Brewer Fanatic

Scooter Gennett gets called up to MLB

Invader3K

First, the idea that Scooter will bring out swarms of fans is unrealistic. I love to new players coming up, it is exciting to see how they will do no matter who they are. You know what? I'm in the minority, and I'm not planning to go to a game any time soon. Sure, people will come out to see Braun, Fielder, Verlander (sorry couldn't find A Brewer pitcher equivalent) But Scooter or Josh Prince? Absolutely not.

Now, on to Scooter. He can't be a utility guy- period. And that has nothing to do with projections. He simply can't and never will be able to play SS, and 3B would even be a big reach That's not a shot. That's not rooting against him, it's just a fact. You just can't have a guy who can only play 2B as your Utility IF. What about platoon? In my opinion, ideally I don't like a platoon as 2B. But sure you can do it for a while, at this point why not? But long term, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

That leaves full time starter. In order for him to be an every day player, he would need to hit over .300. He has no power, and defense is average at best for an MLB 2B. He could get better defensively sure, but that remains to be seen. Simply doesn't walk enough or have enough power to play every day unless he hits .300, and that's unfair to expect from anyone coming into the league. It's not impossible, but not likely.

I am NOT rooting against him. As a Trats regular, I would love to see him be the first Trat to become a full time starter with the Brewers. I'm rooting for him. I just don't see how he fits long term.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No one is saying Gennett fits in the Brewers long term plans at 2B. However, when someone else comes along that's better then things will change.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Not to bag on the kid, but you know that it's been a rough season when this move gets this kind of interest. The bottom line is that the best thing for this organization is that Rickie figures things out. In the past week or two, I've seen some signs that he may be coming out of his funk. I also was impressed to see Rickie encourage Scooter after his at bat, a lot of guys wouldn't do that.

Not to bag on the kid, but you know that it's been a rough season when this move gets this kind of interest. The bottom line is that the best thing for this organization is that Rickie figures things out. In the past week or two, I've seen some signs that he may be coming out of his funk. I also was impressed to see Rickie encourage Scooter after his at bat, a lot of guys wouldn't do that.

10 for his last 32 ABs after tonight. Fingers crossed, but not holding my breath...

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The bottom line is that the best thing for this organization is that Rickie figures things out.

Well I think it would be best to salvage something out of Weeks and I think a straight platoon of Weeks/Scooter will produce decent results. They are stuck with Weeks through next year anyway so might as well try it because watching either of these guys play every day isn't going to end well.

I also was impressed to see Rickie encourage Scooter after his at bat, a lot of guys wouldn't do that.

Didn't see it, but that's a class move. Weeks has always seemed like a good guy to have on the ballclub.

Weeks over his last 10 games is hitting .313/.353/.531. He's also hit a few balls hard that ended in outs which he wasn't doing earlier. So the timing of this move is rather curious. Perhaps he's doing what he did last year when it took him until June to get himself going. Maybe the Brewers see that he does better sitting a couple days per week and they preferred having a lefty bat to spell him.

also, bear in mind that the brewers had been playing with a four-man bench for quite some time.

of lefties blake lalli, caleb gindl, scooter gennett, and righties khris davis and josh prince (the only available position players on the full 40-man roster), who would you bring up?

Would the most we could hope for out of Scooter be a Craig Counsell?

Again he doesn't have the arm to play the left side of the IF, so no... maybe with the bat but I think that's setting the bar awful low. Scooter has a much better hit tool than Craig had, but won't take as many walks and little positional versatility.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Hunter Morris

then name two players that you want to risk losing from the organization. has to be two, because one spot is reserved for corey hart when he's added back to the 40-man, and the other for hunter morris himself.

and, if you're playing gm and anticipate trading a 40-man roster veteran player for salary relief, one would hope that it'd be for 40-man roster talent that could help the club this year--not minor league talent not on the 40-man.

one greinke got the brewers three 40-man roster players. they had to make room for those three right away. still think hunter morris is a wise move at this point?

Would the most we could hope for out of Scooter be a Craig Counsell?

I think Jim Gantner is a better comparison. I'm optimistically thinking that Gantner's career year of 1982 .295/.335/.704 with 4 HR's would be Gennett's career average.....

