Brewer Fanatic

Hand to start Saturday?

TURBO

Seriously? We honestly don't have any better options in the minors? Say a starting pitcher for example? If that is the case, this team is being ran even worse than I had expected.

Geeeesh.

Donovan Hand will start for the Brewers on Saturday against the Braves.

Hand has only been used as a reliever this season both in the minors and majors, and he has throw more than an inning since early June, so it will be a bullpen start for the Brew Crew. He holds a 3.38 ERA and 9/2 K/BB ratio over 13 1/3 relief innings this season.

Source: Mike Vassallo on Twitter

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Isn't there some sort of rule about how long a guy has to be on the roster when they are called up? I know you can't call a guy up for one day and send him back down. Otherwise everyone would do that with their pitchers to gain a roster spots. Given how close some of the injured pitchers are to coming off the DL I think they don't want to being a guy up if they don't have to.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Isn't there some sort of rule about how long a guy has to be on the roster when they are called up? I know you can't call a guy up for one day and send him back down. Otherwise everyone would do that with their pitchers to gain a roster spots. Given how close some of the injured pitchers are to coming off the DL I think they don't want to being a guy up if they don't have to.

It works the other way, there is a minimum number of days a player has to stay down after being optioned. I believe a player must stay in the minors for 10 days after being optioned but the rule may have changed.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I know you are right about it that way. I don't know if there is any more to it than that. I only ask because I know some pitchers do come up for spot starts at times but I can't think of a time when they only stayed one or two days then went back down.

I like the move. Why freak? We've always done well in these bullpen games. Calling up a player could cost more than $30,000 for one outing. We have a rested bullpen, so a bullpen day makes sense.

Thornburg was only up for 4 days just 2 weeks ago

Was it that short a time? I initially thought of him because he just came up as a possible starter. But I thought it was longer for some odd reason. Maybe because he got in two games it just seemed longer or something.

I'm not very hopeful about hands start and I'm not really expecting much at all.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I'm still not expecting much and not very hopeful, and 1 start isn't enough to change that.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Rulebook question: After a start less than five innings, I've always heard that the win is given to the most effective reliever. Usually when a starter is pulled before five innings he hasn't been effective. But, could they technically award Hand the win in today's game? He certainly deserves his first major league win with this nice performance.

I'm still not expecting much and not very hopeful, and 1 start isn't enough to change that.

What's the problem? The short term hope was he could keep the team in the game. He did that and more. Long term the hope is he can help the pen. What have you seen in his body of work so far that doesn't give you hope?

What's the problem? The short term hope was he could keep the team in the game. He did that and more. Long term the hope is he can help the pen. What have you seen in his body of work so far that doesn't give you hope?

It's easy to make a comment like that after the fact.

I don't think anyone, including the coaching staff expected 4 2/3 innings from him today.

I think what he meant was that we were starting a RP that hasn't pitched more than one inning since the start of June. How could that provide anyone with hope.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Would you have made that same comment had he gone 1 1/3 and given up 6 runs?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived