Brewer Fanatic

Braun Placed on DL, retroactive to 6/10; Gindl called up

splitterpfj

It's gonna be Gindl. They need someone who can cover all 3 OF spots, and Gindl can. Davis only plays LF.

Why would the Brewers need a 4th player who can cover all 3 OF spots? Doesn't really make any sense. Schafer and Aoki can both play CF along with Gomez. Not sure why this would even be needed. If they wanted someone who can play all 3 OF spots they could just call up Josh Prince again as he can also play all of the INF positions also.

Which outfielder would you recall to replace Braun on the roster?

Gindl was a late scratch tonight, I don't know if that's coincidence or not.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't Caleb, given that

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It's gonna be Gindl. They need someone who can cover all 3 OF spots, and Gindl can. Davis only plays LF.

Why would the Brewers need a 4th player who can cover all 3 OF spots? Doesn't really make any sense. Schafer and Aoki can both play CF along with Gomez. Not sure why this would even be needed. If they wanted someone who can play all 3 OF spots they could just call up Josh Prince again as he can also play all of the INF positions also.

I guess it's his lefty bat as well, and he's been hot recently at AAA. But I really do think it's his OF defense that's a big factor. Prince is a more natural IF, and Davis sucks in the field.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

It should've been Davis, and they could've platooned Schafer and Davis in LF til Braun is back.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Nice to see Gindl turn it around. I would have beeen okay with Davis because of the platoon but I have not been impressed with Davis and prefer Gindl at this point. Gindl is also the only lefty bat when Francisco and Scooter start.

It should've been Davis, and they could've platooned Schafer and Davis in LF til Braun is back.

No, ideally it would have been Sean Halton who over his last 10 games is hitting .500/.590/.594 and can play either corner OF spot as well as 1B. But there's no room on the 40 man right now. Gindl's been hot as well (.364/.391/.568 over his last 10).

Davis on the other hand is hitting just .218 since being sent down, and is just 2 for his last 29. He's also just 10 for 51 vs. lefties, which is worse than the lefty swinging Gindl and RH Halton vs. lefties.

Gindl deserves a shot. I really thought he'd be the 5th OF this spring to make the team. He has never really had a bad year in the minors (2012 was injury-plagued, but also a repeat year of AAA). He's a lefty with defense, OBP, and power

Gindl has a lot more value as an extra outfielder than does Davis certainly and I certainly think he'll be in prime position to take the 4th OF spot if Aoki ever gets dealt. I don't see him getting many opportunities in this spot though. He's more insurance than anything else.

Braun to the DL should have happened a month ago. He was clearly hurt and we just kept trotting him out there, he clearly wasn't himself. This should have been handled much better and his DL stint would have already been over. Just more ineptitude IMO.

Davis is having a fairly brutal season, even in AAA, hitting .218 with just a .381 Slugging % in AAA ball (although to his credit, he is drawing walks and has a .333 OBP). In his last 10 games Davis is hitting just .125 with a .470 OPS

Gindl has pretty significantly outplayed Davis throughout the AAA season so far.

I'm glad they are going to DL Braun. We're not going to the playoffs this year anyways. Let him get healed up.

Hopefully they'll actually get Gindl some playing time

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

i am calling him out. inflamed nerve, boo hoo! get on the field and play. he should feel guilty stealing the fans money.

i have never been a huge braun fan. I love his production, but its all backs, necks, obliques and thumbs with this guy.

in light of the recent bad press, its almost like he is hiding.

ok now kick me off bfan for bashing golden boy. I can use the extra summer hours this season.

i am calling him out. inflamed nerve, boo hoo! get on the field and play. he should feel guilty stealing the fans money.

i have never been a huge braun fan. I love his production, but its all backs, necks, obliques and thumbs with this guy.

ok now kick me off bfan for bashing golden boy. I can use the extra summer hours this season.

Yeah, the days he's piled up on the DL in his career is really getting on my nerves.

Maybe you should kick yourself off and learn something about nerve inflammation. I have suffered from an inflamed nerve in the past and it is nothing to take lightly...especially in the hand...when he hits a baseball for a living. Also..."stealing the fans money"? Give me a break...these are athletes and real people. They get hurt in the grind of a 162 game plus spring training season. I'm not a Braun apologist but your little rant there makes you look completely ignorant.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

"Stealing the fans money."

If Braun is stealing what did Jeff Suppan, Bill Hall and Eric Gagne do?

"I love his production, but its all backs, necks, obliques and thumbs with this guy."

Since his first full season in 2008 Braun has played in the 12th most games and racked up the 10th most plate appearances in all of MLB and this is his first ever DL stint.

If Braun needs the rest of the year to get better I say give it to him, we're not going anywhere anyway and it'll only help our 2014 draft position/cap allocation and encourage the ownership/front office to sell off pieces to hopefully speed up the necessary rebuild.

Seems like this inflamed nerve in Braun's hand isn't getting much better. He might not be back until after the all-star break.

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/2013/06/20/braun-will-need-more-dl-time/

out until all-star break.... smells like someones appealing a 100 game suspension to me

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Braun made every effort to be out there. He played through it, for at least a month, by his own admission (http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/2013/05/27/thumb-injury-sidelines-brewers-braun/).

Obviously extrapolating with small samples won't tell us a lot, but if we arbitrarily assign May 14 as the first time it started getting bad (two weeks, per Braun's comments on the 27th), we have:

May 14-June 9

.301/.359/.419

28 H, 6 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 19 K

On May 27 is when they really publicized the injury. He sat on May 27th and pinch hit. From May 27:

May 27-June 9

.277/.327/.340

13 H, 1 2B, 1 3B, 9 K

The triple came the game after he sat. Basically in that small amount of time either he was slumping, or the injury sapped his power. By giving his swings the eye test, I'd go with the latter. I cringe to think how poorly he'd have done if he weren't as athletically gifted as he is.

If this team were contending he'd probably be out there being Juan Pierre the singles machine, but the way the season is the best thing for everyone is to get his hand right. If him being on the DL for a month means that he doesn't need to have surgery and miss 6 months down the line, fine by me.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived