Brewer Fanatic

Perfect Trading Partner- KC Royals?

Okay, stealing Ely's thunder with topic name. Figured would roll this out there.

Kansas City as we know sent away a trio of highly thought of prospects for 2 remaining years of James Shields and Wade Davis. They have an array of potent young bats that gave them glimpses at a promising year this year with any steps forward or no decline.

They unfortunately haven't seen the steps forward in Eric Hosmer/Mike Moustakas and a decline in Alcides Escobar from last season. All Star from Last year Billy Butler has also struggled a bit from expectations at the plate. Add Salvador Perez to putting up the BA but no true power or overall production as would be expected.

Shields/Santana/Guthrie have been productive as starters without the record to show for it. Clearly the team needs SP to make a run. I don't know if the Brewers are the answer to that but I will suggest potential fit for them/us.

RF-Jeff Francoeur. Literally has to have the fans going mad. I read he was the worst position player last season -2.8WAR and he's at a -.8WAR this season. He's owed 7.5mil this season and it's with that I propose this deal>

Brewers send> Norichika Aoki,Corey Hart,Hunter Morris to Kansas City for> Jeff Francoeur, Eric Hosmer, Yordana Ventura, Cheslor Cuthbert, and Kyle Smith.

The thinking behind the deal. The Royals immediately improve at RF in Aoki over Francoeur. Hosmer just isn't providing the pop the team needs at this stage and the thinking is a change of scenery may do the trick. Hart's contract is offset by the Brewers taking in Francoeur's so the Money doesn't become an issue. He slides in at 1b to give an improved bat over Hosmer. He'll be able to DH when needed since Butler can cover 1b. There may even be an occasion you play him in RF over Aoki vs. a Lefty.

Why send Morris? Hosmer takes over at 1b thus blocking him. He also becomes the 1b for KC in the near term to lighten the blow of losing Hosmer.

Ventura is a flame thrower with a big curve. If he misses as a Starter he'll become a solid(dominant? ;) ) closer. Cuthbert chimes in as a 3b in our Minors. With Francisco on board, there's time to develop him. Reads has having a strong arm and potential to hit for average and power. Could be a long term solution at 3b? Smith comes in as just a young #3 Projected SP. It's about depth getting him. I'll take a #3 if he's our #4/5 down the road which is really what one should build for no?

Maybe KC offer Hart a 1yr deal to fit with Shields as a win now timeframe. Aoki's age/contract gives them time to get Starling to the team.

go ahead and discuss

I don't see Kansas City going for that. I would do it but at this point unless they can turn it around (and I don't think they can) they look more like sellers than buyers.

Fair enough.

There's a lot of talent on that team but in Butler/Shields that talent wont exist much longer. Your Cleanup/Ace on the team.

I look at it as, the Royals traded away Myers/Odorizzi/Montgomery for Shields. If they don't make the Playoffs this season, then they Must Next Season! Or else that trade is a complete head scratcher and WTH?! were they thinking?!!?

That is why I think the team may look in to trading for a run at the Post Season this year and for next. Aoki is the RF monetarily that solves one of the 3 Biggest needs they have. I think setting Aoki atop their order places Gordon 3rd,Butler 4th,Perez 5th really helps that team overall vs batting Gordon 1st. Hosmer 3rd/4th/5th....anywhere since he's not producing solidly enough.

Based on what I read in Morris, I'm not excited to have him as our cornerstone 1b for 6years. Hosmer is the type of 1b you wonder if he puts it together that 1st year you can buy out the other arb years plus say 2 FA years. If he doesn't I'd imagine he can be a trade piece. He's 23. Considering Gomez's growth I'd think we could overlook his thus far numbers and focus on what his potential growth is. He's at .265 and hitting for a high average was the original read up on him. 20HRs is solid to me when accompanied with a higher BA and any more is just bonus in the slg department. KC thought he'd arrive to his potential sooner and cant wait for it to arrive when they must make the post season within 1 of these next 2 seasons.

If Hosmer isn't in the trade equation, then Morris/Hart are taken out of the deals. So then it's Aoki alone. I think with what Royals have in Francoeur, they'd overpay in the prospect they send over for Aoki. Maybe more so if we take on Francoeur's salary. Zimmer or Ventura in return? plus 1 B-/C+ prospect?

