Brewer Fanatic

Scooter Gennett gets called up to MLB

Invader3K

Most of the posters here are also wise enough to know that Scooter isn't going to draw fans to the ball park. They also know that the chances of him being a significant player on a winning Brewers team is pretty low...not non existent, just low.

That's not true, I think the posters with the most experience on here would be able to tab him as not a starter almost immediately. Nobody on here is an actual scout, but if you're a fan or speculator, shouldn't you be making logical guesses on these guys? If he somehow carves out an Eckstein or Counsell career, more power to him, but that is such a tough thing to do.

I don't think the most experienced Marlins fans had a "wait and see" attitude on their season before its started in terms of World Series potential.

I think people are just trying to reign in the expectations that the general crowd at the game has about guys like Tony Gwynn Jr. and Gennett. People fall in love with a slappy .300 hitter that "puts the ball in play" and when Hunt calls him "can't miss" one has to put out the realistic expectations. I know that many on here may know the reality of it, but nobody is calling Logan Schafer a "can't miss" prospect because he is correctly tabbed as a 4th OF that could develop into a nice starter. I guess it just brings a little reaction when Hunt and the general fan fall overly in love with slap hitters with a cool name like Gennett or Gwynn, Jr.

Batting average isn't necessarily a "throw-away" stat, but talking about how he's hitting .300 in the minors all the time on the broadcasts throws off a lot of people that don't understand it can be a misleading stat.

Maybe its my hangover, but I can't quite figure out how you are disagreeing with what I posted.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will say that I like his throwing motion to 1b a whole lot more than Weeks. Rickie's lazy all-arms throws (Brandon Phillips does this too) can be annoying. If he can cover first adequately on bunts and if he can field balls to his right, then he's superior to Weeks defensively

Yeah, quoted the wrong post sorry.

Are you saying I'm not hungover? Because I sure feel hungover.

Haha, thanks for clearing that up. I read you post like 3 times and was really confused.

:laughing

Thank you... I needed that laugh at this point today.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Verified Member

I've read through this thread and am a little confused. I see a fringe MLB prospect here. He can only play 2B and he isn't a plus defender. He doesn't provide speed as a starter or as a potential pinch runner. He doesn't have any power and he doesn't make up for it by having a high walk rate. He is a career .300 hitter in the minors, but hitting .300 in the majors is a completely different story.

He certainly does not look like a potential starting caliber player, and he has little value as a bench player given his lack of defensive versatility and his lack of speed. He also has little value as a bench bat.

He looks like the type of guy that will spend most of his career in AAA as organizational depth. What am I missing here? I read that some compared him to guys like Counsell or Eckstein, but those guys could play SS. It is a completely different story if you are that level of player and can only play 2B at an average level.

I've read through this thread and am a little confused. I see a fringe MLB prospect here. He can only play 2B and he isn't a plus defender. He doesn't provide speed as a starter or as a potential pinch runner. He doesn't have any power and he doesn't make up for it by having a high walk rate. He is a career .300 hitter in the minors, but hitting .300 in the majors is a completely different story.

He certainly does not look like a potential starting caliber player, and he has little value as a bench player given his lack of defensive versatility and his lack of speed. He also has little value as a bench bat.

He looks like the type of guy that will spend most of his career in AAA as organizational depth. What am I missing here? I read that some compared him to guys like Counsell or Eckstein, but those guys could play SS. It is a completely different story if you are that level of player and can only play 2B at an average level.

I think you've surmised the situation accurately. I think the desire to get Gennett in the lineup and Weeks out says much more about Weeks than Gennett. There comes a point when you need to get a guy out of a lineup who is posting a .500 OPS and is a poor defender (Weeks) even if the alternative would provide nothing more than a marginal gain (if at all).

Edit - and now that Weeks has a 1.333 OPS in June (only 14 PA's though) he might provide more upside going forward than Gennett.

Edit - and now that Weeks has a 1.333 OPS in June (only 14 PA's though) he might provide more upside going forward than Gennett.

Weeks always provided more upside. His downside if Gennett's upside. From most accounts it isn't like Gennett is a good defender either.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Weeks always provided more upside. His downside if Gennett's upside. From most accounts it isn't like Gennett is a good defender either.

But his name is SCOOTER. And he's short and white. He HAS to be a good defender.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I guess I am just hoping to have a guy near average (all around) for 400k a year for the couple of years after Weeks goes. A team surely needs more average 400k guys than below average 10 mill guys. I agree with all, Weeks has an amazing upside. Lord knows what is going on. He just fell off the table like a Doug Jones or Trevor Hoffman change. And no one knows why? Actually, I bet 'somebody' knows 'something'. Heck, it could be the only black guy on the team thing. It could be his mate went to the Tigers. It must be something. It is seemingly impossible to go from being so good (for a about season) to so bad.

re Scooter, I hope the 'age 27' thing helps. It would be great if he had a couple of 'career years' of .770 OPS in 2015 and 2016 - then we let him go. (kind of like I just checked brewerfan.net main page to confirm Scooter's age (23) and I see some guy Billy Hall as the team leader in OPS and RBI and RUNS.

That was just awesome, and that's what Scooter is going to have to do to succeed. Teams will pull the outfielders in and throw strikes, "I triple-dog dare ya!"

That time, Scooter found the gap, which gave him all day to run while the outfielders chased the ball down. That has to happen, if he can't "keep 'em honest" the singles will get a lot harder to come by.

I guess I am just hoping to have a guy near average (all around) for 400k a year for the couple of years after Weeks goes. A team surely needs more average 400k guys than below average 10 mill guys. I agree with all, Weeks has an amazing upside. Lord knows what is going on. He just fell off the table like a Doug Jones or Trevor Hoffman change. And no one knows why? Actually, I bet 'somebody' knows 'something'. Heck, it could be the only black guy on the team thing. It could be his mate went to the Tigers. It must be something. It is seemingly impossible to go from being so good (for a about season) to so bad.

re Scooter, I hope the 'age 27' thing helps. It would be great if he had a couple of 'career years' of .770 OPS in 2015 and 2016 - then we let him go. (kind of like I just checked brewerfan.net main page to confirm Scooter's age (23) and I see some guy Billy Hall as the team leader in OPS and RBI and RUNS.

Weeks had an amazing upside but he never fully reached it. Now it's more like .250/.325/.450 which is hardly amazing and his downside is well, very bad. I don't look at Gennett as a "core type", but as a starter for a few seasons that can put up average type production? Sure.

I really don't understand why Gennett's service clock has been started. If it's to make sure Weeks option doesn't kick in... can't we just use Bianchi to make sure that doesn't happen?

Although Weeks has been bad, I just feel like it's very likely Weeks would finish with better numbers than Gennett is able to produce this year.

I really don't understand why Gennett's service clock has been started. If it's to make sure Weeks option doesn't kick in... can't we just use Bianchi to make sure that doesn't happen?

Although Weeks has been bad, I just feel like it's very likely Weeks would finish with better numbers than Gennett is able to produce this year.

Maybe RR told Melvin that he didn't really like Bianchi at 2B. Maybe Melvin wanted to see what Gennett could do.

Regardless, Melvin probably isn't really concerned about the clock. Does Gennett really project to be an above average 2b starter? If so maybe they will lose him in 2019 then, but it probably isn't that big of a risk.

Rickie Weeks career OBP vs LHP is .393 and his career OPS vs LHP is .840

Hopefully, among other reasons, they are showcasing Weeks' elite skills in that regard for future trades

Brandon Phillips' career OBP vs LHP: .344

Ian Kinsler's career OBP vs LHP: .382

Dustin Pedroia's career OBP vs LHP: .401

Rickie Weeks in 2013 vs LHP: .353 OBP (and rising)

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I get the impression that the org. isn't that concerned with Gennett's service time. And with his profile as a player, I'm not surprised.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm on record as a nonbeliever. But I also know that players develop, and power is classically the latest tool to develop. He's up, and he's going to play some. Let's see what he can do, one day at a time. Today, at the plate, was one excellent day.

I've said it before but I like Scooter's potential a lot. At the very least he projects (to me at least) as a player who can give very professional at-bats vs RHPs at the MLB level and hit for Average in the .280-.310 range with an OBP of 50-60 points higher than his BA..... there is value in that

Now I have zero statistical analysis to project the following, based on his Minor League history, but I think there's a chance that as he ages he could develop into a guy who walks enough to have a 90-100 point jump in OBP over BA. I really think he could eventually be a .290/.380 guy

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived