Link Report for Wed. 6/26 - Tempers Flare, but Stars, Jungmann Victorious

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wednesday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Nashville: Idle

Huntsville: RHP Taylor Jungmann at Birmingham (White Sox), 10:45 AM pre-game, 11:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Alex Cohen is the play-by-play voice of the Stars; follow him on Twitter @alexmcohen. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be broadcast. It appears four Southern League teams air their home games on MiLB.TV, and we'll let you know when those dates pop up on the schedule

Brevard County: RHP Jacob Barnes at Clearwater (Phillies), 6:00 PM gametime

Free Live Audio Link - Clearwater broadcast

Wisconsin: RHP Eric Semmelhack at Clinton (Mariners), 6:40 PM pre-game, 7:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link - 1280 AM WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

So for the $39.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sounds games, Stars' road games from four Southern League locales, and all Timber Rattlers home games and some road games.

NOTE: 32 of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel has seventeen games scheduled and WACY-TV My NEW32 plans to show fifteen games. We'll let you know when, but won't be providing day-before DVR reminders, so regularly check for proper channel and time planning (scroll to the bottom of this link).

Helena: LHP Anthony Banda at Billings (Reds), 7:50 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Voice of the Helena Brewers Steve Wendt is back on board, and this year he's added Twitter to the mix @steve_wendt. We've been treated to Steve's work for many years now (ten!); he is among the very best at the art of the pre-game interview, especially considering how at ease he makes all these first-time professional ballplayers.

MiLB.TV -- When the H-Crew makes their way to Idaho Falls (July) and Grand Junction (August), those games will be available for viewing online.

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): at the Indians' complex in Goodyear; 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: at the DSL Nationals, 9:30 AM, although game data won't be available until later in the day

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Programming Note:

Birmingham has MiLB.TV coverage, so if you're a subscriber, you can watch this Stars' series (live and/or archived).

This Brevard County series is available with the Clearwater broadcast crew; Dave and Andy return to the airwaves on Wednesday July 3rd.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Look for Wisconsin media notes at the link just prior to game time.

New this season: Brevard County has media notes; it's a unique link each day, but look for it just prior to game time each day within the "Stats and Scores" banner here.

Also new this season: Helena has media notes; it's a unique link each day, but look for it just prior to game time each day within the "Stats and Scores" banner here.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League North Division

High-A - Florida State League North Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Rookie Advanced - Pioneer League North Division

Rookie - Arizona Summer League

DSL - Dominican Summer League San Pedro de Macoris Division

NOTE: To view first half or overall standings for Huntsville, Brevard County, and Wisconsin, you'll notice options at the respective links for that. Otherwise it's second-half standings as the default view for those three leagues.

Just Ruben Gotay of the Cards who is not a prospect. It would be nice if Tyrone Taylor would get some love nationally.

Prospect Notebook: Gary Sanchez, Taijuan Walker & Texas League All-Star Game

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Oscar Taveras back to the DL with the same ankle problem that's been bothering him all year.

Kelly to remain in relief role until July 6 start

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The Pirates are featured prominently, the only guy who prospect watchers might not be familiar with is Orlando Castro whom I've posted about a couple of times now, a small but intriguing LHP.

Ten first-half climbers: South Atlantic League

- Plato

- Plato

My bad for missing this, I haven't been watching the MiLB Prospective blog closely because in the past many of those posts became feature stories. I'll keep a better eye on it. Jesse Winker of the Reds and our own Tyler Wagner discussed

Ten first-half climbers: Midwest League

- Plato

- Plato

Just Ruben Gotay of the Cards who is not a prospect. It would be nice if Tyrone Taylor would get some love nationally.

Prospect Notebook: Gary Sanchez, Taijuan Walker & Texas League All-Star Game

I think as he continues to grow & put on muscle, he'll start to get noticed on a larger scale. The kid's hit tool looks pretty legit at this point, and pretty soon some of those singles will turn into doubles, & doubles into HRs.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Does Jungmann get the bump to replace hellweg? another very solid start that makes like 12 in a row.

side note, would bradley get the bump to double A, hes been pitching MUCH better his last 5-6 starts.

and on down the line, would Wagner get the bump to high A? I feel like he deserves it.

This is worth a read, Allie basically tells pitchers exactly what they need to do to get him out, interesting.

South Atlantic League All-Star Game Outtakes: Stetson Allie

- Plato

- Plato

Does Jungmann get the bump to replace hellweg? another very solid start that makes like 12 in a row.

side note, would bradley get the bump to double A, hes been pitching MUCH better his last 5-6 starts.

and on down the line, would Wagner get the bump to high A? I feel like he deserves it.

I sure hope so (to all). I'm so tired of this "a year at every level" garbage. They need to be more aggressive with these guys.

I sure hope so (to all). I'm so tired of this "a year at every level" garbage. They need to be more aggressive with these guys.

I think that's equally a draft and developmental issue. If you draft guys who don't have plus stuff and/or control then they are going to move more slowly... seriously if developing MLB plus pitches was that easy every pitcher would have them. I don't mean to suggest that the Brewers are great or even good at developing pitchers, but let's be honest, most of these guys have had a very long way to go to become MLB quality starters.

I have many issues with the Brewers' development staff, but the pitching progression isn't one of them. They are baselines you need to have success at each level and if a pitcher doesn't have pretty good arsenal with decent control they are going to get shredded at AA. Their are some very wide or low strike zones in A ball that pitchers can take advantage of, those advantages start to disappear the higher up the ladder you go. For example Lorenzo was exploiting a particular umpire's strike zone last night, the T-Rats have had that same crew a bunch over the last month so they know the nuances of both umpires' zone very well.

- Plato

- Plato

I think that's equally a draft and developmental issue. If you draft guys who don't have plus stuff and/or control then they are going to move more slowly... seriously if developing MLB plus pitches was that easy every pitcher would have them. I don't mean to suggest that the Brewers are great or even good at developing pitchers, but let's be honest, most of these guys have had a very long way to go to become MLB quality starters.

I have many issues with the Brewers' development staff, but the pitching progression isn't one of them. They are baselines you need to have success at each level and if a pitcher doesn't have pretty good arsenal with decent control they are going to get shredded at AA. Their are some very wide or low strike zones in A ball that pitchers can take advantage of, those advantages start to disappear the higher up the ladder you go. For example Lorenzo was exploiting a particular umpire's strike zone last night, the T-Rats have had that same crew a bunch over the last month so they know the nuances of both umpires' zone very well.

I agree as it is mostly a talent thing that is holding most of the pitchers back right now. With the strike zone you are always going to get an umpire that will call a strike zone differently. Just look at the MLB umpires each has a different strike zone as some will give the pitcher the low strike zone but won't give them the high strike zone while other umpires give the high zone but not the low zone. There are even umpires in MLB that will widen the strike zone but keep the upper and lower zone the same. The umpiring in both the minors and majors is not all that consistent while most minor league umpires will call a generous strike zone at different levels it is not all that different in the majors either. Actually in the majors with the rules that umpires have to deal with which I believe are different than in the minors in terms of pace of the game. If the game is dragging on the umpire is going to call a more generous strike zone or a less generous strike zone. You can see it in the games when a team is getting killed and it is late in the game you will see the umpire expand the strike zone a bit more.

Archived