I think Hunter Morris will do well at the MLB level in a platoon situation. He hits RHP very well

Personally I'd like to see pitching brought back in trades

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I think Hunter Morris will do well at the MLB level in a platoon situation. He hits RHP very well

Personally I'd like to see pitching brought back in trades

Who will be Hunter's Platoon mate?

Ventura is a Pitcher as is Zimmer. I just can't imagine the Royals parting with Zimmer a year after being the 5th pick in the draft. But Ventura sounds like a better prepared prospect anyway.

Trying to see ahead what the team's future moves are going to be. I suggest Cuthbert since with ARam's trade likelihood, and the lack of a 3b prospect it scares me to think Francisco/Betancourt platoon there for a period. I realize Neuhas was just drafted but you know he's 4years away if signed. Who knows? maybe it works out like the Padres situation(Headley/Gyorko) where Cuthbert plays 3b and Neuhas pushes his way in to the lineup by playing 2b. All hypothetical, just giving reasoning behind every idea tossed out there.

Yes, Pitching is vastly needed but I'd take Adalberto Mondesi if he was offered up too. Top 100 prospect at age 17 at SS. Sure.

The Royals giving up Ventura, Hosmer, Cuthbert for that and I'll quit smoking. There's just no way. I'm not sure the Royals would be willing to move Ventura alone for that package. Not with an expiring contract in Hart and Aoki's another year away.

The Royals giving up Ventura, Hosmer, Cuthbert for that and I'll quit smoking. There's just no way. I'm not sure the Royals would be willing to move Ventura alone for that package. Not with an expiring contract in Hart and Aoki's another year away.

So a 54th rated Prospect is worth Aoki,Morris, and Hart?

Do you understand Aoki's deal has an option pick up but after 2014 he would still be under control on whatever team has him? Aoki would be heading in to Arbitration at that point.

Considering what KC has for replacements in RF, a Cheap and better Aoki should be worth a lot to them over what they have to trot out there. Jeff Francoeur less than .600 OPS under .260OB, and now attempting David Lough 27yr rookie who has spent the last 3+years at AAA carrying under .800OPS.

Next up for them is 30yr old Anthony Seratelli a Utility Player with 69games exp at RF but does carry .870OPS at the AAA level.

Again, why KC traded away Myers when he'd be joining them any day now at this point to fill long term RF need beats me? Two seasons of James Shields.

How will you justify that? By pushing to win today. Aoki helps them in that equation. Royals only have 4 top 100 prospects and you would think Starling/Zimmer aren't available. That leaves Ventura or Mondesi. Mondesi isn't close to making it in the Big Leagues and taking on that project seems far too risky to consider. So, it has to be Ventura.

It's one thing for KC to give up Ventura and taking on say Andre Ethier's contract to play RF for them. It's another for someone like Aoki and his low cost contract to take on. Aoki's value does so much more for KC than just what he accomplishes on the field. It helps KC both ways. They will need a RF for next season anyhow too.

That's my whole reasoning of Perfect trade Partner KC. Their payroll sits at 82mil this season projecting to 87mil next and then approaching 100mil the next two seasons.

That is also more than enough reason to dump Hosmer for Morris. 1st year arb forthcoming.

Royals 8-2 last 10 games only 5 games out of wildcard. They have a bunch of games vs Cleveland coming up before the trade deadline and if 1 of the 2 dominate those series of games I think that team is in the buyer mode.

May have to look at Cleveland's roster to see what their needs are if it isn't KC then likely Cleveland as AL Central Trade Buyers.

I would like to see Melvin get something done with the Royals. I don't see them parting with Hosmer since it would weaken the big league roster even if it would result in gaining Hart(whenever it is he is healthy). I would be willing to send them Gallardo in any offer, if that is what would be needed to get Ventura or Zimmer.

The guy I would want more than any is Mondesi. I think he will be a top ten prospect within the next 12 months and be major league ready in 2015 at the age of 19. He loves the game, works very hard, is coachable, and makes adjustments quickly. I think he is a game changing talent. I am not sure he would be valued higher than Zimmer or Ventura right now, but that is why I would target him now. A Segura/Mondesi middle infield would be amazing to watch.

Packaging Gallardo with Hart/Aoki/Weeks could bring a very nice return of pitching and a high upside middle of the diamond player.

