Brewer Fanatic

Johnny Hellweg called up (first MLB start Friday, 6/28 @PIT); Alfredo Fígaro to DL (right oblique strain)

TooLiveBrew
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd ALSO like to add it's IMPOSSIBLE to know how Hellweg would have fared as of late had he gotten just good defense. Not great defense. Heck, even average. What should be a couple double plays turns into a couple runs scored. Instead of escaping the inning with limited or no damage bobbled balls, throws to the wrong base(he's been guilty) where he went for the lead out instead of the double play on what should have been routine.

I agree he belongs in AAA and I also think he had a future as a legit top end of the rotation guy if he can gain some amount of control. But I think you are reaching on this point. This is the same defense as the rest of the pitchers have and they don't have ERA's, earned being the operative term here, over 10. Not a single 3-0 count he had was due to poor defense. The lack of control is his problem and that does not come from poor defense.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

My money is on Josh Prince until Hellweg's spot comes up, then they activate Estrada or Burgos.

Burgos was optioned and left his latest start early with more soreness. Figaro also had a setback. Estrada still has to go on a rehab assignment. So not real clear about the 4 & 5 starters after the break.

Looks like it's Gindl per JSOnline.

I'm excited for Gindl taking his career numbers into account at this point the scouts book on him looks pretty accurate: he lacked projection. Basically he picked up just enough to largely keep his OPS the same as he advanced. There were dips and some peaks, but overall he pretty much hit a mid .800 OPS every season. Saying that though still leaves a lot of room for uncertainty. His current stat line if you assume no more projection and just give him his current MLE it would be just under a .750 OPS (no platoon advantage). Yet on the other hand he has always been able to adjust to get to that mid .800 level of OPS which would be pretty handy particularly off the bench and with his positive defense too.

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone please explain to me why he is still sitting in the minors. Given the Brewers current situation, what is there to lose by getting him some MLB experience?!

Saw this stat line in an email I got from the Brewers:

• In his last 8 starts for AAA Nashville, Johnny Hellweg has allowed just 3 ERs in 51 innings (0.53 ERA) and he’s allowed just 1 ER over his last 42 innings at AAA (0.21 ERA).

What more does he need to do at AAA? Bring him up!!

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Can someone please explain to me why he is still sitting in the minors. Given the Brewers current situation, what is there to lose by getting him some MLB experience?!

• In his last 8 starts for AAA Nashville, Johnny Hellweg has allowed just 3 ERs in 51 innings (0.53 ERA) and he’s allowed just 1 ER over his last 42 innings at AAA (0.21 ERA).

Because in the middle of those 8 starts he came up to MLB and put up a solid 10.93 ERA, and couldn't strike anyone out? (2.5 K/9 isn't going to cut it).

His last 4 starts, he's only gone 6 innings per start, and he's only striking out 6 guys per 9 innings, while walking almost the same amount, and he's had a horrible 1.06 K/BB ratio.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Because in the middle of those 8 starts he came up to MLB and put up a solid 10.93 ERA, and couldn't strike anyone out? (2.5 K/9 isn't going to cut it).

His last 4 starts, he's only gone 6 innings per start, and he's only striking out 6 guys per 9 innings, while walking almost the same amount, and he's had a horrible 1.06 K/BB ratio.

So....and this harmed the Brewer how? They are out of it! Perfect time to give him starts at the big league level. I'd rather have him have rough outings now when wins/losses are not crucial to the Brewers. While Gorzelanny has done well, I sure hope the Brewers are not counting on him to be a big factor in the starting rotation for years to come. Now is the time to start looking at a possible piece of the future. He should have never been sent back down in the first place. Let him get some experience under his belt!

Also, the stats you quoted are for just a little over 10 IP. Talk about small sample size! Really? Is this the timeline we are going to give our minor leaguers to prove themselves.."We will give you 10 IP to prove yourself and strike out 5 or more batters or back to the minors with you!! We can't afford to have pitchers losing games just to get experience when we are only 15 games out of the playoffs!! "

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Hellweg walked 13 batters in 10.2 innings. He's walking more than 5 per inning in AAA.

Letting Hellweg drop a few games in Milwaukee did not hurt the team this year, but I imagine they don't want to see one of their better prospects continue to get lit-up in the major leagues. I think it's clear from his time in the majors and in AAA that he has some things he needs to work on before coming up again (save for a September call-up), so I just don't see the need to put him back into the rotation.

So....and this harmed the Brewer how? They are out of it! Perfect time to give him starts at the big league level.

Great point, Patrick. And if anyone needs an example, Wily Peralta is a perfect one. Most times it takes a prospect failing numerous times (think Segura in the first half of his big-league games last season, too) before they begin to succeed at the MLB level.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived