Brewer Fanatic

Machado, Trout, Harper and Segura. If you can have any one of them, who do you take?

The stache

You are the General Manager of the Milwaukee Brewers. You are given the chance to acquire one of the top three young players in the game:

Manny Machado.

Mike Trout.

Bryce Harper.

Or, you can pass on those three young superstars, and sign Jean Segura to a long term deal.

How you're able to get these players isn't really isn't important. This is purely hypothetical.

Here is a side by side comparison of their production thus far (numbers not updated for Wednesday's games).

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5201/2zg.png

Who do you add to your team? Or, do you choose to keep Segura, and sign him to a long term contract?

For me, this is a really difficult call. Jean Segura has shown more power than I anticipated at a young age. He can hit for average, and he's highly successful when stealing bases. For his career, he's got a near 91% success ratio, and he's 23 of 25 this year (92%). Defensively, he's a Gold Glove waiting to happen. He's got incredible range, and a rocket arm. If I have the chance to sign him long term, I think I take it. Superstar shortstops don't grow on trees.

Of the three players I could have, I'd probably take Machado. I think there's more power coming yet. He's already showing great hitting abilities, and defensively he's incredible at third. I heard something mentioned a few weeks ago on MLB Network-Machado just seems "smooth". Trout and Harper are spectacular talents, but I worry about their durability, Harper especially. Machado puts himself in a position where he can minimize the wear and tear on his body.

Harper has the best pure power potential in the game. He and Giancarlo Stanton both have 50 + home run capability. However, if Harper doesn't learn how to pace himself, he'll become the second coming of Mickey Mantle with all the injuries. You have to believe this scare with the knee swelling gets through to him. He can't play like Pete Rose all the time. Harper might have the best arm strength of the three players.

Trout is the wild card. He's got the best pure speed, and I don't see him losing a step any time soon. Like Segura, he plays a premium position (center field. This is where the Angels need to keep him). Trout could be a 30 HR 50 stolen base every year (he's successful about 90% of the time), and hit .290 to .310 every season. He's a real weapon atop the lineup, and he's got a fine OBP (.399 last year, .384 this season).

What would you guys do, and why?

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I do think I would take Trout but I also think it's closer then what people think.

To me the other guy who would be close to him would be Harper. Harper is 20 years old and was on pace to have a better offensive season at 20 then Trout did last year before he got hurt. He has scary power.

But because Trout plays CF and plays it elite, I do think he would be the correct answer.

Machado.

He's a short stop, only playing 3rd because of Hardy, which is harder to find than a CF like Trout. He's the second youngest of that group, only 3 months younger than Harper. I feel he's going to be a 30 homerun guy as all those doubles he's hitting this year start going out of the park.

Trout...segura would be fourth on this list for me, but I do think these are the superstars of this generation

I would put Segura in a tie with Machado. Yes Machado has more power in his bat but I like Segura's approach at the plate a lot more than I like Machado. Trout and Harper are at the top of the list with Segura and Machado falling a little behind. The gap between Trout, Segura and Machado is bigger than it is between Harper, Segura and Machado this is only because of the injury history of Harper. I am not sure Harper is ever going to stay healthy especially with the way he plays as he needs to learn when to go all out and when to hold back a little.

These four are definitely the superstars of this generation right now.

I'd take Segura. I put a high amount of value on elite defensive SS. A SS that can hit, run, and play defense? I'm locking that guy up to a long term deal. Out of the 3 on that list I would take Harper. Harper is very young and has ridiculous potential. I agree with you on the Stanton comparison. Harper has that big time HR potential. Smooth swing and stride.

I'd take Segura. I put a high amount of value on elite defensive SS. A SS that can hit, run, and play defense? I'm locking that guy up to a long term deal. Out of the 3 on that list I would take Harper. Harper is very young and has ridiculous potential. I agree with you on the Stanton comparison. Harper has that big time HR potential. Smooth swing and stride.

Exactly. It's not a slam dunk like people are saying. I would take the SS every time. I also think Segura is going to show more power than he's showing right now and this is only the beginning.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I would take the SS every time.

That's makes no sense. Its not like CF isn't a premium defensive position.

1. Trout

2.Segura / Machado (A toss up in my opinion

4. Harper

Can't really go wrong with any of these guys altough Segura might be the riskiest. He had the least amount of success in the minors of the 4 and thus far has only 3 months of great performance under his belt

Segura has been great this year and looks to have a very bright future. Saying it's Trout and it's not even that close isn't a slight to Segura, Harper, and Machado. Trout has been historically dominant.

The following is a list of the greatest age 20-21 seasons of all time. Mike Trout is halfway through his second season, so most of the guys on the list have 200-300 more PA's than him. He's 3rd in WAR and 4th in wRC+. The top ten players on the list for WAR age 20-21 (lifetime fWAR rank in parentheses) are: Mel Ott (15), Rogers Hornsby (9), Mike Trout (TBD), Alex Rodriguez (14), Ted Williams (8), Al Kaline (25), Ty Cobb (3), Jimmie Foxx (19), Frank Robinson (18), and Ken Griffey Jr (39).

