Brewer Fanatic

Scooter Gennett gets called up to MLB

Invader3K
Community Moderator
DM saying something in the media is not always fact, we have to remember that. Same with coaches and owners. When a guy like Weeks is struggling you don't come out and say we are bringing up his replacement! So lets not think the organization has no plan, there will always be smoke and mirrors to boost confidence and to get other clubs thinking more.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.238/.332/.410 to dropping .025pts from AAA numbers.. .272/.317/.352.

Okay, for bottom of the order numbers. The slugging isn't as important to me as the BA/OB is. Weeks has shown for 1+ season now almost next to nothing in Clutch situations. Your OPS gains in Weeks is in power 3HRs thus far and his Walks. The walks mean something more atop the order. At the bottom, I'll take a BA guy who can supply those occasional clutch hits. Weeks not batting atop the order and showing less ability at the plate, those Power numbers with chances aren't guaranteed. 10RBI in 205PAs. 1 the Entire Month of May on his Only HR!

He really provides nothing near what ZiPS projects. I'll bet today that Scooter has more RBI than Weeks for June. The bats ahead of Scooter give him ample opportunities and a .270-.300 hitter will more than likely drive the likes of ARam/Lucroy/Gomez in more often than the I hope I can bat .220 Weeks.

0-23 3bbs 2out RISP 4-46 11bbs RISP overall. I'm thinking if Scooter gets enough opportunities he will suppass Weeks in number of RISP hits by the end of this month alone.

I think that is a reasonable projection for Gennett, perhaps even a little low. Your explanation for why Weeks' projected line would actually be expected to result in less runs than Gennett's is pretty hard to understand. however. SLG and walks should basically take a back seat to singles? It is true that the relative value of batting events changes depending on the base/out situation. That is not going to make a line with a higher OBP and SLG inferior, however. not even close.

We care about team runs, not player RBIs.

This is good move to get Scooter some playing time in the majors looking forward to next season when the Brewers could very well be in contention. Week's days are numbered and right now Gennett is the 2B man of the future for the Brewers over anybody in the system. It's the first week in June, so the fact that the Brewers waited to call him up means we control him for another year I think. This will also help with attendance depending on how well he does.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Scooter Gennett is not going to help attendance at all. Scooter Gennett got called up. Now that's must see baseball!

You'd be surprised how many fans go to the games just to see these young prospects who are the future of the team.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Scooter Gennett is not going to help attendance at all. Scooter Gennett got called up. Now that's must see baseball!

You'd be surprised how many fans go to the games just to see these young prospects who are the future of the team.

I bet at least 50.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I envision Scooter starting out hot, impressing people. Then as adjustments need to be made, I see his avg/obp dropping to the .240/.275 range. If he makes some good adjustments, he could evolve into a .290/.310 kind of player. Not bad, not good. But solid. Would be nice to get a guy able to grind out at bats for hits rather than K's with men in scoring position

I bet at least 50.

It has to be in the thousands. Younger ball players are more exciting to watch at the MLB level. They hustle everything out and play twice as hard as the guys who are FA or making million of dollars. It's also exciting to see them do well when they first get called up. You root for them to do well, and when they do you cheer twice as loud as anybody else, because they are the future and will be on this team for at least 5 years. Just look at Segura. Many fans come to watch this kid play instead of choosing staying home even though the Brewers are out of it.

Roenicke says that Weeks & Gennett will be used in a platoon. The good news about that is that even in this horrible season of 2013 so far for Weeks, he has a .333 OBP vs LHP. Weeks is also hitting .267/.313 overall in the last 14 days, so hopefully he is turning it around and the platoon will help
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

If fans are showing up thinking Gennett is the future, the franchise is in some real trouble if he really is their future.

Well Michael Hunt said so therefore it must be true.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I think the difference in k-rate between Gennett and Weeks could be enough of a positive... even if gennett just grounds out every time instead. i'd rather see a guy make contact and get out than someone swing and miss the pitch by a mile

Would you rather a player ground into a double play than strike out? A strike out is an out. That's all.

I want Brewers who make as few outs as possible. I don't care if striking out is how the out is made.

I think that is a reasonable projection for Gennett, perhaps even a little low. Your explanation for why Weeks' projected line would actually be expected to result in less runs than Gennett's is pretty hard to understand. however. SLG and walks should basically take a back seat to singles? It is true that the relative value of batting events changes depending on the base/out situation. That is not going to make a line with a higher OBP and SLG inferior, however. not even close.

We care about team runs, not player RBIs.

How I see it in the situation. Weeks bats, strikes out,grounds out, and flies out. He's dropped dramatically in Fly Ball rate this season so the suggested power numbers everyone hopes for aren't as likely to happen. BREF has an AVG. Player in his PA to accumulate 21RBI. Weeks has 10.

If both these players are looking to be .315-.325 OB guys, One via a walk or one via the hit. You tell me which one when batting 7th/8th in the order works better for the team? The Pitcher comes up and kills any rally behind you. With batting 7th this includes plenty of doubles hitters ahead of you. ARam,Lucroy,Gomez. 25% of their hits are Extra Base hits. That immediately puts them as RISP. Weeks continued inability to drive them in or just take a Walk does Nothing unless Yuni/8th/Pitcher drives them in. Scooter's Singles has more chance of driving runs across the board than Weeks Walks or 1 in 68 PA(Currently) HR does.

