Brewer Fanatic

Estrada to DL....Thornburg promoted to start

markedman5

Good. I'm glad Thornburg is called up. He has experience from last season. He's on the 40man. Let the others continue maturing. This is just what teams out of the Playoff picture do. It's lousy Estrada has to go on the DL. But, maybe some rest and time away helps him perform when he returns, more so than missing just 1 start and going out there.

Maybe Marcum's Hamstring injury is in the back of the FO head and they just jumped to sit him. You may be getting the begginning looks of Thornburg as spot starter/long reliever while a RP is being worked over in trade on our current roster.

Thornburg? Really? There isn't anyone else on the 40 man that could come up for a spot start or two? What about Nelson?

nelson is not on the 40-man. depending on how you look at it, three-fifths or four-fifths of the brewers' anticipated rotation at the beginning of spring training is on the disabled list right now (burgos, estrada, narveson, rogers).

Thornburg has been throwing better lately, hasn't he? I seem to recall he's been racking up the k's, but giving up runs later in the outings. Perhaps the scouting reports say he's been victimized by bad luck.

if they're holding him until saturday, what's the harm in calling up a position player instead of thornburg? the team would get three games with a six-man bench, send him back before saturday's game, and recall thornburg. granted, that position player couldn't be recalled again for 10 days (unless another position player went on the disabled list), but is that a huge concern?

i've never understood why a team calls up a starting pitcher only to have him sit for one to four games waiting to play.

i've never understood why a team calls up a starting pitcher only to have him sit for one to four games waiting to play.

Increased amount of time going over video with the MLB team pitching coach. Throwing bullpens under the watchful eye of the pitching coach & bullpen coach. Time to get acclimated

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Increased amount of time going over video with the MLB team pitching coach. Throwing bullpens under the watchful eye of the pitching coach & bullpen coach. Time to get acclimated

can't they achieve that by calling up the player not to report? he can work out with the team pre-game and post-game, can't he?

Thornburg has been throwing better lately, hasn't he? I seem to recall he's been racking up the k's, but giving up runs later in the outings. Perhaps the scouting reports say he's been victimized by bad luck.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=592804

He simply hasn't been very good so far. Deepest he's gone in any of his 12 starts so far is 5.2 IP, & he's only gone more than 5.0 one other time.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=592804

He simply hasn't been very good so far. Deepest he's gone in any of his 12 starts so far is 5.2 IP, & he's only gone more than 5.0 one other time.

can any of that be because of the team on the field behind him?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

if they're holding him until saturday, what's the harm in calling up a position player instead of thornburg? the team would get three games with a six-man bench, send him back before saturday's game, and recall thornburg. granted, that position player couldn't be recalled again for 10 days (unless another position player went on the disabled list), but is that a huge concern?

In this case, in case of another short start prior to Saturday. Figaro is starting on Friday - the Brewers will be lucky if he can go five innings, and it also means their usual long man (Figaro) isn't available on Thursday.

Djoctagon,

My guess is simple cost. I've been told by players that per the CBA, players get 1st class tickets. To call up a position player, send him down, and recall a pitcher in 4 days requires 3 first class tickets purchased at the worst possible time. While it sounds cheap, saving $4-5k by skipping the position player is more cost-effective as a business. Plus it's all a moot point with Thornburg already pitching

So Thornburg pitches in relief today, and I assume that he will not be available to start now. That must mean that they brought him up for relief over the next couple of days and will be starting someone else this weekend?

Djoctagon(e),

My guess is simple cost. I've been told by players that per the CBA, players get 1st class tickets. To call up a position player, send him down, and recall a pitcher in 4 days requires 3 first class tickets purchased at the worst possible time. While it sounds cheap, saving $4-5k by skipping the position player is more cost-effective as a business. Plus it's all a moot point with Thornburg already pitching

i've also speculated that a player called up not to report wouldn't be drawing a major league salary for those few days, which per this, is more than $2600 a day. great opportunity for the position player to make some quick cash over a few days' time, but to the disappointment of the starting pitcher waiting in the wings.

Archived