I have no clue what Trout will end up doing, but what he's done up to his age 21 season is absurd. Segura, Machado, and Harper all have a chance to be great. Trout already is, and he's 21 years old.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=600&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=1871&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=20,21&filter=&players=0

I didn't say that CF wasn't important. To me SS is the most important position when it comes to defense. CF is #3 behind catcher. Maybe you value CF more than I do. I prefer the elite SS over the elite CF. You can't really go wrong with having any of these guys on your team. They are all young and very talented. I guess it just comes down to preference. Having an elite SS can make a heck of a difference. Look at how Furcal's elite defense made a big contribution to the Cardinals back in 2011. A SS with Segura's defense could have made a huge difference for the Brewers in 2011.

Exactly. It's not a slam dunk like people are saying. I would take the SS every time. I also think Segura is going to show more power than he's showing right now and this is only the beginning.

It's scary to think how good Segura might end up being. His hitting is only going to get better. As time goes by his intelligence and feel for the game will improve. I think that he's going to get bigger as well. What he eventually sacrifices in speed will be made up for in power. I'm very very excited about Segura's future. It's been such a long time since the Brewers had a legit SS.

I guess it's Trout. But it's not a slam dunk for me.

His body is so big. I don't know how to project him. Will he keep his speed? Will he be subject to muscle strains? Is he Jim Thome? Mark McGwire? He's so fast as a young man. I don't know how he'll age. There just isn't precedent for a guy like him.

Perhaps I'm over-thinking it, but I might pick Machado, too.

I don't think that Segura is on a par, talent-wise, with Harper & Trout. Those are two of the best bats to break into the majors in a long time. I actually think Jean's current MLB career slash line is a solid baseline for what to expect from him in a given year: .309/.349/.460/.809. He lacks the raw, big-time HR power that Harper & Trout possess & that Machado projects to add as he puts on more muscle... plus, don't forget Segura is two full seasons older than Trout & three full seasons older than Harper & Machado.

I think it's pretty premature to declare that Segura is "a superstar of this generation." All three of Trout/Harper/Machado have 'the' frame you want to see in an elite hitter. Segura's defense certainly will continue to be incredible, but I think we need to see him hit more in the bigs before we're talking about him as one of the elite talents of a 10 or 20 year stretch. And I've been as bullish as anyone on Segura. The fact is that we just don't yet know if he's playing over his (offensive) head, talent-wise, or not.

On The 'stache's OP question, I would take Trout.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I didn't say that CF wasn't important. To me SS is the most important position when it comes to defense. CF is #3 behind catcher. Maybe you value CF more than I do. I prefer the elite SS over the elite CF. You can't really go wrong with having any of these guys on your team. They are all young and very talented. I guess it just comes down to preference. Having an elite SS can make a heck of a difference. Look at how Furcal's elite defense made a big contribution to the Cardinals back in 2011. A SS with Segura's defense could have made a huge difference for the Brewers in 2011.

I realize he didn't say CF wasn't important. What doesn't make sense to me is just blindly taking the SS over other positions, such as CF. THe difference on offense, health, and baserunning should be included in any evaluation just like position should.

His hitting is only going to get better.

Don't know how you can say this with any degree of certainty. I wouldn't be shocked if this was his career year offensively. Is he going to hit .360? OBP .450? Slug .600?

His body is so big. I don't know how to project him. Will he keep his speed? Will he be subject to muscle strains? Is he Jim Thome? Mark McGwire? He's so fast as a young man. I don't know how he'll age. There just isn't precedent for a guy like him.

I don't think you are at all, Jim. I completely understand your hems & haws about Trout's build. However, even if/when he does lose that top-tier speed, his bat is still going to mean he's a damn good player.

Machado is looking quite enticing this season. This is a great thread topic, The 'stache.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't think you are at all, Jim. I completely understand your hems & haws about Trout's build. However, even if/when he does lose that top-tier speed, his bat is still going to mean he's a damn good player.

Machado is looking quite enticing this season. This is a great thread topic, The 'stache.

He'll be a damn good player if he's not Bo Jackson and unable to play because he body betrays him.

It seems dumb to project a guy getting a disabling injury. But Trout's body is so unique. We haven't had anyone so young, so fast, so big.

Machado seems like a safer bet.

It makes plenty of sense if you don't cut out the rest of what I said. You do a disservice to this argument and board when you do that. SS is the most premium position on the field, and CF is a close second. This is just the beginning what we are seeing with Segura. He's still developing. The power will increase even more which will further improve his stats.

Also, considering who the Brewers have in CF already, Segura is the obvious option of who we should want out of any of those options.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Archived