Brewer Fanatic

Anyone Going to The National?

JimH5

The National Sports Collectibles Convention is July 31- August 4 in Rosemont, IL. . .very near O'Hare.

http://www.nsccshow.com/

It is the biggest sports collectibles show every year. There are tons of autograph guests, and a wide variety of sports related things.

I'm probably going to go on Thursday or Friday to avoid the weekend crowds.

Looking for vintage autographs or early era Brewers stuff.

Anybody else planning to go?

Don't be buying up all the older Brewers stuff

I won't.

But I did pick up the Surhoff jacket last night from the Huggins & Scott auction.

I'm mad I didn't stick it out longer for the Molitor bat. . .

I plan on being there with my boy on Thursday and part of Friday, but don't worry about me competing for the top Brewer items. My prize the last time it was in Chicago was a Ruben Quevedo ST jersey for $40.

How much does Brewers stuff go for at auction? I watch Mears but prices seem inflated due to being local.

My bid on the Surhoff jacket was $180. With the buyer's premium and shipping, it will be about $227.

The Molitor bat (game issued, but NOT game used), was won with a $275 bid. I was traveling and wasn't around when the late bidding was going on. My max bid on the bat was $250, and I might have gone higher, but that's also true of the winning bidder. Not sure what the total will be with the buyer's premium and shipping. Probably $350ish. . .and that's really about all I'm willing to spend on a bat anyway. I get as much fun out of having a Cecil Cooper or Sixto Lezcano bat, and they sell for much less than Molitor's.

Mears is a good company. They will often have Brewers stuff, which isn't true of other auction houses. I have gotten some real bargains from Mears, and other times, the prices seem inflated. I guess everyone's got a max amount they'll pay for something.

I plan on being there with my boy on Thursday and part of Friday, but don't worry about me competing for the top Brewer items. My prize the last time it was in Chicago was a Ruben Quevedo ST jersey for $40.

For the Brewers, I'm not into the cream of the cream stuff either. Until I see it, I guess. . .

For Brewers stuff, I really like things from the 1970s. . .It's rare to come up with game used equipment that has strong authenticity. So I usually end up looking through Kellogg's 3D cards, Sunoco pinbacks, 1975 All-Star game stuff, JD McCarthy postcards, press photos, schedules. media guides, yearbooks. That stuff is usually pretty cheap.

Other than that, I'm looking for a Yankees pennant from the 40s or 50s to finish up my collection of the 16 AL & NL teams. And I also like signatures of pre-1950s Hall of Famers--though most of the guys left on my want list are getting expensive.

I met up with BF.net contributor Pedro at the National in Baltimore a few years ago. He's a fine fellow.

Jason, drop me a PM as the date gets close, and if we're there at the same time, maybe we can meet up for lunch.

When I had my kids I sold all of my high end jerseys at that time. I figured it was best to just take the money and put it in their fund. I keep thinking if I should cash in the Bill Hall tracksuit bobble as well.

I too look like the 70's oddball type stuff. I know I need some Milton Bradley cards, always looking for team issued press photos, and any others I don't have.

I also am on the lookout for Brewers minor league from the 30's to the 50's. My unicorn is trying to find anything related to the Milwaukee Bears. When I was a youngster I would make my Mom and Aunt take me rummage saling around the neighborhoods where Bourchert field was located. Needless to say, I now understand why they were so reluctant to do it.

I

There is an art poster from about 20 years ago of Borchert Field that I would really like to have. The guy who used to operate the memorabilia shop on North Avenue just east of 124th street used to have one hanging in his store, but I haven't seen one since. It was done by a Milwaukee artist, who also did other vintage landmarks and turned them into notecards, with a few of them done as posters.

I do have one game program from the 1948 Brewers, but I can't afford to dive too deep into the minor league stuff, as that depletes money that I want to devote to the "Mike Hegan era" Brewers.

Besides game used stuff, the stuff from the 1970s Brewers isn't terribly expensive. It's just a matter of finding it.

I've been saving/buying/flipping to be able to get a Hank Aaron rookie PSA 6 at the Natty this year. I'm going down on Wednesday or Thursday for sure. I also plan on getting some unopened from BBCE and depending on what I have after that, I wouldn't mind picking up a 53 Topps Matthews and a 50 Jackie Robinson Bowman. However, I've been paying attention to prices on eBay and the vendors are charging too much I might have to go that route.

I'm looking forward to seeing what is all there. I went a few years ago, but only was buying up signed baseballs as I wasn't much into cards at the time.

Jim, what ever happened to Pedro? He was a really nice guy on these boards, would send people bobbleheads and cards and stuff a few years ago. Very generous.

I think Pedro is still around and is still active in the collecting hobby. I PM'ed him last summer and he was still collecting. Not sure why he has faded away from here for awhile.

I'll drop him a note and encourage him to join up with us again.

• 1 month later...

I will be at the National all day on Thursday.

If anyone wants to meet up to show off our purchases, let me know..

I'll be there at 10:00, and will probably go off site for lunch (unless the food is good, which it seldom is), and then return in the afternoon.

Looking for 1970s Brewers stuff, a 1950s era or earlier Yankees pennant, and autographs from old era Hall of Famers.

Jim, I'll be down there Thursday as well...looking to get there right when it opens, not sure how long I'll stay. Prolly till mid afternoon. I'll be at the BBCE table around 2pm to meet up with guys from the PSA message boards. I'll prolly have a green backpack and a blue hip pack with a trash can embroidered in it if you choose to stop over there.

By that time I'll be in possession of, or close to being in possession of a Hank Aaron rookie...starting to get really excited about this, i've been putting away money since February.

I'll look for you Bikeage77. . .Good luck with the Aaron.

I'll be dressed like every other middle aged white guy there. . .khaki shorts & a polo shirt.

But I'll have a grey & blue cap with the "Go Brewers Go" emblem, and a black Adidas messenger bag.

Polo and khaki's--yep, I believe I will also be in uniform. Last time I wore a Braun Sounds jersey.

Not sure how I'll distinguish myself. Maybe I'll bring an Orange Nike gym bag. My boy probably will have an Eagles backpack.

Another National come and gone for me. I had a successful show from a buying perspective and saw fellow BF.netter Pedro for lunch. Sorry I didn't get to meet up with Bikeage77 or jschris. . .hope you guys found what you were looking for.

The show goes through Sunday at the Donald E. Stephens Center right near O'Hare. Highly recommended for any and all collectors. Bill Simmons was on site. He often does an overview on ESPN.com or Grantland, so you'll get to see some of the stuff on display.

I picked up a bunch of signed 3x5, GPCs, etc.

The big ones were Honus Wagner, Grover Alexander, Eddie Collins & Kiki Cuyler.

I also got some Brewers. . .Harvey Kuenn, Frank Lane, Roberto Pena & Lafayette Currence.

Those came from Kevin Keating & Phil Marks, two of my favorite autograph dealers.

And I picked up a DVD from Raresportsfilms of the final three Packers games played under Vince Lombardi. I plan on giving that to one of my brothers-in-law for Christmas.

I didn't find the Yankees pennant I was seeking. There were several vintage ones, but I'm holding out for an awesome one.

I didn't see tons of early Brewers stuff, but after the autograph buys, there wasn't any money left anyway.

I saw very little in the bobblehead department. There was a few Milwaukee dealers who had a handful of Brewers bobbles.

There is one guy that has like every vintage ceramic bobblehead out there and they are very cool to look at. It's pricey, but awesome.

I saw a GM 10 Mickey Mantle while there. All I could think was "So that's what 2 Million Dollars looks like in person"

I got a 53 Mathews in a PSA 6 and a lot of unopened wax from the BBCE stand. Only saw one Aaron in a 6, it was too off centered and he wanted 300 more than I was willing to spend. That was my hot ticket item. They pop up on eBay a lot. Was also trying to find a few nice Jackie Robinson cards and again, nothing in the price range. I guess these people have to pay for tables, flights, room, food, etc somehow though.

Jim, can you PLEASE post scans or photos of those sigs? That's incredible!!!

Jim, can you PLEASE post scans or photos of those sigs? That's incredible!!!

I'll post some pics after I get the projects finished. . .

I'm going to have photos and signatures matted and framed.

Very exciting for me. . .by far the biggest purchase I've made.

Archived