Brewer Fanatic

Halton to Milwaukee!

Mass Haas
1.000 AVG! MVP BABY!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• 3 months later...
I don't think he is viewed as an every day player by the Brewers still. Both guys released are lefty and Halton fills the right handed side of the platoon. He does provide some flexibility since he can play first, outfield and based on the last game at home emergency 3B.

Halton's best bet is as a RH bench bat that has some versatility. For whatever reason Melvin always skips over him when mentioning first base options. He's going to be fighting for that 25th spot on the roster in spring. It might come down to he or Gindl depending on whether they want a lefty or righty bat or who they want playing everyday in AAA.

If a lineup spot opens for Davis, unless they pick up a veteran bat, he's got a chance. Bianchi and Maldanado are the only two RH bench options in that scenario. Halton has more pop than Bianchi.

He was over .800 OPS the last two years at Nashville. While I wouldn't expect him to do that in the NL, he might do it as part of a platoon. Looks like his splits are pretty even for most of his career though.

He had an OPS under 700 this year... so I'm not surprised Melvin doesn't consider him a 1B solution.

I wouldn't consider his 100 at bats of sporadic starts as definitive. I would hope his last two years of minor league stats is still a better barometer of future performance.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Halton's problem is that he really doesn't do anything that well at a premium hitter's position - 1B.

In the minors, he displayed average power, solid batting average. His walk rate is not particularly good - meaning his OBP is OK. All this in a hitter's league.

At age 26, he's not exactly a young guy.

His chance will be if we go with a left handed hitter at 1B - say Francisco or Hunter Morris. He could get some playing time in a platoon, plus pinch hitter and emergency OF. He seems like a good guy - willing to do whatever is needed. That's essential for a fringe player like him.

If the team brings back Hart, I don't see Halton making the club. He just won't get enough ABs.

• 1 year later...
The problem with Halton is that he is absolutely horrid in the field and can only hit lefties.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived