Brewer Fanatic

Perfect trading partner - Dodgers?

"The Dodgers are determined to find an upgrade at third base and their pitching over the next five weeks, tweets JIm Bowden of ESPN.com. The Dodgers have given Juan Uribe a great deal of time in the hot corner this season and so far he has responded with his best offensive season in a while, hitting .268/.356/.399 over 50 games."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/06/nl-west-notes-giants-dodgers-gonzalez-rockies.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+Rumors%29

They want Gallardo and Ramirez and clear that salary, I could think of a package surrounding Zach Lee and Joc Peterson and another. It would clear a TON of salary.

Trying to work this out. Taking on both Gallardo and ARam is 27mil additional payroll 2014/2015. For a team already pushing 200mil in payroll next season. They have Billingsley on contract still next season. Do the Brewers take Billingsley essentially swapping payroll obligations but then get a higher return with the Dodgers like you suggest Skeets, Lee And Pederson and probably asking for Reed with Stripling? Would probably have to include KRod/Axford/Henderson...one of them to net the four but still if you acquire Billingsley (when he returns from surgery) you at least have a veteran if you go ahead and trade Lohse. And then with Billingsley if he's worth his option pick it up, if not, depending on how he pitches you never know in trade next year's deadline. I just can't imagine Dodgers putting themselves in the 230mil if not more in payroll for both this season, and next...And that's before Kershaw's massive deal.

I don't see Gallardo as a salary dump guy. At least I hope not, this isn't the Selig-Preib era Brewers. I don't see the Dodgers as a match considering the prospects that they have to offer. Going further, why would the Brewers want to take on Billingsley's horrible contract?

It would be all about prospects Rock. 27mil for ARam and Gallardo each of the next 2 seasons. Dodgers have Kershaw,Grienke,Ryu,Beckett and Gallardo in this case under contract for next season add Billingsley that's 6 but with Magill making it 7. Offer to take on Billingsley for an added top prospect in their farm. Billingsley isn't an awful pitcher, more a guy like Gallardo who projected better only he reached #3 at best while Gallardo reached #2 status.

It's not about Gallardo being a salary dump guy, and that's the point of willing to take Billingsley on. 12mil next season almost like Gallardo. But if LA is serious about winning, 11mil Gallardo is a lot better than 12mil Billingsley. Brewers just take Billingsley on as a compromise being a losing team likely next season as finishing out his contract.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe you can trade a guy on the DL. Billingsley is on the 60-day; not sure if a guy on the 60 can be a PTBNL.

If the Dodgers want to balance salaries I'd much rather take Lilly and Uribe as their contracts are up at the end of the year. Billingsley is only owed $15M after this year ($12M for 2014 and $3M buyout of 2015) so that wouldn't be the worst thing, if the prognosis on his shoulder is good and the Dodgers send at least $3M to cover his buyout.

If the Dodgers take Lohse instead of Gallardo, send back enough young pitching, and the Brewers can trade Aoki for one of the Red Sox 3B prospects I might be persuaded to buy low on Ethier. His contract scares me and he's signed through age 35, but he's consistently put up a >.800 OPS in a pitcher's park and adds LH power and balance to a RH-heavy lineup; put him in Miller Park and I think his SLG goes up significantly. An OF of Braun, Gomez, and Ethier might be the best the Brewers have ever had.

I didn't know you couldn't trade guys on the DL.

I'm thinking that with the Dodger's payroll obligations already being a 5man rotation next season, that the idea of Gallardo/Lohse wouldn't appease them. Why carry a #5 on your team making over 10mil/season? So the Ricky Nolasco trade rumors seem like their most logical Pitcher get.

Still leaves the Brewers with Aramis and any of our RPs for them to covet. But can they net any of their big 4? And that's after what they give up for Nolasco who imo should not net any of their big 4...Lee/Pederon/Seager/ and Reed.

I love how it's being stated the Marlins are fine with picking up Nolasco's 6mil owed for a better prospect. For a team like the Dodgers, I'd be laughing that idea off, what do they care about 6mil more this season?

It is though something that maybe the Padres or Orioles in the world may take up on offer so the Dodgers could lose out.

I'd love to hear Monty or TheCrew chime in in what kind of prospects they'd offer for ARam from the Dodgers and lets say KRod added in the deal.

I'd love to hear Monty or TheCrew chime in in what kind of prospects they'd offer for ARam from the Dodgers and lets say KRod added in the deal.

