Brewer Fanatic

Estrada to DL....Thornburg promoted to start

markedman5
Djoctagon(e),

My guess is simple cost. I've been told by players that per the CBA, players get 1st class tickets. To call up a position player, send him down, and recall a pitcher in 4 days requires 3 first class tickets purchased at the worst possible time. While it sounds cheap, saving $4-5k by skipping the position player is more cost-effective as a business. Plus it's all a moot point with Thornburg already pitching

i've also speculated that a player called up not to report wouldn't be drawing a major league salary for those few days, which per this, is more than $2600 a day. great opportunity for the position player to make some quick cash over a few days' time, but to the disappointment of the starting pitcher waiting in the wings.

The MLB min wage is $490,000 for 2013. I assume that means they are paid $3024.69 per game (490,000/162) on the roster and not for team off days. But maybe they have some way of paying the $490,000 over all the days of the MLB calendar and players do get paid for team offdays.

Gorzo at least has success as a starter in the majors.. he'll probably only go 4 innings though

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

We called up a starter for a starter that went on the DL and we're going to use a reliever who hasn't thrown more than 2 innings or 30 pitches this year as the starter instead. Brilliant.

• 4 weeks later...
thornburg brought back up, Gindl back to AAA

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Let's play name the Brewers' starting pitchers without looking it up...All eleven of them!

(The whole list with Thornburg is Gallardo, Lohse, Hand, Peralta, Estrada, Gorzellany, Hellweg, Burgos, Figaro, Fiers, Thornburg). Th

Archived