Kevin Ziomek

Jason Hursh

Buck Farmer

Dillon Overton

My guess:

54: Jake Brentz

72: Carlos Salazar

90: Buck Farmer

#54: Kevin Ziomek, LHP, Vanderbilt or Blake Taylor, LHP, Dana Hills HS (CA)

#72: Tucker Neuhauss, SS/3B, Wharton HS (FL) or Drew Ward, 3B, Leedy HS (OK)

#90: Kyle Crockett, LHP, Virginia or Carlos Salazar, RHP, Kerman HS (CA)

I'd like one of the HS lefties at 54, both Garrett Williams and Blake Taylor fall in that range prospect wise according to both PG and BA. If Hunter Green falls that far I wouldn't be opposed to him either.

Not as big on Rob Kaminsky or Matt Krook, though Kaminsky is fairly polished already, it just doesn't look like his velocity is going to improve much and he pitches 89-92. Taylor doesn't have much projection left either and tops out around 94 but if he could add a tick and work 91-93 I'd be okay with that.

edit. I should say that Hunter Green is my top choice, I just don't think he's going to be there when the Brewers draft. He's 6'4" but only 180 lbs and already peaks at 95, he could easily add a couple more MPH. He'll need mechanical work which scares me some, but the projection is tantalizing.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

What does everyone think of Chad Pinder, number 54 on BA's list? If people think he can be a solid mlb regular it would be nice to plug an advanced college bat into that gaping 3b hole. For higher-ceiling options, I like the aforementioned high school lefthanders as well as Dustin Peterson and Jordan Paroubeck.

As far as predicting what the Brewers will do, any combination of these names would strike me as a depressingly Brewer-like draft:

#54: Michael Lorenzen or Trevor Williams

#72: Carlos Salazar or Cavan Biggio

#90: Buck Farmer or Jan Hernandez

A player to watch for would be Hunter Dozier SS from Stephen F. Austin State (that almost sounds like a made up school). He will probably end up being a 2B as he doesn't have the athleticism to stick at SS but he does have a good arm. He can hit very well for a SS or a 2B but I am not sold on him being able to hit enough to be a regular at 3B. I think his stock will slip enough that he will be around for the Brewers to take him or he will be gone just before the Brewers pick. Another player to look out for is Cody Reed LHP Northwest Mississippi JC. He has a low to mid 90's FB which is where he will stay at. He has some control problems but I believe he can get over that. He projects to be at a best case scenario to be a top of the rotation starter but will probably be more along the lines of a #2 or a #3 with a floor of being a solid contributor in the bullpen.

I'm not real excited about Pinder. I know they use different bats now, but his stats don't scream anything special. Supposedly he's a very good defensive 3B though. I'd rather have a higher upside 3B prospect like Ward, Demeritte, McMahon, or Victor Caratini, but if those guys are gone, the Brewers have gone pitching with their first three picks, and Pinder is still there in the 4th I could go along with that.

How would Salazar be depressing? PG says "power arm up to 96" and other scouting reports say 95-97.

BA has Dozier at #39; he's 6'4", 220, so likely he will move to 3B instead of 2B. He slugged .755 this year with a .482 OBP so I think he can hit just fine for a 3B. I don't think he'll still be on the board at #54. I could definitely get behind Cody Reed with pick #90.

I'll root for an unlikely Phil Ervin drop... Not betting on it though.

Also, hoping we avoid pitchers at the top of the draft... despite our lack of depth. The ROI is just not there historically. Load up later, get bats early.

Community Moderator
A player to watch for would be Hunter Dozier SS from Stephen F. Austin State (that almost sounds like a made up school). He will probably end up being a 2B as he doesn't have the athleticism to stick at SS but he does have a good arm. He can hit very well for a SS or a 2B but I am not sold on him being able to hit enough to be a regular at 3B. I think his stock will slip enough that he will be around for the Brewers to take him or he will be gone just before the Brewers pick.

Nate, apparently the Royals front office liked him also. :)

Dozier went with the #8 pick, first big surprise of the draft.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

A player to watch for would be Hunter Dozier SS from Stephen F. Austin State (that almost sounds like a made up school). He will probably end up being a 2B as he doesn't have the athleticism to stick at SS but he does have a good arm. He can hit very well for a SS or a 2B but I am not sold on him being able to hit enough to be a regular at 3B. I think his stock will slip enough that he will be around for the Brewers to take him or he will be gone just before the Brewers pick.

Nate, apparently the Royals front office liked him also. :)

Dozier went with the #8 pick, first big surprise of the draft.

That was an extreme reach by the Royals and I am not sure why they took him there.

#54: Kevin Ziomek, LHP, Vanderbilt or Blake Taylor, LHP, Dana Hills HS (CA)

#72: Tucker Neuhauss, SS/3B, Wharton HS (FL) or Drew Ward, 3B, Leedy HS (OK)

#90: Kyle Crockett, LHP, Virginia or Carlos Salazar, RHP, Kerman HS (CA)

Good job hitting their 2nd pick on the head

A player to watch for would be Hunter Dozier SS from Stephen F. Austin State (that almost sounds like a made up school). He will probably end up being a 2B as he doesn't have the athleticism to stick at SS but he does have a good arm. He can hit very well for a SS or a 2B but I am not sold on him being able to hit enough to be a regular at 3B. I think his stock will slip enough that he will be around for the Brewers to take him or he will be gone just before the Brewers pick. Another player to look out for is Cody Reed LHP Northwest Mississippi JC. He has a low to mid 90's FB which is where he will stay at. He has some control problems but I believe he can get over that. He projects to be at a best case scenario to be a top of the rotation starter but will probably be more along the lines of a #2 or a #3 with a floor of being a solid contributor in the bullpen.

Imagine Royals picked him...9th was it?

Archived