Brewer Fanatic

Printing your own 8x10's

brwrsfan

So I'm getting Peralta's autograph on Saturday, went to buy an 8x10 from the store...hated the selection. Also hated that they are charging $10 for one...that seems excessive for an unsigned 8x10 photo.

So it got me to thinking, can I create my own? I know Walgreens can easily print 8x10's for three bucks or so, but I'm not sure what the quality will look like. Also seems like online pictures are always much cooler to look at that anything the store ever has. Anyone ever made their own, and if so, any hints about it? Specifics on the image that I need (size or resolution for example?). Thanks.

I take my own photos at T-Rats games, get 8x10's made at Wal Mart for $3, then get them signed. The quality is great. No different than any pre made photos out there.Means a lot more to me to have a photo that I took than to buy them from someone else.

Problem is, a lot of the players ask for a copy (which I'm assuming is a compliment)...lol I feel guilty not getting them one if they ask since they do take the time to sign for anyone who wants them to sign something.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Two things to add to the discussion:

1. If you have a picture from the internet printed at Walgreens (or anywhere else for that matter), you are technically infringing the copyright of the owner of the picture (even if you can view it for free on the internet, you still can't make a copy without the owner's permission). If you have professional quality pictures printed at a place like Walgreens, they may ask you to sign something saying that they're your pictures and that you own the copyright.

2. I am guessing that players asking for copies of 8x10's is far more common at the minor league level... I have been asked maybe once by a major leaguer (Jeff Suppan) if he could have a copy. And even then he wasn't asking me for a copy, he just wanted to know where he got it so that he could get some for one of his family members. Minor leaguers though will not see their own photos/merchandise out there, so they will be more likely to want that kind of stuff to give to family/friends.

If you have time use adorama (adoramapix.com). Great quality- different papers/finishes (glossy, metallic, lustre, etc.). Shipping take a week or so to get to you but the quality is great.

"Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is." - Bob Feller

Follow me @BrewerMoose

I guess I hadn't thought about copyright laws. Probably not a good idea then. The adoramapix site looks useful, though I don't have time for it in this instance.

I do find the laws interesting....pictures are readily available on the internet, I can make it my wallpaper, I can forward it to anyone I want but if I go to print it, that violates the laws. Even more interesting is that there are ways to prevent it, have the photographer put a logo in the corner or put something in the middle of the picture that can only be removed if you purchase it, those types of things.

For me Walgreens is no longer an option, they just cancel the order if it is something off of the internet. Walmart works some of the time depending on the clerk checking you out. Adorama is a great option as well. But I get confused on the copyright law because it is my understanding that if you are not using the reprint for commercial use and only for personal it is legal.

For me Walgreens is no longer an option, they just cancel the order if it is something off of the internet. Walmart works some of the time depending on the clerk checking you out. Adorama is a great option as well. But I get confused on the copyright law because it is my understanding that if you are not using the reprint for commercial use and only for personal it is legal.

This is one of the most misunderstood topics regarding copyrights. Certain things can qualify as "fair use," and it certainly helps your case if you're not using the item commercially. However, there are four factors that a court would weigh in determining whether you can use the fair use defense. You can find them at http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html (you can also find plenty more details just by googling "fair use").

Not being a commercial use certainly helps your case, but trying to make a copy of the entire picture in order to avoid buying it does not. The gray area of course is if the person posting the picture has no intention of selling it and doesn't care if you take it, but hasn't given you clear permission to use the picture. That's where you're "taking a chance" and is why stores will not print your pictures or will make you sign a form. I say "taking a chance" in quotes because probably the worst that will happen to you is that the store won't print your picture. Chances are no one will find out and/or sue you over making a couple copies of pictures off the internet.

The long and short of it is that there is no black and white answer for many copyright infringement cases, and the only way to really find out is to get sued and have a court decide if you're infringing the copyright.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, I have never attended law school, and this is not legal advice.

As a side note, my wife and I recently bought a fairly expensive camera that I had planned to take pictures with and then get 8x10's printed of some players. Are you saying that Walgreens would probably cancel my order if the photos look "too good"? I'm just wondering how they determine if something is off the internet. The times I have been questioned in the past, it has been because they look to be high-quality, but I just had to sign a form and they let me print the pictures we had taken.

I asked a manager at Walgreens and he was pretty upfront. He said they are supposed to ask you for a release form if it appears to be a professional photo, but that it's at the employee's discretion and a lot of them are high school kids that almost never do.

If they do ask you for one, you have to have a release form stating it's ok to print it off. Not sure how it works with your own photos, I'd imagine that would be easy enough to prove?

I take my own photos at T-Rats games, get 8x10's made at Wal Mart for $3, then get them signed. The quality is great. No different than any pre made photos out there.Means a lot more to me to have a photo that I took than to buy them from someone else.

Problem is, a lot of the players ask for a copy (which I'm assuming is a compliment)...lol I feel guilty not getting them one if they ask since they do take the time to sign for anyone who wants them to sign something.

This same thing happened to me a lot when I lived in AZ and would go to ST. Some days I would take pics at the beginning of practices, run them over to the Walgreens on the corner, and have them signed by the time I left for the day. They were very good about turning them over for me. I had a pic of Braun and Hart that I had both of them sign at the same time as they were standing by each other. Corey liked it and said if he would could get a copy, he would make it worth my while. The next day I brought him one and he gave me the batting gloves out of his back pocket. Pretty cool.

Turbo, were you at the T Rats Monday? My dad won the "front row seats" in 113 and there was a guy there who seemed to take a lot of pics and offered some next to the people I was sitting by. Definitely a host family.... Just curious.

Archived