Brewer Fanatic

Johnny Hellweg called up (first MLB start Friday, 6/28 @PIT); Alfredo Fígaro to DL (right oblique strain)

TooLiveBrew

Not to derail this too much, but if the Brewers actually do start selling off to any significant degree, I bet they'll dump Yuni. I'd be shocked if he finished the season with the team even if they don't sell off. However, I don't think the Brewers think that Halton is a regular player in the bigs (which is debatable, though it seems to be validated somewhat by the prospect-watcher community), and Morris' contact ability presently leaves something to be desired. He hit .311 in June and is still not mustering even a .240 BA on the season.

So I don't think that Hellweg's situation is really comparable to theirs. Hellweg has an amazing arm. He makes Wily Peralta's good hard stuff look almost pedestrian. You'd like the peripherals to be better, but it's nearly impossible for RHB to square him up. Their only hope is to pound it into the ground and hope it finds a hole. I worry about his ability to combat LHB, but we'll see how much his breaking stuff has come around.

Plus, you know, who else are they going to call up? Chris Saenz isn't available.

Ideally I'd like to see him be given more time in AAA to iron things out, but it won't be the worst thing to give him some experience against MLB hitters. And even if he fails for a start or two and gets sent down, he'll be that much more motivated to get back.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not like Yuni's salary justifies keeping him around in lieu of much better performing options at 1B.

Hasn't Francisco had been getting the bulk of the playing time at first?

thats what I was just thinking

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I imagine this probably is just a spot MLB start for him, as a couple of Narveson, Estrada, Burgos, and Figaro should be back within the next two weeks.

I'm curious to watch him, but his AAA numbers are pretty underwhelming. Perhaps his low K%/low BABIP could be explained by MiLB players just trying to make contact off a guy who has far nastier "stuff" than they're used to seeing, though I'm skeptical of that. But any way you slice it, walking worse than 5 per 9 innings is not good in AAA or anywhere.

theres no way Narveson is coming back before september, they just took him off the 40-man roster.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

i'm of the opinion that if a promising player without mlb experience has burned his second minor league option, he should get a shot at the big leagues that year. it helps the club evaluate the talent and better forecast for the next two years. hellweg could be out of options as early as 2015.

Narveson was removed from the 40 man, Estrada left his last rehab start with an injury, Figaro has been terrible...

I could be wrong, but I don't think this is a spot start

He may stay but he would then be shut down by early August or mid August if he stays on the active roster. Hellweg along with Nelson are having their innings watched so I doubt he is going to stay up for very long. Though the Brewers could manage Nelson's innings in AAA and then call him up in August or September and have him take over Hellweg's spot in the rotation.

I believe Hellweg is going to get 2 starts and then the Brewers will see where Figaro, Narveson, and Estrada are at. If none of the three are ready to come back I wouldn't be surprised to see Hellweg stay in the rotation until one of those three are ready to come back with the Brewers.

If Hellweg pitches like he belongs here then I think he is probably up for good. You can always shut him down in September if you have to. Guys like Narveson, Burgos, Figaro, etc sure as heck aren't blocking him from staying up. If Hellweg is pitching well when Estrada comes back a decision will have to be made but I can't imagine them pulling Hellweg if he shows he deserves to be up. These sorts of things tend to work themselves out anyway through trades, injuries, etc.

I wouldn't be suprised at all if 2 or 3 Thornburg, Nelson, Jungmann and Pena get a cup of tea by the end of the year. Plenty of arms available to stay within innings limits.

I believe Hellweg is going to get 2 starts and then the Brewers will see where Figaro, Narveson, and Estrada are at. If none of the three are ready to come back I wouldn't be surprised to see Hellweg stay in the rotation until one of those three are ready to come back with the Brewers.

If Hellweg pitches anything close to well, I would be highly disappointed should he lose his spot to any one of those guys.

Narveson was removed from the 40 man, Estrada left his last rehab start with an injury, Figaro has been terrible...

I could be wrong, but I don't think this is a spot start

Didn't realize those guys were so far away.

Eh, why the heck not give Hellweg a go. At least gives me a reason to watch!

let's think this forward. Gallardo or Lohse get traded this is for good beyond the equivalent of 4starts. Skipping one for All-Star game. Either way, if he's your future #2/#3 let him have at it. There just really isn't any option right now.

What's the innings cap per say for Hellweg project on this year?

Yeah, there's a lot to be concerned about. But overall who else do you want starting? I'd rather put the highest upside guy out there vs. guys that are replaceable. I don't expect much from him, but he is likely the best guy to bring up to see pitch 6ip.

DL guys:Estrada,Burgos,Figaro,Fiers. Narveson not looking like an option anymore. There's just no real bodies left to hide Hellweg down in AAA anymore.

I'm excited to see him pitch and definitely prefer him over anyone else. Watching new guys (WITH upside) come up is a reason for me to start watching games again. Right now it's more fun just reading about the team on here than actually watching the product on the field. Seeing the ground ball numbers, I'm a little at ease. But then again, what do we have to lose?

From Baseball Prospectus article on Hellweg,

Scouting Report: Best known for his elite fastball, Hellweg typically sits 94-97 mph in starts, reaching up to 98-100 when needed. It’s easy 80-grade velocity. His fastball has explosive late tailing action that can induce ground balls and makes it difficult for hitters to square. Hellweg’s fastball is undoubtedly his money pitch; his hard curveball and changeup both show average potential but aren’t quite there yet.

Another one bites the dust

And another one gone, and another one gone

Hey, I'm gonna get you too

There have been plenty of good pitchers with bad debuts. (Most recent one I remember was Yu Darvish gave up 5 in two innings : http://m.voices.yahoo.com/why-yu-darvishs-rough-mlb-debut-not-bad-thing-11215092.html)

It certainly wasn't ideal but fitting for how the year has gone.

Verified Member

This guy reminds me of Ben Hendrickson. All the hype and hope and nothing but let-down after let-down.

Roenicke hung this kid out to dry last night as the bullpen has been used more over the past week. I thought when he came to get him that would be the start of his progression back to Triple A where he belongs.

The guy has control issues. Fortunately I missed his debut and relief appearance. Saved myself some serious distress. lol!

Hellwig needs more time in the minors period.

If there was ever an example of why bringing guys up when they aren't ready is a bad idea this is it. It does not dampen my belief he can be a good player someday. It does show that bringing a guy up to see what you have in them only shows where he is not what he can be.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Come on, let's not compare Hellweg to Hendrickson just yet. He's been victimized by poor defense, and unlike Hendrickson has MLB velocity. Hendrickson was more hyped as well... there were at least two years of it with him, even though he threw 86 mph.

Archived