Brewer Fanatic

It's Time to Change Baseball's Draft

splitterpfj

Moving this from the draft forum, since it's on topic here.

I agree there should be major changes to the MLB Draft. I'd like to see it modeled after the NHL Draft, including the drafting of all international players. The number of high-level talented international hockey players should be comparable to the number of similar level baseball players.

The NHL Draft rules regarding college players and international draftees are much better than any of the other major sports. Having control of a player drafted who then goes to play NCAA baseball would result in an immense shift for how MLB organizations approach scouting and drafting.

A summary of what the NHL Draft rules can be found at this link: http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospects/a/How-The-Nhl-Draft-Works.htm

Here are some highlights, with some text emphasized in bold italics:

Eligible Players

Players who turn 18 by September 15 and are not older than 20 by December 31 are eligible for selection. In addition, non-North American players over the age of 20 are eligible.

A North American player who is not drafted by the age of 20 is an unrestricted free agent. All non-North Americans must be drafted before being signed, regardless of age.

Re-entering the Draft

A player not signed by his NHL team within two years of being drafted can re-enter the draft, as long as he is 20 years old or younger at the time of the subsequent draft. Players over 20 become unrestricted free agents.

NCAA players are an exception: NHL teams retain the rights to a college player until 30 days after the player has left college.

A team that does not sign a first-round draft pick is awarded a compensatory pick in a future draft upon losing the rights to that player.

A player who has been drafted a second time cannot re-enter.

Recent Changes

European Players - Prior to 2005, NHL teams retained the rights to a European player until that player turned 31. Drafted Europeans must now be signed within two years, the same as North Americans, or the team loses the rights to the player.

NCAA Players - As of 2004, 18-year-old players from NCAA Division I schools can be drafted and retain their college eligibility as long as they don't play for a pro team or hire an agent. In previous years, an 18-year-old who opted into the draft lost his NCAA eligibility.

Compensatory Picks - As of 2005, a team that loses a veteran player as an unrestricted free agent is no longer awarded a compensatory pick in a future draft.

I'd like something like the NFL's draft compensation system where they compare players lost and signed, irregardless of whether a tender was offered.

Any team that has a net loss of talent would then acquire compensatory draft picks

I'd like something like the NFL's draft compensation system where they compare players lost and signed, irregardless of whether a tender was offered.

Any team that has a net loss of talent would then acquire compensatory draft picks

Not with the way some teams can spend money. If it was a level financial playing field that may work.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I am not an expert on the draft but the whole idea of having to worry about the "signability" of your draft picks is beyond stupid IMO. I feel like once a player is drafted they should not be able to decide to wait for another year to go for another team/more money. I am all for a system where a player needs to declare and then has one shot at the draft.

Archived