Cuthbert for Aoki would be the deal I dangle. Of top 3b prospects I see and could try to acquire he looks to be one of the better ones.

If KC would take Gallardo, you could be lead to believe in Ventura and Mondesi in return. And again, Gallardo's contract fits with Shields, going for it this year and next.

I really look at KC and their team makeup, and you can make the moves this season or wait and go for it completely next season, but beyond next season, you are looking at them very questionable beyond. They're a team that has had many failed prospects and I think the FO could legitimately say to their fans, "We seen an opportunity to compete for Playoffs and Division, as our fans should know we can't rely on having a "strong farm" as many haven't panned out. We liked what we saw in our current roster and felt Aoki and Gallardo were the missing piece we could acquire not only for the remainder this season but next season as well. We get both a quality top of the lineup bat, and another Front of the Rotation arm"

Again, if the Brewers took Francoeur away, it helps KC in payroll this year compensating for Gallardo and making Gallardo's 2014 and option seem more team friendly. I think they'd part with their higher prospects that aren't going to help the team this season or next... Basically anyone not named Starling and Zimmer.(Which seeing Zimmer's results thus far isn't pretty)

Gallardo's 14 straight shut-out innings combined with his success in previous seasons really does make him a much more viable trade candidate. Sadly I think Melvin & Mark A will hold onto Gallardo, thinking that he will be a key ingredient in "next season's window"
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• 2 weeks later...

KC's moves too make as a GM in the next 2-3 weeks that immediately make them contenders.

1st Trade for Nolasco today before his next start, within 1 week.

Solves their last pitching problem.

Then, Brewers make phone call and say, Weeks+6mil plus Aoki for a trio of prospects. Ventura/Cuthbert/Mondesi.

Equals success for KC! and Brewers future Ha!

Okay, so KC just DFA Francoeur and called up a 2b Johnny Giavotella.

From the looks of this guy's numbers he could be a fit at 2b so that takes another team out of the equation to trade Weeks off to.

It does open the door moreso on trying to sell Aoki to them. Still hoping for a way to get one of Ventura/Mondesi/Cuthbert. 1 of them plus some lower tiered prospect like Chris Dwyer/Kyle Smith/and Miquel Almonte.

Can we just go after Elier Hernandez and call it a day for Aoki? I doubt he's on the trade market but considering Aoki's huge fill-in roll for the Royals he provides they may just do it.

I know we have the 3 OFs. But do either of those 3 profile the upside Hernandez may have? In a year Hernandez could show enough to be the next Oscar Taveras and if that became the case, then it will also be the year the Royals make him a Franchise players not to be dealt in trade.

So, I'd rather try to pry a potential bat away like that when the outlook/promise hasn't been identified fully.

Roache is 21 and not overwhelming thus far in A ball. I mention this because he doesn't look like a guy who is going to move up a ladder before the season is over. So he's then not in AA at 22 til later and his development just may take too long that he arrives at an age of 25/26.

It'd be great if all 3 of our guys make it to the ML level and be successful, but history indicates at least 1 should be a bust. Roache isn't putting up the kind of numbers to indicate a certain ML roster spot is in his future. It's pessimistic but also realistic.

If I can attain a guy who may not be everyone's radar in rankings but in 2 years may be a top 25 prospect vs attaining a player that's more advanced but with less a ceiling, I want the higher upside guy. Let's just say the Royals don't offer any of their top 5 prospect currently. But do give you options at #s 6-15. Meanwhile you see a guy who sits at #20 who the Royals just figure isn't on the Brewers radar to ask in return for Aoki when you instead do ask for that player. It just throws a wrench in the normal thinking.

If we can't get Ventura/Mondesi/Cuthbert for Aoki and are left to pick 2-3 of other prospects that aren't high upside but offer value in numbers. I'd rather take on the Lotto Ticket player who can exceed any and all those other 3 players potentially present.

Side Note: KC sure does sign a number of Latin Players to deals. 6 of their top 20 prospects are Latin Signings. Can we go ahead and tab one of their scouts that are convincing the ownership to sign these players?

I know some think we have good OF depth, but I question the quality of it, so to be honest if we can get a high upside OF in AA or AAA, I'd do the deal. I don't trust any OF in our system except Tyrone Taylor. We could then trade Aoki.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Archived