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Hunter Morris

then name two players that you want to risk losing from the organization. has to be two, because one spot is reserved for corey hart when he's added back to the 40-man, and the other for hunter morris himself.

and, if you're playing gm and anticipate trading a 40-man roster veteran player for salary relief, one would hope that it'd be for 40-man roster talent that could help the club this year--not minor league talent not on the 40-man.

one greinke got the brewers three 40-man roster players. they had to make room for those three right away. still think hunter morris is a wise move at this point?

Without looking to hard Michael Gonzalez, Yuni, Francisco Rodriguez, Blake Lalli and Caleb Gindle would probably all be candidates. None are likely to play an improvident part with the franchise going forward. I am sure there are another 3-4 pitchers who could be added to the list.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Sorry, I guess I called him a utility guy in terms of his bat.

And while you say that people can see into future crystal balls, it is equally annoying when those people are laughed off as crass nerds trying to downplay a call-up or a kid on a hot streak. There's a reason that the projections are what they are.

For every time that somebody was wrong about Pedroia or Zobrist exceeding their expectations, they hit on 100 of the other projections. There's a reason that these projections exist.

I'm not rooting against the guy, and as fans, we have minimal to no control on Doug deciding that he's our future. However, I think it's nice to have these projections to set expectations for these guys. We'll be pleasantly surprised if he exceeds them.

Most fans on this site are fully aware of the scouting projection on Scooter "Ryan" Gennett. However, the posters with the most experience here on this site are wise enough to wait on judging a player (calling him a untility man or starter) until we see what he can do in the majors over an extended period of time.

Most of the posters here are also wise enough to know that Scooter isn't going to draw fans to the ball park. They also know that the chances of him being a significant player on a winning Brewers team is pretty low...not non existent, just low.

Scooter Gennett's Splits in AAA ball this year:

vs RHP .317/.370/.769

vs LHP .266/.298/.639

Makes sense to platoon him at the MLB level, at least this year

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Most of the posters here are also wise enough to know that Scooter isn't going to draw fans to the ball park.

Actually, Scooter had the most fan reaction after being announced of all the Brewers players at last night's game. He easily drew the most applause by far.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

regarding vesting weeks' option . . .

Sitting him (Weeks) twice a week in pitching matchups would be roughly down to 70% games started.

We're 50 games away from Trade Deadline so then you figure that's 7-8 extra games of PAs not accrued over current pace or about 32-35PAs. That would put him on a 565-70 PA pace. So then you're looking at the team who acquires him being able to play him 90% or more of the games rest of season and he'll creep close to 600PA but not pass it.

you also have to consider that with john axford removed from the closer's role, there are fewer blown saves, and thus, fewer extra inning games. that helps minimize weeks' plate appearances.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Most of the posters here are also wise enough to know that Scooter isn't going to draw fans to the ball park.

Actually, Scooter had the most fan reaction after being announced of all the Brewers players at last night's game. He easily drew the most applause by far.

Right but how many of those showed up just because of Scooter?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Right but how many of those showed up just because of Scooter?

2423. I took a poll. One person in the 10 I talked to went to see Scooter.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Most fans on this site are fully aware of the scouting projection on Scooter "Ryan" Gennett. However, the posters with the most experience here on this site are wise enough to wait on judging a player (calling him a untility man or starter) until we see what he can do in the majors over an extended period of time.

That's not true, I think the posters with the most experience on here would be able to tab him as not a starter almost immediately. Nobody on here is an actual scout, but if you're a fan or speculator, shouldn't you be making logical guesses on these guys? If he somehow carves out an Eckstein or Counsell career, more power to him, but that is such a tough thing to do.

I don't think the most experienced Marlins fans had a "wait and see" attitude on their season before its started in terms of World Series potential.

I think people are just trying to reign in the expectations that the general crowd at the game has about guys like Tony Gwynn Jr. and Gennett. People fall in love with a slappy .300 hitter that "puts the ball in play" and when Hunt calls him "can't miss" one has to put out the realistic expectations. I know that many on here may know the reality of it, but nobody is calling Logan Schafer a "can't miss" prospect because he is correctly tabbed as a 4th OF that could develop into a nice starter. I guess it just brings a little reaction when Hunt and the general fan fall overly in love with slap hitters with a cool name like Gennett or Gwynn, Jr.

Batting average isn't necessarily a "throw-away" stat, but talking about how he's hitting .300 in the minors all the time on the broadcasts throws off a lot of people that don't understand it can be a misleading stat.

Huh, they must have all gone out and gotten tickets just to see him then.

Archived