The problem with the Dodgers is that they blew out both of their best pitching prospects last season. Allen Webster is now with Boston and Nathan Eovaldi with the Marlins, I would have loved either of those guys, though Eovaldi would have been my first choice.

Looking at their system and a Ramirez/K-Rod package... well the a fore mentioned Zach Lee/Ross Stripling and Corey Seager, would be my choice. Neither pitcher is a top of the rotation starter today, but there's potential for Lee and rotation full of 3s is better than what we have now.

Here's the scouting reporting on Stripling from this winter:

In his pro debut, Stripling impressed the Dodgers both with his stuff and his feel for using it. His fastball sat at 92-93 mph with run and sink last summer at Rookie-level Ogden. His velocity picked up from the 88-91 mph he showed in college, and Los Angeles believes there's more in there if can incorporate his lower half better in his delivery. Stripling's best pitch is a 12-to-6 curveball with plus potential, and he also has a fading changeup. The Dodgers see Stripling as a gutsy competitor. He's extremely athletic, has a clean arm action and commands the ball to both sides of the plate.

Stripling's 2013:

[pre]Year Age Tm Lg Lev ERA IP BB SO WHIP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB

2013 23 2 Teams 2 Lgs AA-A+ 2.85 75.2 17 77 1.137 8.2 0.4 2.0 9.2 4.53

2013 23 RanchoCucamonga CALL A+ 2.94 33.2 11 34 1.040 6.4 0.3 2.9 9.1 3.09

2013 23 Chattanooga SOUL AA 2.79 42.0 6 43 1.214 9.6 0.4 1.3 9.2 7.17

2 Seasons 2.33 112.0 23 114 1.054 7.6 0.2 1.8 9.2 4.96[/pre]

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table

Generated 6/27/2013.

Here's the scouting report on Seager:

Seager has an advanced bat and easily transitioned to pro ball in his debut. He has a clean lefty swing, with good direction to the ball and the ability to keep the bat head in the hitting zone a long time. He ropes line drives to all fields, and he generates enough backspin and loft to hit for above-average power down the road. Seager exudes polish for his age and shows a natural ability to slow the game down, both at the plate and in the field. He already has a physical frame and should get stronger in time. He's an average runner who doesn't have great range at shortstop, though he makes up for it with first-step quickness and his feel for positioning. He has soft hands and the arm to stay on the left side of the infield.

Here's Seager's career thus far:

[pre]Year Age Tm Lg Lev Aff G PA AB 2B 3B HR SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

2012 18 Ogden PION Rk LAD 46 202 175 9 2 8 8 2 21 33 .309 .383 .520 .903

2013 19 GreatLakes MIDW A LAD 43 175 159 6 3 7 7 2 13 36 .296 .354 .503 .857

2 Seasons 89 377 334 15 5 15 15 4 34 69 .302 .370 .512 .882[/pre]

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table

Generated 6/27/2013.

However my question would be why the Dodgers would make more trades as they are in last place? Last year they came out and ran their mouths and made some bad trades that haven't really helped move them forward. Would they really do it again? A healthy Ramirez would solidify 3B for them and their bullpen is a mess, so if they are willing to deal I'd actually send enough relievers along to get all 3 players instead of just one of Lee or Stripling. I just don't see them being overly aggressive again.

I sure would love to suddenly have a couple of legit 3B in Neuhaus (AZ) and I would move Seager (WI) there as well after having nothing at 3B prior to the season and of course adding a couple of more big arms in the upper minors. I just have trouble believing the Dodgers would do it.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

However my question would be why the Dodgers would make more trades as they are in last place? Last year they came out and ran their mouths and made some bad trades that haven't really helped move them forward. Would they really do it again? A healthy Ramirez would solidify 3B for them and their bullpen is a mess, so if they are willing to deal I'd actually send enough relievers along to get all 3 players instead of just one of Lee or Stripling. I just don't see them being overly aggressive again.

I sure would love to suddenly have a couple of legit 3B in Neuhaus (AZ) and I would move Seager (WI) there as well after having nothing at 3B prior to the season and of course adding a couple of more big arms in the upper minors. I just have trouble believing the Dodgers would do it.

The thing with the Dodgers it is like they are acting like a hyper active Yankees team in the early 2000's that was being ran by George. The Dodgers are really trying to take fans back that they lost from the Angels. I wouldn't be surprised if they went all out to get someone like Ramirez even if they are in last place right now. The Brewers could really take advantage of the NL West right now by dealing Gallardo to the Giants or Padres and then also dealing Ramirez and relievers to the Dodgers. I would also kick in $4m and half of what he is owed this year just to get a second or third prospect from the Dodgers. I don't believe the Dodgers ownership believes they are out of the race and it looks as though they are starting to get healthy again and their offense looks to be coming back to life again. The Dodgers already have 3 good pitchers in their rotation which to their ownership would make them believe someone like Lee would be expendable if it means making the playoffs this year. I have this feeling that the Dodgers are not done dealing and are looking to be like the Yankees in the early and mid 2000's but a more aggressive version and not as smart.

Crew sitting in last place is only relative to how many games behind 1st you are. At the moment it looks like LA will be sitting 6games out of 1st in their division and winners of what would be 6 straight who now have Puig, a return of Kemp, a healthy Grienke, a healthy Hanley Ramirez players that a month ago weren't contributing to the losses LA had accumulated.

With Kershaw/Grienke/Ryu top of the rotation they are better than SF/SD/and Colorado there. So they easily can produce some sweeps that are 3games gained in quick jump in the division.

The only team that stands out to me as keeping LA from actually winning the West is Arizona. Or themselves. So not only are and rightly should be buyers but their strong buyers to win it all now once they buy at all. They add Nolasco and before the Deadline ARam/our RP we package that's a Kershaw/Grienke/Ryu/Nolasco/#5 rotation with

Crawford/Puig/Kemp/Gonzalez/HanRam/ARam 6 in the lineup. I don't see them as being out of it by any means and potentially stand as the favorites at the moment.

The dodgers are buying now to salvage some of their fan base and prepare for next year. everyone they seem to be targeting is under contract next year.

Edit- I just saw that they are going hard for nolasco. That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Hell I'd definitely do it, I wanted to ship Ramirez their way last season. Would Melvin realistically do it without a legit 3B though? The whole "creating a hole" theory that he's repeatedly said he doesn't see the sense in?

The internal options would be Green/Francisco until one of Seager/Neuhaus is ready? I'd be okay with that to go after pitching and pickup another position player of need.

They could sign a stop gap 3B for a couple of years as well. Here's the potential 3B FA list for 2014 from Cots. Generally I'm okay signing value position players in FA, but not middling starting pitchers.

(* – player whose current contract includes 2014 option.)

Wilson Betemit *

Eric Chavez

Mark DeRosa

Mike Fontenot

Jerry Hairston Jr.

Brandon Inge

Placido Polanco

Mark Reynolds

Juan Uribe

Kevin Youkilis

Michael Young

Betemit would probably be the guy I would target assuming a Ramirez trade, I can't see Baltimore allowing Betemit's option to vest with Machado killing it at 3B and Hardy signed through next year. They also have Schoop who will be ready to take over for Hardy in 2015, another SS behind him in Marin. If Betemit could be a league average hitter for a 2 years on a reasonable FA contract I'd be interested.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

They could sign a stop gap 3B for a couple of years as well. Here's the potential 3B FA list for 2014 from Cots. Generally I'm okay signing value position players in FA, but not middling starting pitchers.

(* – player whose current contract includes 2014 option.)

Wilson Betemit *

Eric Chavez

Mark DeRosa

Mike Fontenot

Jerry Hairston Jr.

Brandon Inge

Placido Polanco

Mark Reynolds

Juan Uribe

Kevin Youkilis

Michael Young

Betemit would probably be the guy I would target assuming a Ramirez trade, I can't see Baltimore allowing Betemit's option to vest with Machado killing it at 3B and Hardy signed through next year. They also have Schoop who will be ready to take over for Hardy in 2015, another SS behind him in Marin. If Betemit could be a league average hitter for a 2 years on a reasonable FA contract I'd be interested.

I would prefer Hairston Jr over Betemit but I wouldn't complain all that much if Betemit would be the choice at 3B. Mark Reynolds maybe an option at 1B if he would be willing to do another 1 year deal but I wouldn't mind him on a 2 or 3-year deal where the 3rd is a team option. Wanted to do that this year for insurance on Hart.

I would prefer Hairston Jr

There's no way I'm interested in signing any 38 year old player to a multi-year contract.

Stripling makes best start for Lookouts

- Plato

- Plato

I would prefer Hairston Jr

There's no way I'm interested in signing any 38 year old player to a multi-year contract.

