Brewer Fanatic

Best Music of 2013

Surprised I didn't see a thread yet...

But to kick it off: I'll be surprised if much can challenge Jason Isbell's new record "Southeastern" as one of the top albums, if not the top album of the year.

Not really my kind of music but to each their own.

So far I have been enjoying Killswitch Engage's new album "Disarm the Descent" and Rob Zombie's "Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor"

So far I have been enjoying Killswitch Engage's new album "Disarm the Descent"

Yes. Can't wait to see them in a month. I enjoyed the first 2 albums with Howard more than the 1st with Jesse but this one is right up there.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

'Amok' by Atoms for Peace isn't as good as Thom Yorke's 'The Eraser' nor Radiohead's 'King of Limbs', but it's a palatable amalgam of approximately the middle-est of both.

'The Terror' is the Flamings Lips best since 'Yoshimi', which doesn't say a whole lot but I did like 'Embryonic' quite a bit. Really their only mis-step in the past 20 years was 'At War with the Mystics'.

'Ghost on Ghost' by Iron & Wine was a bit disappointing to me. The loungy, jazzy tripe which alternately takes up half the album are the biggest offenders of musical blandness Sam Beam could possibly spit out, belying the lyrical complexity he consistently brings.

'Trouble Will Find Me' by The National is another one of there's that I will love infinitely more after another 100 listens.

Daft Punk's 'Random Access Memories' has been everything and nothing I expected. I've played it so much in the past few weeks I'm almost sick of it. Every time it comes on again though, that feeling goes away instantly.

That's all I've had a chance to get into this year, which is at a greater rate than years past. How does the new QOTSA rate on a scale of to 'Era Vulgaris' to 'Songs for the Deaf'? That's 5-10 in layman's terms.

A few of my favorites so far:

The National - Trouble Will Find Me

Mikal Cronin - MCII

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience

Youth Lagoon - Wondrous Bughouse

"'The Terror' is the Flamings Lips best since 'Yoshimi', which doesn't say a whole lot but I did like 'Embryonic' quite a bit. Really their only mis-step in the past 20 years was 'At War with the Mystics'."

I couldn't disagree more. I think the Lips are at the best when their weirdness (not sure how else to describe it) has some pop sensibility. The Terror and Embryonic are good, but I think At War with the Mystics is superior.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I couldn't disagree more. I think the Lips are at the best when their weirdness (not sure how else to describe it) has some pop sensibility. The Terror and Embryonic are good, but I think At War with the Mystics is superior.

[sarcasm]Twisting obvious facts to meet your musical tastes is the most egregious example of musical homerism there is! I will not stand for it! I suppose you're entitled to your opinion and everything, but now I must distrust everything you say![/sarcasm] :)

I gave AWWTM another spin fairly recently and while it wasn't as bad as I remembered, it's just travels down the path of the element of FLip-ness that I like least. To each their own though, obviously.

Black Sabbath - 13 : All I can say is.......WOW! If you like the classic Sabbath sound, this is the album for you! A welcome addidtion to put today's generic rock sound to shame!!!

Queensryche (Geoff Tate Version) - Frequency Unknown

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

thanks, didn't know sigur ros had a new album out, will have to check that out.

It dropped yesterday.

The new Kayne record also dropped as well. I don't quite understand the indie/hipster/critic love for it. Pitchfork gave it a 9.5. Does that mean London Calling is a 20?

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

It dropped yesterday.

The new Kayne record also dropped as well. I don't quite understand the indie/hipster/critic love for it. Pitchfork gave it a 9.5. Does that mean London Calling is a 20?

I made it through once. I feel like I need to give it at least one more listen, but man is it rough. I suppose it sounds decent when he stops telling me how great he is and the featured guests sing.

It dropped yesterday.

I made it through once. I feel like I need to give it at least one more listen, but man is it rough. I suppose it sounds decent when he stops telling me how great he is and the featured guests sing.

Same here. I put it on when I was working out so I'll need to give it another listen when I'm paying more attention.

First thoughts... Stop putting auto tune on Justin Vernon's vocals and let Frank Ocean sing way more. Use him on a chorus and not at the end of the track (I actually thought it was a completely different song.)

I agree that I seemed to enjoy the non-Kanye elements more than him, which is odd, as I generally enjoy his music. I guess I liked him more as a lyricist on his earlier albums, that appears to have gone away on this album. This album just seemed to me to be "how many different ways can I basically present the same words?" I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it. I did enjoy the first song on the album, I'm sure you won't be able to go to a club without hearing it a few times.

There is no "best music" since 1989. Yes I am old. That is all.

Well at least you admit that you are old and probably the reason why because there was a lot of "best music" in the 90's and early 2000's and even now. But most people are just stuck in the past and can not even understand that music changes from decade to decade. The 50's music is not anything like the 60's and the 60's are not anything like the 70's and so on and so on.

In the 90's you have some great bands in Pantera, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Tool and many more great bands and music from the 90's. There is plenty of good music now it is just that no one wants to change their taste in music and actually discover some good music and most don't want to change what they listen to as being good music.

Some good music right now and yes I know it is not the hair metal that you are used to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBMT3OMEPwk

• 2 months later...

Archived