Brewer Fanatic

2013-06-26 Cubs (Feldman) at Brewers (Gallardo), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-4]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this is the dumbest team in baseball by a landslide. this team has no idea how to play fundamental baseball. why on earth these 3rd base coaches send guys on short ground balls is beyond me. why betancourt is even on the major league is a mystery to me. unbelieveable. 3 times they have been in this situation and all 3 times they screwed it up. jesus freaking christ

And that folks is why we suck. Simply no way we should have lost this game IMO. Simple baseball.

No, it wasn't on Weeks, he was clearly going on contact. Weeks even made a nice slide and hit the glove really hard, sorta surprised he hung on to it.

Hate that sacrifice there, just hate it. Swing away and roll the dice. Did the 8th inning teach us nothing?

The 8th inning might teach you that it's a bad idea to swing away on 3-0 with a runner on 3rd. Other than that, I don't know.

Betancourt has to be the dumbest player in MLB history. He has no interest whatsoever in changing his approach for anything. Lunge over and ground out there on an outside pitch? How about, try to hit the fricking ball to an outfielder????

What is the point of coaches? How is it that no one can communicate to Betancourt to hit the ball in the air, at least before you have 2 strikes? If Tony La Russa was managing there is no way his player would have grounded out to 3rd there on the first pitch (and Gallardo would have a more regular drinking buddy)

this is the dumbest team in baseball by a landslide. this team has no idea how to play fundamental baseball. why on earth these 3rd base coaches send guys on short ground balls is beyond me. why betancourt is even on the major league is a mystery to me. unbelieveable. 3 times they have been in this situation and all 3 times they screwed it up. jesus freaking christ

It's the simple way they screw it up too.

Segura takes strike 3 looking. Lucroy swings at what is probably a ball on a 3-0 pitch and pops up and Yuni hits it decently, but right at someone and we send Weeks anyway and he's out by a mile.

The first two are worse IMO because the infield was back. Yuni's ball would have scored the run in either of those cases.

I hate the sac bunt in the 9th there and I hate virtually everything RR does as a manager, consistently putting the team in situations it struggles to succeed.

Hate that sacrifice there, just hate it. Swing away and roll the dice. Did the 8th inning teach us nothing?

The 8th inning taught us swinging away is stupid when you have a chance to score a run without a hit. The infield was back in the 8th inning, Lucroy should have just shortened up and grounded out and took the run.

Telly interviewing Ed Sedar. How do you not ask, "What the [heck] were you doing sending Weeks on contact with the infield in?"

The 3rd base coach does not ever tell a runner on third what to do, he is standing behind him probably. It is called from the bench and isn't that bad of a call considering the situation.

It's the simple way they screw it up too.

Segura takes strike 3 looking. Lucroy swings at what is probably a ball on a 3-0 pitch and pops up and Yuni hits it decently, but right at someone and we send Weeks anyway and he's out by a mile.

The first two are worse IMO because the infield was back. Yuni's ball would have scored the run in either of those cases.

I hate the sac bunt in the 9th there and I hate virtually everything RR does as a manager, consistently putting the team in situations it struggles to succeed.

RRR doesn't know when to be aggressive on the bases and when to be passive. Smart coaches would have told Lucroy to be patient on 3-0. The heat was on the pitcher in that situation. Weeks doesn't have the speed he used to have. The only guys on this team that I would try that with is Gomez, Aoki, and Segura. I wouldn't have called for the sac bunt anyways with Yuni. My Yuni strategy is to tell him to find a way to get plunked. Yuni is that bad of a baseball player. I used to say that this team was not as bad as the record said that they were. I take it back. They are bad and worthy of their record. This team needs new coaches and smarter players. I'm tired of watching them blow games because of stupid silly little mistakes.

Telly interviewing Ed Sedar. How do you not ask, "What the [heck] were you doing sending Weeks on contact with the infield in?"

The 3rd base coach does not ever tell a runner on third what to do, he is standing behind him probably. It is called from the bench and isn't that bad of a call considering the situation.

Sedar relays the signals from RR. And it was not "that bad a call considering the situation." It was asinine. With the infield in you are getting thrown at home 9 of 10 times (or more). And if the ball gets past the infield you can walk home.

I agree. I didn't think they were one of the worst teams in baseball, but watching them tonight, you can see how/why they lose game after game.

Some of it is the players not executing, but I do also firmly believe it's the coaching staff making things more difficult and when we win (and this is true in the past), we often times won DESPITE RR, not because of him. A manager can only do so much, but putting your players in the best position to succeed and not making stupid decisions would certainly help.

