Brewer Fanatic

Mentality of Brewers fans who attend or choose not to attend a game (lately)

Espn says we are averaging 31,000 a game and on the MLB.com box score it says that 28,000 attended the game tonight. I don't think that's actually people that showed up, but I can't help but notice that there have been a good amount of fans at the games during the week (none weekend) considering the teams current position. I would think there would be less people showing up. I'm aware that we are playing the Cubs. I'm talking in general.

What do you guys see attendance wise at the games?

Do you think once the Brewers sell some at the deadline there will be a decrease in fans that show up or increase?

Why do you show up to these games knowing what we know about this team and it's current position?

Brewers fans knowing how exciting it is to watch, Braun, Gomez, Segura, and Lucroy (youngsters) lately at the games, because of this they seem more willing to show up, but do you think that will translate to them wanting to purchase tickets next season due to this, or do you see a dramatic drop in ticket sales next year? How could the trade deadline affect this if any effect at all?

Is there something that you want to happen before you attend a game? It can get pretty brutal to watch a last place team in person.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm curious on the mentality of Brewers fans right now and what affect it's having or could have on future purchases at Miller Park.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I can't say about tonight, but Last night it was little league night, so there were thousands of kids with their parents at the game. Even with that and the number of cubs fans there, I still think the attendance was far less than the number reported.

I don't think selling will affect the attendance much because how much worse can they be? Bringing up some new kids may spark a little interest, but none of them have been hyped like Weeks and Fielder.

Yeah basically the announced attendance is the number of tickets they sold for the game. It's not how many people go through the turnstiles on any given night.

As far as the number of people showing up to games, I think it depends on how many of them bought tickets in advance. Most people aren't going to stay home and eat their tickets just because the team is playing poorly. You have to remember that the team sold a million tickets by the middle of January. I can't remember what the final figure was but a huge amount of tickets were and always are accounted for before the season even starts. Yeah, walk up sales are going to be heavily affected I'm sure so there's that. The answer to why people keep showing up to games is that they already have tickets.

To answer the question why do I go, it's to have a good time with friends, eat some food, drink some beer, and be happy that I live in a city with a major league baseball team that plays in an awesome stadium. And to hope that I see a win. Yeah it sucks that the onfield product is subpar but that's the way it goes.

I have my 10-pack tickets for the year, and I consider that to be a sunk cost already.

I had tickets to Tuesday's game and didn't go. My wife was traveling on business, so it would have been just me and my daughter.

I don't make a habit of eating tickets, but I really had no interest in going to that game. My daughter had a friend over, I was working on some stuff at home, Yuni is still on the team. So I passed.

I go to Brewers games because I enjoy baseball, regardless of the on-field results.

My Braves fan friend was astonished the Brewers sold 32,500+, 41,900+, and 41,200+ tickets this weekend for the three game series.

People having purchased tickets already is definitely a big part of it. I also explained that in addition to promotions and giveaways Miller Park very much becomes a casual fan party atmosphere during the Summer. A lot of people go for the tailgates and because it is a place to be seen. That's why you get the people coming in an hour after first pitch and leaving after the sausage race.

They'll be fine attendance wise in July and early August, but once school starts back up that's probably when the numbers will dip if they're playing poorly.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I won't pay to go to another game this year. I'll go with free tickets, but spending money on this team doesn't make a lot of sense.

Frankly, I don't really enjoy going anymore because of the crowd. We all have made fun of the drunks who show up at Wrigley, but MP has become just as bad. I got hit with a full, open beer can standing in line to get in on Saturday that some idiot tried throwing at his friend (who was too drunk to stand). I don't have the patience to put up with those people to watch a lousy team.

I don't think about the fact that they're in last place and I get to the game and hope for a good result that day and that day only. My wife and I have a 20 pack and we go to all of the games. Worst case scenario they go down by a lot of runs (5+) early and we duck out.

I am probably in the minority, but I think this is the most talented "bad" team in baseball. I guess that could make it more frustrating to some people and in a way it is... but I pretty much love the team except for the horrible starting pitching. If the starting pitching keeps us in the game, I always have a good time watching in person OR on TV.

Like chadomac I don't really think about what place the Brewers are in. Honestly other than hearing it on here or from other people, I wouldn't even know what place the Brewers are in (not sure if it's 4th or 5th right now), as my general rule is to not look at the standings at all until July. Yes, 12 games below .500 is not that good, but it's not terrible, and I still believe the Brewers are going to get things together a bit.

But for me, going to Brewers games is more about one game at a time. I started going to a decent number of games in about 2005 when the Brewers were finally becoming respectable. I went to 13 games in 2005, about 31 in 2006, 51 in 2007, 54 in 2008, around 40 in 2009, probably somewhere around 35 in 2010, 30 or so in 2011, and 10 last year (with the primary reason for the drop-off being a busy work schedule). At this point, going to Brewers games is so engrained in me that it doesn't matter whether the team is good or bad for that season, I always go hoping to see a solid performance. When the Brewers are playoffs-good as they were in 2008 and 2011, I get an extra feeling of excitement, but I still get excited to go to games even when the Brewers are struggling.

Just this past Saturday, I couldn't go to the game as I had a graduation party to attend in the afternoon/evening. But before that I went to Miller Park about 2 1/2 or 3 hours before the game, parked on the street, picked up a cheap ticket for $8 from someone tailgating, went into Friday's to watch early BP before the stadium opened, and then spent some time getting autographs and watching batting practice. I enjoy enough other things about going to Miller Park, and I know enough other people who go to games regularly that even going by myself when the Brewers are struggling is still fun. I was also at the games on Friday and Tuesday, and to see solid performances was just icing on the cake for me.

I go to tailgate, to see my friends I share a 20 pack with, and to see other friends who join us.

The product on the field is almost unwatchable, and they keep on trotting YuniB out there. With some of the starting pitchers we've been throwing out there, I don't feel the need to get in early to watch them half the time.

This is the first time I've ever missed multiple first pitches (and, seriously, the lines outside of the stadium, even on non-giveaway days are getting ridiculous -- it took 25 minutes to get in on Saturday).

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Yeah basically the announced attendance is the number of tickets they sold for the game. It's not how many people go through the turnstiles on any given night.

s.

Funny story, kind of off topic. In 2004 my gf went to a game with a school group and one of the unused tickets won some promotion of 2 free round-trip tickets. When the adult went to redeem the tickets they looked stunned and were surprised someone had the tickets...tricky tricky Brewers!

I go to the games now to hangout and enjoy baseball, a win is just cake.

Funny story, kind of off topic. In 2004 my gf went to a game with a school group and one of the unused tickets one some promotion of 2 free round-trip tickets. When the adult went to redeem the tickets they looked stunned and were surprised someone had the tickets...tricky tricky Brewers!

I read that 3 times and have no idea what the story is about.

Funny story, kind of off topic. In 2004 my gf went to a game with a school group and one of the unused tickets one some promotion of 2 free round-trip tickets. When the adult went to redeem the tickets they looked stunned and were surprised someone had the tickets...tricky tricky Brewers!

I think his second use of "one" was meant to be "won"

In which case, yes that could look shenanigan-y from the Brewers.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

They had extra tickets with no bodies, so they didn't scan them at the door. The Brewers "randomly" chose seats that "didn't show up" to win the promotion. (They used to give away airline tickets if the first batter in the bottom of the 5th hit a home run)

Just another example that Wendy was a conniving, cheap, heartless, bi...aseball owner. I'm so glad she's no longer around.

I've already eaten ticket to 11 games this year. I don't think I've ever gone higher than 5 before last year. Between life changes and the product on the field, I just can't get to many. And I don't think I've missed much.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I get the premise from the OP, but I don't share the sentiments from some posters here about the lack of excitement. While obviously this year is much different than 2008 or 2011 when we were playing for something, I am always excited to see a major league game. I was a diehard fan all thru the incredibly lean years (not even rebuilding, just bad) in the 90's and will continue to be a fan for life. Of course I hope that we are always playing for something, but for me, there is nothing more relaxing than a summer night watching guys play a kids game at an incredibly high level. America, apple pie, baseball in summer, etc. etc. I find something deeply reassuring in the knowledge that it will be there no matter what else is happening in life year in and year out. That's just me, but the love of the game itself will always be a draw and nothing on the field itself can change that.

I get the premise from the OP, but I don't share the sentiments from some posters here about the lack of excitement. While obviously this year is much different than 2008 or 2011 when we were playing for something, I am always excited to see a major league game. I was a diehard fan all thru the incredibly lean years (not even rebuilding, just bad) in the 90's and will continue to be a fan for life. Of course I hope that we are always playing for something, but for me, there is nothing more relaxing than a summer night watching guys play a kids game at an incredibly high level. America, apple pie, baseball in summer, etc. etc. I find something deeply reassuring in the knowledge that it will be there no matter what else is happening in life year in and year out. That's just me, but the love of the game itself will always be a draw and nothing on the field itself can change that.

I admire your love to watch baseball no matter what.

I'll just give my story since I haven't yet contributed to my thread.

I'm apart of 4 generations of Brewers fans from my great Grandpa - me. When I was a baby about a year old my Great Grandpa and my father and his father started to take me to Brewers games at county stadium, so I've been going since 1986. When I was really young we moved from Brookfield, WI to Columbus, Ohio. My Great Grandpa died, my Grandpa died pretty close together, and me and my father were left. However, we never stopped going to Brewers games. In fact, since I was 5 years old me and my father would make the 7 hour drive to Milwaukee and then back 7 hours about once a month for Brewers games since 1991 to this day. That's about 15-20 games a year. That says a lot about how dedicated of a Brewers fan I really am, and perhaps how crazy I am. :)

Now over the years I've developed a liking for younger Brewers teams and the organizations farm system. This team I haven't really followed as much as I used too, because of the average age of the team as a whole. I like younger players because they will do anything to be productive. They will hustle to 1B every time they put the ball in play. They will even dive into 1B, which despite it being dangerous and none effective it's nice to see that desire to get on base. They will sacrifice their body's. They have more energy and are usually faster than the older players. They will sacrifice their AB to move the runner over. Etc.. This team I'm just not excited about and it's more than just because of their record.

