Brewer Fanatic

Corey Hart Arbitration

Mr Southpaw

It looks like Hart will not play this year with both knees hurting. If we offer arbitration over the winter, what would be the number since he was hurt 1 1/2 years out of the last two years?

I am guessing less than he is making this year, maybe 9 million?

they cant go to arbitration, he's a free agent. the team no longer owns the rights to him after October 2013.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

they cant go to arbitration, he's a free agent. the team no longer owns the rights to him after October 2013.

Sure they can. Teams can offer a departing free agent player arbitration, and have been able to for a long time. That is unless the rules have changed and I completely missed something.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

that is a qualifying offer, that is not arbitration. arbitration is where one team offers one amount, the player/agent offer a different, neither side agrees and they have an arbitrator decide which of the two amounts the player receives.

if you can share examples of what you're talking about Invader3K, i'd like to know what you mean.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

oh I see what you mean, yeah, players who declare themselves free agents can still be offered an arbitration offer from their original team... but I dont think the amount equals what a qualifying offer would be.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

His value in the FA market has already taken a major hit. If he misses an entire year, I can't think of anyone that would offer him a multi year deal. It's probably in his best interest to take a one year deal and hope to re-establish his value.

The Brewers might have interest in such a deal but likely for considerably less than the QO amount which is projected to be around $14 million. My guess is his value will be more like in the $6-8 million range with $2-3 million in incentives.

I see no reason for the Brewers to offer Corey any more than 5mil on a 1year deal. Some team will sign him though to a 9-11mil deal.

Save the money, use it on Segura's contract talks. Gamel/Morris/ and even Green will be the options next season at 1b.

And really? 2 bum knees from working out? Screams risk signing. For a team that is about to be broken down for some rebuild, bringing Hart back is the opposite of such process.

But at 5mil or less on a losing team, it does afford the Brewers the opportunity to then trade him away for something rather than nothing as it stands now. Still not a good idea imo.

that is a qualifying offer, that is not arbitration. arbitration is where one team offers one amount, the player/agent offer a different, neither side agrees and they have an arbitrator decide which of the two amounts the player receives.

if you can share examples of what you're talking about Invader3K, i'd like to know what you mean.

Did everyone forget about this one already?

K-Rod accepts Brewers' offer of abitration: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/heady-heady-heady-0l3brsn-135223778.html

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Did everyone forget about this one already?

K-Rod accepts Brewers' offer of abitration: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/heady-heady-heady-0l3brsn-135223778.html

This happened before the rules changed last offseason.

Exactly, there are new guidelines under the new CBA.

Outgoing free agents aren't offered "arbitration", they receive a "qualifying offer" equal to the average salaries of the top 125 paid players in MLB. The old "Type A", "Type B" free agent system is gone, and the compensation for a player who declines a qualifying offer isn't the same anymore, either.

Until he can prove that he's healthy and will be able to play at a level similar to where he was, I dont see the Brewers offering him much.
Just a diehard Packers, Badgers, Brewers, Bucks and Admirals/Predators fan living the good life in the heart of Buckeye country.

If we offer him Arby and he accepts at least we would be able to trade him for something. That would mean another 1/2 season of decent production and an extra year of service time for Morris. The cost would be around $7.5 million. I guess the question would be: Is that worth the added depth we would get from a trade?
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I think Corey Hart ends up signing a one year deal with Milwaukee. They'll still need a first basemen as I doubt Hunter Morris will be ready.

On a side note the Brewers completely screwed up the Corey Hart situation. He should have been traded for pitching years ago.

You don't get compensation in draft pick now w/o a QO and that projects around 14mil this offseason. No chance Corey gets a QO, if he does this organization can go to hell for being idiots. No way does Corey deserve a raise!

Morris doesn't look ready....now. there's what 3more months for him to change that perception. Hellweg presented nothing to resemble he'd be ready for the rotation midway through this season at the end of last season. Players improve, short sighting outlook to claim Morris isn't ready to play 1b next season when he has half a season yet to ahem "season" himself as looking ready.

Exactly, there are new guidelines under the new CBA.

Outgoing free agents aren't offered "arbitration", they receive a "qualifying offer" equal to the average salaries of the top 125 paid players in MLB. The old "Type A", "Type B" free agent system is gone, and the compensation for a player who declines a qualifying offer isn't the same anymore, either.

thank you, I was getting myself confused

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

They're screwed this year by injuries, both on the field and in trades. The trouble is, three teams in their division are better than them, given their starting pitching situation. They really can't rebuild because, unlike the Marlins, they care about their fan base.

Given that, they need to let Corey go his way. They have Schafer to fill in the OF and move Braun to 1B if Morris, Gamel or Francisco don't pan out. Maybe his money could land a middlin' starter.

Maybe his money could land a middlin' starter.

Hooray?

http://replygif.net/i/133.gif

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Maybe his money could land a middlin' starter.

Hooray?

http://replygif.net/i/133.gif

Well I hope Mark A and DM learned their lesson this year about acquiring these type of pitchers. But there could be some injury and poor performance bounce back candidates in FA with Phil Hughes, Josh Johnson, Matt Garza, Tim Lincecum, and Edinson Volquez. I think Garza and Johnson will get the biggest contracts and I don't think either is a middlin' starter but age and injury concerns wise it wouldn't be a good idea to give either a long term contract. It could be possible to get Hughes and Lincecum on a 1-year deal which wouldn't be a bad idea if the Brewers traded Lohse and Gallardo or even one of them. At worst they stink it up and you are out money for Lincecum or Hughes and at best you could either trade them mid season or keep them and offer them a QO and take the supplementary pick.

I guess the real question becomes, hypothetically, if Hart is out for the rest or most of the rest of the season, and does in fact want to be a Brewer next year, what would you offer him or what type of contract would you give? Would you go 1 year $5M + up to $3M for insentives based on playing time etc. or would it be a 1 yr deal for $6M with a vesting option? What would you realistically say or are you just done with Hart at this point?

Done. Why do we need 4 1B stacked up between MLB and AAA? That's not depth, that's horrible roster management.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Done. Why do we need 4 1B stacked up between MLB and AAA? That's not depth, that's horrible roster management.

Only one is limited only to first base. Accumulating a lot of versatile players who all might, or might not, pan out isn't a bad way to find players when the the team is short on sure things.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived