Brewer Fanatic

realistic core pieces

MVP2110
Ok guys, just wondering what players on the current rosters you see as current core pieces moving forward. Braun, Lucroy, Gomez & Segura I think everyone can agree on. is there anyone else you see as a main piece moving forward. Peralta maybe or has his down year removed him from future plans? I would assume Gennett, Maldanado and Schafer are in everyone's plans. what about aoki or Francisco.

With Peralta, I think that about covers it. Aoki is too old and Francisco is too bad to worry about either. If you include names from the 40 man roster, I would throw a couple more in there. I'm not sure I would count Maldonado as a core piece. Maybe Shafer and Gennett, but they are both borderline in my opinion.

I don't really view Lucroy or Gomez as core pieces and I would trade Braun and Segura if the right deal came along.

I don't think he's asking who is untouchable, just who would be considered a "core" piece. Obviously Braun and Segura are core pieces. I see Lucroy as one, as well, though I'm not quite sure about Gomez.

Not sure why OP would think Schafer, Maldonado, and Gennett are in everybody's future plans. Schafer, while he looks good and could very well end up a starter for the Brewers for several years, is still just a fourth outfielder - I wouldn't consider that a "core" player. Maldonado is a backup catcher. Gennett looks nice, I suppose, but there's nothing that special about him that would make him a core piece, either.

And Francisco? What?

I'd trade anyone not named Braun, Segura, and Lucroy. I love GoGo, but I'd trade him for pitching.

I agree with all of this.

Maybe its just my perception of Gomez falling into our laps since so many had written him off...sort of like when you are up in blackjack and more willing to lose because its not your money anyway.

To be honest for me the only ones that are in my future plans (as in just about untouchable) are Braun and Segura. I would say that Lucroy and Gomez are in that next tier down that I would have to be blown away with an offer for. Then comes guys like Peralta, Burgos, Hellweg, Jungerman, Thornberg, Bradley, Nelson, Maldanado, Aoki and Schaefer as the next teir down that while it would be nice to keep them around, watch them develop and play for us, I could also ultimately trade just as well if they find pieces of need for the club. Pretty much everyone else I would trade for what would make sense, some for payroll flexability with little to no return (Weeks) and some to help build for the future (Gallardo) and some for both (Ramirez+$ for a prospect or 3). Ultimately we can talk about "core group" but realistically if the Nationals came to me and said "Hey I'll trade you Harper and Rendon for Braun I'd pull the trigger.

To be honest for me the only ones that are in my future plans (as in just about untouchable) are Braun and Segura. I would say that Lucroy and Gomez are in that next tier down that I would have to be blown away with an offer for. Then comes guys like Peralta, Burgos, Hellweg, Jungerman, Thornberg, Bradley, Nelson, Maldanado, Aoki and Schaefer as the next teir down that while it would be nice to keep them around, watch them develop and play for us, I could also ultimately trade just as well if they find pieces of need for the club. Pretty much everyone else I would trade for what would make sense, some for payroll flexability with little to no return (Weeks) and some to help build for the future (Gallardo) and some for both (Ramirez+$ for a prospect or 3). Ultimately we can talk about "core group" but realistically if the Nationals came to me and said "Hey I'll trade you Harper and Rendon for Braun I'd pull the trigger.

I don't really view Lucroy or Gomez as core pieces and I would trade Braun and Segura if the right deal came along.

I don't think he's asking who is untouchable, just who would be considered a "core" piece. Obviously Braun and Segura are core pieces. I see Lucroy as one, as well, though I'm not quite sure about Gomez.

Not sure why OP would think Schafer, Maldonado, and Gennett are in everybody's future plans. Schafer, while he looks good and could very well end up a starter for the Brewers for several years, is still just a fourth outfielder - I wouldn't consider that a "core" player. Maldonado is a backup catcher. Gennett looks nice, I suppose, but there's nothing that special about him that would make him a core piece, either.

