Brewer Fanatic

Brewers High-A Future -- Latest: Manatees choose Braves; Rockies May Like Carolina, Too

Brewer Fanatic Staff

As far as considering a renewal, it wouldn't be the fans who are worn down by losing records, it'd be team ownership and management.

And you can ask any front office staff member at any affiliate, things around the entire operation are a lot more enjoyable on a day-to-day basis when the team is contending.

And it's that small subset of ownership/staff that's going to make the call on future affiliation.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Osceola County announces minor league baseball team, asks fans to pick new name

WFTV.com

http://mediaweb.wftv.com/photo/2016/06/29/OSC-MANATEES-BASEBALL%20ANNOU_20160629162227851_5142548_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. — Osceola County has a new minor league baseball team.

The Manatees will relocate from Brevard to the Osceola Heritage Stadium starting next spring.

The county had been trying to recruit a new team since the Astros moved to West Palm Beach.

County commissioners announced Wednesday that next year, the facility will be the new home to the Brevard County Manatees.

The team is currently an affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers.

“We are going to make sure that they have a fantastic time at the ballpark, they are entertained, that we make them laugh,” said Brevard County Manatees team president Joe Arrington.

Osceola County is a diverse community with a large Hispanic population. Visitors come from all over central and South America.

“By having it here, we can tap into the thousands of Brazilians, Ecuadorians and other folks that come to our community on a yearly basis, and once again provide that more affordable family entertainment that they might be able to experience,” said District 3 Osceola County Commissioner Brandon Arrington.

The team wants to change its name and wants to public to help.

“We want your submission,” said Arrington.

Fans can submit their new team names for the existing Brevard County Manatees minor league team coming to Osceola County here: www.probaseballbackincentralflorida.com.

Osceola County is a diverse community with a large Hispanic population. Visitors come from all over central and South America.

I wonder if Mass Haas is suggesting we try to name the team the "Brewers"?

Seems like the Kissamee "Cerveceros" may be the ticket they are looking for.

Read an article about the opposing player hurt in BC's weight room. I have to imagine there is going to be a nice lawsuit to come out of that; a nice kick out the door I guess.

I saw on Baseball Prospectus today that Mat Imhof's eye could not be saved and he will be getting a prosthetic eye installed.

If there is a lawsuit it will be large.

I think the weight room is likely the responsibility of the Manatees. Generally, the minor league team provides the facilities and the employees related to runnng them. The major league team provides the players, coaches, and trainers.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• 4 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

If the Brewers are fortunate enough to be retained by Manatee ownership, we'll be rooting for one of these team names (via Ballpark Digest):

Florida Dragonflies: Known for their resilience and fighting spirit, a name among the likes of these prehistoric Florida insects falls in line with other wacky names in Minor League Baseball.

Florida Fire Frogs: Going head-to-head with a fire frog is not for the faint of heart. The fire from these frogs is as hot as a Central Florida summer and will leave their opponents feelin’ the burn.

Florida Mud Kickers: In a nod to Osceola’s strong heritage, the Florida Mud Kickers will help preserve two great American traditions – baseball and rodeo. Saddle up, and let’s play ball!

Florida Rodeo Clowns: The Rodeo Clowns commemorate the world famous Silver Spurs Rodeo. So grab your hat and boots and join the team for an experience more fun than a barrel of Rodeo Clowns.

Florida Sorcerers: The Florida Sorcerers speak to the region’s strong entertainment industry. Fans can expect an enchanted ballpark where the mystical forces of good and evil come to life.

Florida Toucans: The Florida Toucans celebrate the area’s tropical climate that the world “flocks” to (more than 66 million visitors a year in fact!). Imagine steel drum bands, tropical shirts, and an umbrella in your favorite ballpark drink.

One would hope Manatees management would want to be able to market an association with the MLBPipeline.com #1 ranked system to their Kissimmee fan base.

C'mon, Gord Ash, butter 'em up!

Well since most of the guys that make the system #1 are above A+ I don't think that would help much.

Just buy one MA!!!!

I would love to see the Brewers buy into affiliations they want to keep long-term. The T-Rats and Shuckers should be considered... I like the idea of having a say in the facility and the security of never having to end up in say Beloit, or High Desert, or Colorado Springs. Get into the Carolina League, get back into the IL for AAA, and buy or buy into the franchises.

Kindrick Legion Field where the H-Crew plays is pretty old and doesn't have any amenities, but I'm not sure that matters so much for short season ball. I admit I have a soft spot for Helena though.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Is Kissimee a more palatable situation as far as ball park, conditions, etc., so we can assess hitters on a more even level.

Triple A is an obvious problem and I hope we are being creative behind the scenes to get a top flight solution, not chasing leftovers in a game of musical chairs. Maybe get aggressive and insert ourselves in any situation where there is an option. The way Nashville went down, maybe we can be ruthless in another move in the way we got burned but flipping it on someone else.

With our low payroll, we can have financial flexibility in other areas. This could be one.

Does anyone know why more teams don't just have their own affiliates. Do current owners not want to sell forcing a team to build their own park to have their own? Does MLB frown upon on it? Owners of MLB franchises don't want the added personnel?

I mean I just don't get it. Feels like a way to make the MLB product better and really add some revenue.

Archived