Brewer Fanatic

Speculation only out of Detroit - Axford

Do the Tigers need an upgrade at CF?

How about Gomez and either Henderson or Axford to Detroit for Castellanos?

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

PFX..CF is Austin Jackson who Detroit still has 2years control of. And Avisail Garcia was one of their top prospects playing in his place.

And Castellanos isn't enough for Gomez alone. Detroit doesn't have enough prospects(high Ceiling) to trade for Gomez.

Detroit didn't have any 1st rd picks in 2011/2012 and 2009 had Jacob Turner, 2010 Castellanos and Chance Ruffin. Tigers don't have high upside talent really in their farm system after Castellanos, Rondon, and Garcia....Probably adding 1st rd pick Jonathon Crawford to the list.

My wonder would be, is do the Tigers trade away Rondon for say Axford or Henderson? K-Rod being a half season rental I can't fathom getting much in return for at least nothing B Grade or higher. And as we know Our Farm is stuffed with C Grade Prospects. I'd still take a young C grade prospect over K-Rod to finish this season, if for the fact maybe you can include them in other deals or if they add depth for a future move.

Now, again getting creative, Tigers aren't very secure in RF and that is where they are sneaking in Castellanos as quicker way to make it on their team. Depending how effective he looks out in RF, if he's a complete bust, maybe they could trade him away for say Aoki and Axford.

But, no that doesn't work with Martinez and Hunter on contract through 2014.

I really am lead to believe if we are talking trade for Axford then maybe it's getting Rondon in return(you wonder if he's a sour apple in the clubhouse?)

This with Tigers, may not wanting to go through the maturation of him while in the midsts of a WS worthy team.

I'd trade Axford for Porcello, but the Tigers wouldn't. That said, I don't really know why people are so high on Porcello. He's still young, but he certainly doesn't miss many bats. As for the Tigers, from what I've seen, they have a better candidate to close internally than most of the names they've been linked with. That Smyly kid has been pretty good, I don't know why they don't give him a crack at it. He doesn't blow people away, but he gets a lot of strikeouts. When he was starting last year, he always seemed to get through the lineup the first time pretty easily, but he didn't seem to have the stamina to go deep into games.

So, MLBTR fails to mention any of the Brewers RPs we are discussing, Axford,KRod, and Henderson as potential trade targets for closers.

Instead saying Glen Perkins and Steve Cishek are high return in trade closers to target.

Jonathon Papelbon and Rafael Betancourt are targets if made available.

So either are guys aren't interesting to name for RP/Closers or we're old news on being sellers and they name these 4 as new trade talk.

Now, looking at the players Cishek and Perkins you question why trade them? Perkins is signed to a team friendly contract through 2015 and 2016 option. And he's performed well throughout his career. So yeah if you trade him it should be for a top 30 prospect. Cishek is 1st year pre-arb. On a rebuilding team why trade him away so early?

Papelbon and Betancourt shouldn't be traded either from their competitive teams. Why would the Rockies trade away the players helping their club?

Anyway just curious the piece does state the following teams in need of closer: Tigers and Red Sox

As well as buyers being Giants, Orioles, Padres, Diamondbacks, and Reds mostly for SPs.

if John has low value, then we should keep him. We could offer him $4.5 million in arbitration for next year (10% cut that's allowed). He's had very good numbers for 2 months now

I don't claim to know the arby system well, but I would bet he would say he wants $6M and he would win.

if John has low value, then we should keep him. We could offer him $4.5 million in arbitration for next year (10% cut that's allowed). He's had very good numbers for 2 months now

I don't claim to know the arby system well, but I would bet he would say he wants $6M and he would win.

Fully agree, I'd guess the offer would need to be about 6mil from the Brewers, Axford could probably make them sweat asking up to 7.5mil. Especially if he continues his improved trend of late.

Does anyone think the Brewers will offer Axford arbitration to build off his current $5 million salary?

If not, then you can't just non-tender and let him walk.

To answer the original question, yes. I'll bet that Axford won't get a raise because they can't use closers as a comp because he is no longer a closer, and he had a bad 2011.

Not sure why people would want Porcello. He is young, but like others said 1) he doen't miss many bats, and b) he is eligible for arbitration next year and a free agent in 2016. Don't really want to pay $8M/year for a young Jeff Suppan for two years and then watch him walk.

Just a coincidence that Valverde was DFA'd the same day that Narveson was DFA'd? Brewers clearing a roster spot for a trade? Neither Hart nor anyone else on the 60-day DL is close to returning.

Jake Thompson is now eligible to be traded since it has been over a year since he was drafted (wouldn't have to put him on the 40-man though). Crosby plus Paulino for K-Rod?

I'd trade Axford for Porcello, but the Tigers wouldn't. That said, I don't really know why people are so high on Porcello. He's still young, but he certainly doesn't miss many bats.

I don't get the Porcello love either. He gives up a ton of hits and few strikeouts. Come next year he'll make pretty good money in his last arby year and then he'll be a free agent.

Granted, we can't expect all that much for Axford, but i'd rather have even just a decent prospect or two than get Porcello, regardless whether Detroit would or wouldn't trade him.

I posted this in the other thread but its better suited here.

"@jonmorosi

Scouts will watch Tigers prospect Jordan Lennerton at Futures Game. He is a LH-hitting 1B. Detroit has one of those. #TradeChip"

Seems like a realistic option for a half season rental who would most likely be non tendered.

@WiscoSportsNut

Archived