And Francisco? What?

Exactly what I'm talking about, obviously if the right deal comes along I am willing to trade anyone on the roster. However I see Braun Segura Gennett Schafer Gomez Lucroy Maldy and Peralta still on the team 3-5 years from now. anyone else on the roster I see as either moved or released. Francisco could make a decent bat bench if he can ever come around. bullpen is always changing. Bianchi possibly as a utility guy but they are a dime a dozen. Aoki possibly but it wouldnt suprise me if he was dealt. and I'm just talking guys on the major league roster. not the minors as that would obviously open up a lot

Well if the executive Jayson Stark talked to is to be believed...

The Brewers haven't quite packed it in yet, but an official of one club that spoke with them reports that if they do sell, they'd gladly listen on their third baseman -- and, for that matter, on any position player except Segura, Carlos Gomez and Ryan Braun.

Atop the list of their most-coveted pieces, you'd find their ace, Yovani Gallardo. But teams that have checked in say the Brewers haven't made it clear whether Gallardo is going to be out there or not. One NL exec said his impression was that Gallardo is the one pitcher on this staff who won't be available. But another said: "To be honest, I think they would love to move him. Remember those fastballs that used to be 94-95-ish? Now they're 89-90-ish."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9412832/mlb-trade-deadline-preview

sorry, i guess i misunderstood the question. if i were going to look into a crystal ball i would say the following would be on our team in 3 to 5 years:

Braun, Segura, Peralta, Gomez, Lucroy, Schaefer (4th spot), Gennett, Bianchi (backup IF). For Pitchers I would say whoever doesn't flame out from the group of Hellweg, Pena, Nelson, Thornberg, Burgos, Jungerman and Bradley will be either starting or BP guys. I think there is an outside shot that Aoki and Maldanado are still here but I'm doubtful on both as I think they will be traded either this year or by this time next year.

I am not sure why anyone would put Maldonado, Gennett, or Schafer as core pieces. Maldonado is a defensive first backup catcher not much value there once he starts to hit arbitration. Actually I would trade Maldonado now if anyone would give me anything of a little value for him. Gennett looks to be very limited in terms of potential and position. He should be a utility infielder but he can only play 2B which is not good. He is not really a core player and once he hits arbitration I would just DFA him or try and trade him as he just won't be worth the contract he would receive in arbitration. As for Schafer a 4th OF should not be a core piece and if he is then you are looking more like the current Astros than you are a team looking to compete.

I really like Schafer but in no way is he a core player. There are only two players on the Brewers right now that are core players and that is Segura and Braun every other player on the Brewers can be replaced. To me Lucroy has to start getting better behind the plate in terms of blocking balls and learning how to call a game. He frames pitches nicely but he is below average in game calling and blocking balls. He is just about average to above average offensively and doesn't really do anything great. Now for Gomez I love his defense and his average this year is rather misleading I don't believe he is a .300 hitter more along the lines of a .275 or .285 hitter. If Gomez ever improves his OBP he would move up to the core player as his defense is in the elite category.

Well if the executive Jayson Stark talked to is to be believed...

The Brewers haven't quite packed it in yet, but an official of one club that spoke with them reports that if they do sell, they'd gladly listen on their third baseman -- and, for that matter, on any position player except Segura, Carlos Gomez and Ryan Braun.

Atop the list of their most-coveted pieces, you'd find their ace, Yovani Gallardo. But teams that have checked in say the Brewers haven't made it clear whether Gallardo is going to be out there or not. One NL exec said his impression was that Gallardo is the one pitcher on this staff who won't be available. But another said: "To be honest, I think they would love to move him. Remember those fastballs that used to be 94-95-ish? Now they're 89-90-ish."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9412832/mlb-trade-deadline-preview

I just read this too and that about sums up the core pieces, Braun,Segura, and Gomez. I'd have kept Lucroy and entertained as we all know trading Gomez. I'm actually a bit worried with the sentiment that Lucroy is being shopped around. By keeping Gomez, potentially Aoki the FO may view the team as being able to contend next season by adding just 1 solid arm. I get keeping Gomez, I just see him as getting 2 top 50 prospects plus another near or at top 100 prospect. Lucroy is a talent for sure but I don't see him bringing in anything better than a #3SP which doesn't help our future when we need #2 to #1 type Pitchers. So the offer that take Lucroy from us had better be spectacular.

You guys not including Lucroy as a core piece need to go back in Brewer history and glance at the rogues gallery of catchers that have come through here. No, he's not in Yadier's class defensively, but a lot of St. Louis' success the last decade is the result of stability at such an important position. Lucroy is a core player, no question. Same thing with Gomez. If the Brewers were winning he'd be in the MVP discussion.

but a lot of St. Louis' success the last decade is the result of stability at such an important position.

And here I thought their success had to do with having a lot of good players at a lot of different positions. Glad to know that a lot of it was just Yadier Molina.

but a lot of St. Louis' success the last decade is the result of stability at such an important position.

And here I thought their success had to do with having a lot of good players at a lot of different positions. Glad to know that a lot of it was just Yadier Molina.

True, but Yadi definitely improved the success rate of a lot of the Cards' young pitchers. Sure, the pitchers had talent in their own right too but it doesn't hurt to have a C like that to break into the big leagues.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think the larger point about Lucroy is how hard it is to find good catching. He's arguably top ten at his position and comes at a fair price. Not to mention there's nothing in the minors outside of Coulter and he might not be a catcher in three years.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Maldonado can catch long enough for Coulter to arrive or someone else we get in trade/or draft or sign on down the road. Obviously a step back offensively. It is something though that a wow offer for Lucroy though,meaning overpay in prospect value, can certainly be looked the other way.

A speculated ideal fit could be Detroit. And they certainly have a player we all would love to see as our future 3b.

I'd trade Maldonado, Gennett, Schafer, or Francisco in a split second for a league average starting pitcher or third baseman signed to a reasonable contract. They're complementary pieces, at best, not pieces you build around.

I think the obvious suspects of Braun, Segura, Gomez, and Lucroy are the core. None of them, other than Segura, may be untradeable but you don't trade any of them without getting someone that projects as a star in return. Seriously, have we all forgotten what it's like to have a catcher, shortstop, and centerfielder who can't hit?

Aoki, Gallardo, and maybe Henderson are probably on the next tier down. And Peralta (and some of the pitching prospects) will be given every chance in the world to succeed. You're probably not asking for top prospects in return, but you're not giving them away for salary relief or with the idea that you can find their replacement cheaply on the free agent market.

Obviously, you shop around Ramirez, due to age. And, yeah, Weeks probably isn't worth his contract, although he's hit his way up to average second baseman which should silence the critics a bit. Obviously, there are bullpen arms that should be shopped around.

Braun, Segura, Gomez and Lucroy. That's your core.

Like RobertR said above, if you are dealing any of them, it has to be for a star player or a projectable star player. For example, let's say the Brewers catch fire, win 23 of 26 games and are back in the race, and the Rockies offered some type of package that centered around Tulowitzki for Segura. That's the only way I consider trading one of those core pieces.

Anyone else on this roster should have a for sale sign on him right now to build a pitching staff that can be above average. Trades of Yo, Lohse, Ramirez, Aoki and the bullpen should go a long way to re-tooling the team with young high end rotation help as well as a projectable 3B prospect. I would even offer to pay some of Ramirez' and Lohse's contracts as the players that SHOULD be acquired with the trades of the above will drastically reduce the payroll and bring in propsects making minimal money.

Although he's not as attractive as the others, I would definately put Peralta into our short/medium-term plans. There is no reason to want to deal him and you need players under some sort of longer-term financial control.

Archived