Brewer Fanatic

UPDATED--Baseball Prospectus Ballpark Event at Miller Park Saturday May 9th vs Cubs. Tickets on sale now! Link on reply #71.

The past few years Baseball Prospectus has been doing these Ball Park events at various stadiums throughout the league. Click this link to see what it all entails:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=19546

Seems like it would be a lot of fun and a neat experience. So I emailed BP last week to ask why there has not been one for Milwaukee at Miller Park yet. I was told basically, there were two reasons. First, they do not have any writers based in our area so they have to pay for flights and second it is harder to get people to go to the events in smaller markets. They normally need to sell 50 tickets and in Tampa Bay, Houston and Minnesota (event was CANCELED) they sold 22, 35 and ZERO respectively. I told Joe, the President of BP that I think we could easily get at least 50 people to want to purchase tickets to an event like this because while we are a small market, we have a very passionate and tuned in fan base.

He said if I gauged the interest of an event and could pretty much guarantee 50 people he would try hard to get an event scheduled at Miller Park. So Brewerfan.net, is there interest in something like this? Have no idea on a date or even if it will for sure happen, but price would be around $50-$60 apiece and you get what is all listed in the link above. Let me know, I found about 15 folks on twitter already who would like to attend if it happens.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright, that is one. Anyone else? I don't need a guarantee. I just want to check interest. I am a bit surprised that only one person so far has said they would go. I know it depends on the date, but assuming the date works for you would you be interested?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Community Moderator

Count me in. I had given up hope on a BP event taking place at MP, so kudos to you for doing something about it!

Edit: I would purchase a couple of tickets. I hope this post generates some interest, these events seems to provide an opportunity to have an honest/quality conversation with front office staff and a chance to interact with some of BP's stellar staff.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Pure speculation, but I see the Brewers under Melvin taking more of a scouting approach to analyzing talent and the BP folks taking an analytics approach. I wonder if the Brewers would even welcome such an event that could/would subject them to criticism.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
You may want to touch base with JP Breen on Twitter. He has a healthy following, is a Brewer fan, and is a Fangraphs contributor.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Pure speculation, but I see the Brewers under Melvin taking more of a scouting approach to analyzing talent and the BP folks taking an analytics approach. I wonder if the Brewers would even welcome such an event that could/would subject them to criticism.

I asked Joe this morning to see if the Brewers would even welcome it, have not heard back yet. However, I think they might. BP is not just about analytics, they are also heavily into the scouting so I think regardless of what the Brewers are more into, it would be fine.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I would be in if they could deliver on their end but like Jim H said I don't know if the Brewers even would want one. Since the season already started would we be looking at the 2014 season?

I guess it could still be this season. Depends on when I get back to Joe with a number around 50, otherwise in 2014 yes.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Sent Joe at BP another email last night and told him I had around 30 people that date pending, would purchase tickets. He said that was great so he was going to go ahead and look at dates and try to get something set! Should be a Saturday or Sunday in August or September this season. Once I hear more I will let you all know.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Community Moderator

This is really awesome, excellent job BrewCrewForever!

Once a date is set, we would potentially be able to advertise this with our social media accounts also. If there is a limited number of tickets, we would just want to make sure that BF.net members are given priority before word gets out to the masses.

Archived