deal. One of my pet peeves in sports.

Exactly. If St. Louis really wants something from Milwaukee, they better pony up.

I think the Dodgers make the most sense. It's not so much what they'll give back but I think the Brewers can get them to take Weeks along with the pitcher (I'm thinking Axford is the most likely) and that's a huge win in my book.

I still hope that the Rangers make a push for YO. I thinking the Padres are not going to be in a buying market at this point. The Red soxs are the intresting team at this point to be a trade partner along with the Diamondbacks.

Don't sleep on Washington. Lohse would be just the kind of Pitcher they go after likely slotting him in as replacement for Haren. Would take AJ Cole for him and wouldn't need much more after that. Washington needs to win 7 of 10 likely here coming out of the break to really push for the kind of pitcher Lohse is.

I think the Dodgers make the most sense. It's not so much what they'll give back but I think the Brewers can get them to take Weeks along with the pitcher (I'm thinking Axford is the most likely) and that's a huge win in my book.

If I was them, I'd rather roll with a Schumaker/Ellis platoon than trade for a highly overpaid Weeks.

If I was them, I'd rather roll with a Schumaker/Ellis platoon than trade for a highly overpaid Weeks.

I didn't say they would want Weeks only that they would take him if they also got the guy they really wanted and didn't have to give up as much in return. In other words, Melvin says we'll give you Axford for C level prospect, if you take Weeks in the deal too. Otherwise it's going to cost you a B+ level guy. The Brewers would also likely get back Ellis to even out the money a bit. Ellis has an option that likely the Dodgers won't pick up for next year, so they might see Weeks as a guy they can live with for 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the Orioles right, even if it was for the wrong player. :)

Word is that the Brewers have had scouts watching Dodgers and Diamondbacks prospects the last few days. Still have a day and a half...

Had the Orioles right, even if it was for the wrong player. :)

Word is that the Brewers have had scouts watching Dodgers and Diamondbacks prospects the last few days. Still have a day and a half...

Oh, that is great news. Dodgers/DBacks trade partners have been there awhile now and I could see plenty a scenario of trade options between the two teams.

Lohse/Aoki+RP to Dbacks for Kubel/Kennedy both and then add Owings/Holmberg. Yeah it sounds like a lot of pieces in trade but then again this is Arz. GM Towers who's done crazy 3 team deals to make trades happen.

And the Dodgers/again I'm thinking ARam...maybe Weeks?(is this why he's batting leadoff lately...showcase?)

I don't know who in return. I'd wonder if it'd be a stipulation PTBNL on ARam. And Weeks/another RP? I can't even begin to guess his value. And that may be why our Scouts are watching Dodgers prospects because the hott commodities the Dodgers have for prospects aren't available for Weeks.

Archived