At the same time, the roster that DM has put together is just fundamentally flawed. Look at some of the PH options, it's brutal. Injuries have hurt, but a lot of that is on Melvin too, like Yuni even still being on the roster for example.

Sacrifice bunt to get to the 3rd worst hitter in MLB this season with 200 PA's.

Then, contact play with the infield in.

Where is Briggs tonight to tell us what an RBI man Yuni is?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I agree. I didn't think they were one of the worst teams in baseball, but watching them tonight, you can see how/why they lose game after game.

Some of it is the players not executing, but I do also firmly believe it's the coaching staff making things more difficult and when we win (and this is true in the past), we often times won DESPITE RR, not because of him. A manager can only do so much, but putting your players in the best position to succeed and not making stupid decisions would certainly help.

At the same time, the roster that DM has put together is just fundamentally flawed. Look at some of the PH options, it's brutal. Injuries have hurt, but a lot of that is on Melvin too, like Yuni even still being on the roster for example.

I agree on so many levels. Trust me, there may not be a person on this planet that hates the Cardinals more than I do. However, when do you ever see the Cardinals do stupid things like the Brewers? It almost never happens. They draft players that are smart. They hire coaches that are smart. RRR is not smart. RRR doesn't when know to call for sac bunts, hit and runs, squeeze, what pinch hitters to use, etc.

A smart manager would have noticed that Marcum was slowing down in September and shut him down. A smart GM would have realized that he needed a backup plan for Marcum. A smart manager does not start Yuni at SS and Mark Kotsay at CF during a playoff game. This team will not succeed as long as stupidity runs rampant throughout the organization. Everything starts at the top. Melvin makes stupid roster decisions that leaves the manager stuck with stupid players. The manager, who is already stupid, then proceeds to make stupid decisions with stupid players. It's a non-stop cycle of stupidity that frustrates the hell out of fans.

Even our best player is guilty of doing stupid things. I've seen Braun swing many times on 3-0 counts. There's no need to be greedy. Just play smart baseball. It's so simple. I hate La Russa but most of the time, he made smart decisions. Attanasio should hire consultants for the managerial hire. Grill the candidates with questions regarding situational baseball decisions.

Sedar relays the signals from RR. And it was not "that bad a call considering the situation." It was asinine. With the infield in you are getting thrown at home 9 of 10 times (or more). And if the ball gets past the infield you can walk home.

Ed Sedar did not send the runner, RRR did. I'd like to see a stat to back up your 10% success rate at the plate on the contact play. If the infielder has to dive its over and he's safe, if the infielder bobbles it he's safe, if the infielder makes a bad throw he's safe, if the catcher can't handle the throw with his catcher's mitt and mask on he's safe.

The baseball book strikes again. Worst part is that a majority of MLB managers would have managed that inning the exact same way.

Bunting for your 8 and 9 hitters is quite suspect. There is a reason those guys hit 8th and 9th, even if they were both late game replacements. It isn't like Weeks is Ramirez out there at 2B and would need a double to score. Plus, you have one of the fastest baseball players on the planet on the bench if you're really that concerned about him scoring from second. The fact Yuni was in LF provides evidence they had no intention of playing Gomez, but still.

Sure, you have a 1 in 5 chance Schafer strikes out, but based on his spray chart Schafer most likely will, at minimum, ground to the right side and advance Weeks to third that way. Out of the remaining options not named Gomez, Schafer was probably the best bet for a hit there.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I just cannot believe we went from a Righty/Lefty matchup, to giving away an out and YuniB.

I can't fathom WHY. Cannot. That was a Yostian level of idiocy. I shouldn't care this much, but it is pure stupidity.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

A smart manager would have noticed that Marcum was slowing down in September and shut him down. A smart GM would have realized that he needed a backup plan for Marcum. A smart manager does not start Yuni at SS and Mark Kotsay at CF during a playoff game. This team will not succeed as long as stupidity runs rampant throughout the organization. Everything starts at the top. Melvin makes stupid roster decisions that leaves the manager stuck with stupid players. The manager, who is already stupid, then proceeds to make stupid decisions with stupid players. It's a non-stop cycle of stupidity that frustrates the hell out of fans.

:laughing :) :laughing :) :laughing :) :laughing :) :laughing :) :laughing :) :laughing :) :laughing

I'd like to add that a smart GM, even a kind of smart GM would never have entered this season without a single 1B on the roster.

RRR is a Doofus.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

And considering their history of running on contact from 3rd base this season, you'd hope he would revise the strategy a bit. They've had guys thrown out at home from 3rd on that contact play a diaper-load of times already this season.

3TO Apostle

Archived