Would prefer a 1-year deal over a multiple for him but it could be all for nothing if the Brewers somehow were able to get Davidson from the Dbacks as that would fill the 3B hole if Ramirez would be traded.

I'd roll with Francisco and Bianchi at 3b while whomever we try to acquire in trade(3b) matures. The three I'm interested in are Seager,Davidson, and Cuthbert with Flores(offseason with Mets) or Cecchini(not realistic) being the other two.

I think the team could manage a season at 3b with Francisco/Bianchi/Green and of course(Blue) Team Favorite Yuni (Blue) with ARam leaving to LAD in trade.

I do understand the notion that Pederson doesn't fit the club well on the depth charts, but he is a better than the rest OF to plug in to the lineup almost right away vs. our AAAA guys. I'd take Pederson/Stripling(Have you seen the K/BB #?) for ARam and KRod.

You could always turn Pederson in the offseason say on to the Mets(they want an OF) for a SP or Flores let's say at 3b. So, while the move may not make sense immediately, when that move occured it would.

It would be awesome to undercut LAD's likely sell off of Ethier to the Mets, by acquiring Pederson and then flipping him to the Mets for the Prospect we need but LAD didn't have. Think Syndergaard for Pederson? I'm sure that deal requires something more from Milwaukee but no need to hesitate in making it happen with something a little more.

I hope in trade we acquire the better talent vs. team need. I mean yes we need SP but if our trade partner can't offer it, but can offer a talented prospect, we should look to acquire the best talent and not a couple so-so hoping one pans out since they fill a need vs. the guaranteed ML prospect.

Some type of Gallardo, K Rod and Aram for Lee, Seager, and Pederson deal would be interesting.

Pederson has a high ceiling and I see no need to flip him. Roll with a stud outfield of Braunie, Gomie, and Pederson.

We would have to wait on Seager and he is extremely young too, so there is a chance he won't pan out.

Lee's ceiling may also be a question.

I like the possibilities with the Dodgers, but honestly, my first choice would be a deal with the D backs for Yo involving Davidson and Skaggs.

I like the possibilities with the Dodgers, but honestly, my first choice would be a deal with the D backs for Yo involving Davidson and Skaggs.

I posted a quote from MLBTR about the Cubs having talks about Samardzija with the DBacks and they mentioned Skaggs and Bradley....Apparently the phone was hung up on and the talks ceased.

Arizona isn't willing to trade those 2. And I don't blame them. Skaggs can help the team today. In fact they may have him in their plans for this season, but by keeping him in AAA they can limit his innings and potentially get him to pitch in September And October.

Bradley likely is in the same fold only he's not up/in AAA again for innings pitch limits. The way the hype is on Bradley, it's likely not that he's not ready to pitch vs. ML hitters, it's just his buildup to make it through the 162 game season he's not ready for. The kid in their view is likely the best arm they have to start Today. He's just not ready to go through the workload. Next season though? who knows?

The way to look at this is when does Miami shut down Jose Fernandez. Once he's shut down on the year, it probably gives a great idea as to how soon Bradley would be shut down if he was pitching on the team today.

I don't want the Dodgers to trade for Yovani. But they can trade for ARam or Lohse. Or Weeks. I'd rather a team with higher upside pitching trade for Yovani like San Diego, Toronto(Yo no trade list sadly), Royals, and Giants.

Community Moderator

I posted a quote from MLBTR about the Cubs having talks about Samardzija with the DBacks and they mentioned Skaggs and Bradley....Apparently the phone was hung up on and the talks ceased.

Arizona isn't willing to trade those 2. And I don't blame them. Skaggs can help the team today. In fact they may have him in their plans for this season, but by keeping him in AAA they can limit his innings and potentially get him to pitch in September And October.

While I am sure Arizona would not trade Archie Bradley, a potential future Ace, I don't think the same can be said of Skaggs. Skaggs seems to be a potential trade candidate. If they can use him in a trade to significantly upgrade their current roster immediately, I think they would consider it. Especially if they would be getting back 2.5 years of starting pitching from a player the caliber of Gallardo.

EDIT: I don't think it is likely the D-Backs would trade Skaggs for Gallardo without possibly getting more out of the deal, I just don't think Skaggs is completely untouchable in the same way as Bradley.

Bradley likely is in the same fold only he's not up/in AAA again for innings pitch limits. The way the hype is on Bradley, it's likely not that he's not ready to pitch vs. ML hitters, it's just his buildup to make it through the 162 game season he's not ready for. The kid in their view is likely the best arm they have to start Today. He's just not ready to go through the workload. Next season though? who knows?

The way to look at this is when does Miami shut down Jose Fernandez. Once he's shut down on the year, it probably gives a great idea as to how soon Bradley would be shut down if he was pitching on the team today.

I don't think the Marlins management of Jose Fernandez innings has any correlation with how the D'backs would manage Archie Bradley if he was pitching at the MLB level. It seems pitching development and innings management varies significantly from team-to-team.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Ken Rosenthal or Olney said that Arizona would deal Skaggs in the right deal. Also, one of those sources said that Arizona is said to covet Gallardo because (1) of his Mexican heritage which will be marketable in Arizona, and (2) he is under team control for a couple of seasons, i.e., he is not a one year rental. So, while Gallardo is not as talented as Greinke, when factoring in the package he can command, keep these factors in mind.

Brewcrew80,

I heard that also about the Cubs asking price and Arizona hanging up. However, that doesn't in my opinion mean they wont trade both of the for Gallardo, but rather just Samardzija. The Brewers since they are really in selling mode could without question add a player or two to Gallardo to potentially get both of the Arizona prospects. You just never know, so try to keep an open mind.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Brewcrew80,

I heard that also about the Cubs asking price and Arizona hanging up. However, that doesn't in my opinion mean they wont trade both of the for Gallardo, but rather just Samardzija. The Brewers since they are really in selling mode could without question add a player or two to Gallardo to potentially get both of the Arizona prospects. You just never know, so try to keep an open mind.

I guess, I just look at that as being I'd take Samardzija over Gallardo today and the next 2years. If that is how Arz. feels about him, then I'd just my feelings toward Gallardo/Samardzija and figure Gallardo is worth less than what Samardzija can command in trade which doesn't include Skaggs/Bradley.

If you follow my posts, you know I keep an open and active mind towards everything, tossing as many scenarios I can in to the mix.

You mention since the Brewers are in selling mode it's a leg up on the situation, but the Cubs are just as much in the selling mode and can do the same.

There's a report the DBacks are shopping/showing interest in an OF as well, so yeah, you could throw Aoki in to the mix maybe snagging one of those prized two along with Davidson and a few others.

Seriously Melvin needs to his phone ringing the Dodgers every possible minute possible right now.

Dodgers are 4games back in their division. It won't be long til they lead it. And that first trade the Dodgers make may end up being their last one.

They need to be selling Lohse/ARam/ and Weeks hard to them in hopes of getting one if not 2 of the quartet of Lee,Pederson,Seager, and Reed.

You can't ask for a better club to trade with when it comes to dumping contracts that we don't need to possess anymore. Especially at their positions. Need a 2b/SP/and 3b. Throw in both KRod/Axford if it means convincing them to taking any of the 3 and acquiring 2 of their top 4prospects.

They need to be selling Lohse/ARam/ and Weeks hard to them in hopes of getting one if not 2 of the quartet of Lee,Pederson,Seager, and Reed.

You can't ask for a better club to trade with when it comes to dumping contracts that we don't need to possess anymore. Especially at their positions. Need a 2b/SP/and 3b. Throw in both KRod/Axford if it means convincing them to taking any of the 3 and acquiring 2 of their top 4prospects.

I have no idea how good the prospects you list are, but if we are able to get rid of Lohse, ARam, and Weeks in one tranx, without picking up salary - I really don't know how much positive value there is. I would assume we would kick in a reliever to get anyone of consequence. Even if the Dodgers don't care about spending, they know the Brewers (and pretty much everyone else) have to, hence they can negotiate with the leverage. I assume the Brewers would probably pick up some of ARam's contract.

The reason that trades haven't happened yet is not because the sellers aren't trying to sell, it's because the buyers aren't ready to buy yet. Nothing ever happens until at least the All-Star break. The Sabathia trade didn't happen until the All-Star break and that was considered an early trade; usually it's mid-July when things start happening. Buyers don't buy before mid-July because they aren't sure what their needs are and if they can contend; they may think one thing but an injury to a key player or two in June or early July may change that. A team isn't going to mortgage their future in June to suddenly have a couple of key players get injured in July and now their playoff chances go down the drain and they've lost their prospects.

Have patience people, don't get your undies in a bundle because nothing has happened yet. Weeks, A-Ram, and Lohse will very likely clear waivers too, allowing them to be traded in August.

Archived