I will probably buy 10-15 games tickets once the trades happen in July to see these young prospects in action and to root them on. I'm clearly not the typical fan, because most people wouldn't buy tickets after a big sale like what I think will take place soon. I'm already planning on buying 20-30 games next season even though they wont be contending.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Haha, wrote it from my phone and never reread it. Fixing it now!

To answer the question why do I go, it's to have a good time with friends, eat some food, drink some beer, and be happy that I live in a city with a major league baseball team that plays in an awesome stadium. And to hope that I see a win. Yeah it sucks that the onfield product is subpar but that's the way it goes.
When the Brewers lost 106 games in 2002 they still drew almost 2 million fans. Amazing for the smallest market in baseball. Brewers fans realize, more than any other MLB fans, the opportunity to watch MLB baseball is a privilege and joy. And a helluva lot fun.

I usually go to 2 or 3 games a year and record has no influence. I would not be more likely to go more often if they had the best record in baseball and it's not more likely I'd go less often with what they have now.

When the Brewers lost 106 games in 2002 they still drew almost 2 million fans. Amazing for the smallest market in baseball. Brewers fans realize, more than any other MLB fans, the opportunity to watch MLB baseball is a privilege and joy. And a helluva lot fun.

To be fair though, I don't think ticket sales would've been that high if you'd have told everyone at the beginning of the year that they'd lose 106 games. You have to factor in advance sales vs walk up. And I can't remember how they did it but didn't you have a shot at All Star Game tickets too if you were a season ticket holder?

Also, I can totally understand both this-

I've already eaten ticket to 11 games this year. I don't think I've ever gone higher than 5 before last year. Between life changes and the product on the field, I just can't get to many. And I don't think I've missed much.

and this-

While obviously this year is much different than 2008 or 2011 when we were playing for something, I am always excited to see a major league game. I was a diehard fan all thru the incredibly lean years (not even rebuilding, just bad) in the 90's and will continue to be a fan for life. Of course I hope that we are always playing for something, but for me, there is nothing more relaxing than a summer night watching guys play a kids game at an incredibly high level.

Unfortunately, I've been leaning closer to the first category. I have a 10 pack myself and have friends with 20 packs whose tickets I occasionally use. The last game I was at was June 7th, when they won in the 9th on Ramirez's walk off single. I was more interested in eating the meatball with spaghetti in it and getting a margarita from Fridays and looking at the $45 t-shirts in the gift shop than I was in the game itself. I left in the 8th inning and listened to the end while I walked my dog and wasn't the least bit disappointed in myself that I left early. The magic is wearing off. I'm not completely jaded but it's getting to that point. Like I said before, I love living in a city with a major league baseball team and a cool stadium. But if things keep going the way they are, and say something happens like the Pirates make it to the World Series, it's going to be tougher for me to justify making it to more than a few games a year.

And I can't remember how they did it but didn't you have a shot at All Star Game tickets too if you were a season ticket holder? .

All full season ticket holders had an opportunity to buy ASE tickets. There were a lot of STH that stopped going to games after the ASE, but they still counted as "tickets sold". Some of the announced attendances in August and September were more than twice the number of butts in seats.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

And I can't remember how they did it but didn't you have a shot at All Star Game tickets too if you were a season ticket holder? .

All full season ticket holders had an opportunity to buy ASE tickets. There were a lot of STH that stopped going to games after the ASE, but they still counted as "tickets sold". Some of the announced attendances in August and September were more than twice the number of butts in seats.

Partial season ticket holders were able to buy all-star week tickets as well, and the Brewers made it clear that it was going to be the most guaranteed way to gain access to the all-star events. And yes, occupied-seats attendance plummeted by the end of that season.

I also remember some speculation - and I think it was in 2003 - that the Brewers might close the terrace level for at least some games because attendance was so low (and presumably they could save some $ by not staffing the top level, which sounds pretty WSP-ish). We wondered at the time if/how we would be reseated, because our 20-pack was in the terrace box. Of course, that did not come to pass.

More generally, my stance is closer to DocLuna7's. Attending a ballgame is one of my favorite activities (and the SO's too). I like seeing how each game and season unfolds. Over time we've cultivated a community of friends (online and in person, including fans and Brewers employees) who I look forward to seeing/interacting with during the season and miss every day of the off-season. It's my unscripted entertainment (I hesitate to call it "reality").

2011 showed us how much more entertaining a really special winning season can be, and I cannot say I never have pangs for that extra level of excitement. But if it were solely about reaching the World Series/postseason/winning record for me, I'd have likely given up decades ago. Indeed, after the 1984 season ended and I realized the Brewers still mattered to me, that's when I figured I was in it for the long haul.

I expect we'll keep going as long as we can manage the finances and time commitment. We don't drive as far as PrinceFielderx1 - and major kudos to you and your dad - but we probably go to more games.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived