Brewer Fanatic

NHL: who's a Wisco boy to cheer for?

Badger

Hey all, big hockey fan here but Im kind of struggling with my NHL fandom. I recently got back into hockey a few years ago and latched onto the Blackhawks (before they won the cup) because they are the closest team to where I lived at the time (grew up about 30 miles south of Madison).

Ive kind of always struggled with cheering against Chicago teams during most of the year and then cheering for a Chicago team during hockey season.

Lately, Ive thought maybe Id start cheering for the Nashville Predators because of their ties to Wisconsin with the Milwaukee Admirals.

My fiance thinks Im crazy and that theres nothing wrong with cheering for a Chicago team considering that Wisconsin doesnt have an NHL team (shes not from Wisconsin and doesnt exactly understand the issues that we have with Chicagoans).

So, what do you guys think: am I totally stupid for thinking about switching to the Predators because they have an AHL affiliate in Milwaukee and because, "dollar Bill" Wirtz cost Milwaukee a chance at having an NHL team (told the league that people in Milwaukee were Blackhawk fans, so a team would never work there) or am I just making waaaay too much out of cheering for a Chicago team.

Just a diehard Packers, Badgers, Brewers, Bucks and Admirals/Predators fan living the good life in the heart of Buckeye country.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Be a Predators fan like me.

Hockey does not belong south of the Mason Dixon line.

I live in Chicago and cheer for the Blackhawks. I used to feel the same way you did, but without a natural hockey rival I really don't see the big deal. People in Chicago don't hate people from Wisconsin - they hate Packer fans, but they don't hate Wisconsinites.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

i like the bucks but i'd trade them for a hockey team in a second, the stanely cup playoffs are so much more exciting that the nba finals and a milwaukee NHL team would have a better chance to complete than in the NBA where a few chosen markets get all of the free agents.

Be a Predators fan like me.

I live in Chicago and cheer for the Blackhawks. I used to feel the same way you did, but without a natural hockey rival I really don't see the big deal. People in Chicago don't hate people from Wisconsin - they hate Packer fans, but they don't hate Wisconsinites.

Thanks but as someone living n Chicago Im not sure that you fully understand the dynamic of Chicagoans who own vacation homes in Wisconsin, spend a few weekends there out of the year and act like they own the place.

Just a diehard Packers, Badgers, Brewers, Bucks and Admirals/Predators fan living the good life in the heart of Buckeye country.

Sharks. Cheer on Wisconsin s own Pavelski.

What then someday when the big Pavelski leaves the Sharks?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Tell that to the fans.

I'm sure it's gotten loud at a Marlins game a time or two as well. I've actually been to a game in Nashville. It's a nice arena.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Tell that to the fans.

Agree. Theres plenty of great teams and fans in places that dont have natural outdoor ice.

Archived