My argument just stems from where Weeks now resides in the Batting Order 7th. Which has to be the worst place for him. Just for the fact of what I am arguing. #8 hitter and Pitchers batting after Rickie I can take a Walk but can't get a Base Hit with RISP Weeks. He's not providing the team with Runs in fact his stat on BREF sits at -Negative -10Runs offensively for what an average Batter would create. That's nearly .2runs per game played he is BELOW AVERAGE. Scooter Gennett is what the Average Player is supposedly based on. AAA Players.

Carlos Gomez +14 runs/Lucroy 0Runs/ARam +5 runs is what bats ahead of Scooter/Weeks. I'll promise you if Gennett approaches a .260 avg or better he will provide a + number in that Runs Provided stat.

I guess where it stands is that for Rickie to reach that Slg% he needs to hit HRs. Without them he's really not going to outslug Scooter as the 2bs/3bs are likely to be about the same.

1 in 22.44 2010 1 in 22.65 2011 1 in 28 2012 and 1 in 59.67 2013 are the HRs to ABs numbers Weeks has. See the Trend? The HRs are coming fewer and far between which is the one thing he's supposed to provide in value. W/O the HRs his projected SLG has to tumble. .468-.400-.279 shows it has.

He's already spent more games with a season Slg below .300 (34) than all of last season at 25. His slg numbers just aren't there anymore. It's a Phantom number everyone is hoping for.

One of the most can't miss utility men out there.

You have no clue if he is eventually going to be a utility man or a regular starter in the Majors. No clue at all. How about we let him play some in the Majors before we act like we know what he will do.

You have no clue if he is eventually going to be a utility man or a regular starter in the Majors. No clue at all. How about we let him play some in the Majors before we act like we know what he will do.

Hunt called him "can't miss" which should be reserved for guys that, you know, are projected to be good players.

All indications show that he's going to be a light hitting slap hitter with modest speed. Could he develop? Sure (unlikely), but the joke was about Hunt calling that "can't miss."

Well he's not a utility player because he no utility, just like Eric Farris, as he's a 2B only. He doesn't have the arm the for the left side of the IF so it's 2B or bust.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Well he's not a utility player because he no utility, just like Eric Farris, as he's a 2B only. He doesn't have the arm the for the left side of the IF so it's 2B or bust.

Agreed.

So many people here are posting that he is this, he isn't that, but in all reality, it is asinine to come to any kind of judgement until the guy suits up and plays.

It almost seems that there are those here who are practically rooting against him. I'm sure that isn't the case, but none of us know anything for sure. The way people are talking, they have magic future seeing crystal balls.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Sorry, I guess I called him a utility guy in terms of his bat.

And while you say that people can see into future crystal balls, it is equally annoying when those people are laughed off as crass nerds trying to downplay a call-up or a kid on a hot streak. There's a reason that the projections are what they are.

For every time that somebody was wrong about Pedroia or Zobrist exceeding their expectations, they hit on 100 of the other projections. There's a reason that these projections exist.

I'm not rooting against the guy, and as fans, we have minimal to no control on Doug deciding that he's our future. However, I think it's nice to have these projections to set expectations for these guys. We'll be pleasantly surprised if he exceeds them.

Sorry, I guess I called him a utility guy in terms of his bat.

And while you say that people can see into future crystal balls, it is equally annoying when those people are laughed off as crass nerds trying to downplay a call-up or a kid on a hot streak. There's a reason that the projections are what they are.

For every time that somebody was wrong about Pedroia or Zobrist exceeding their expectations, they hit on 100 of the other projections. There's a reason that these projections exist.

I'm not rooting against the guy, and as fans, we have minimal to no control on Doug deciding that he's our future. However, I think it's nice to have these projections to set expectations for these guys. We'll be pleasantly surprised if he exceeds them.

Most fans on this site are fully aware of the scouting projection on Scooter "Ryan" Gennett. However, the posters with the most experience here on this site are wise enough to wait on judging a player (calling him a untility man or starter) until we see what he can do in the majors over an extended period of time.

I'm not rooting against anyone. I just don't get too excited about a marginal prospect with a low ceiling get called up. I hope he does great and exceeds everyone's expectations.

How I see it in the situation. Weeks bats, strikes out,grounds out, and flies out. He's dropped dramatically in Fly Ball rate this season so the suggested power numbers everyone hopes for aren't as likely to happen.

Yes, we got a lot of analysis of Weeks' first 2 months last year. Look at all the available data. You have to go ALLLLL the way back to find Weeks' 2012 to see he SLG'd .400, so a .410 projection for him going forward is not exactly a hard sell.

BREF has an AVG. Player in his PA to accumulate 21RBI. Weeks has 10.

We all already know he has hit terribly this year so what is your point? That you have to have an RBI guy like Scooter in the 7 hole?

If both these players are looking to be .315-.325 OB guys, One via a walk or one via the hit. You tell me which one when batting 7th/8th in the order works better for the team?

I already did. Weeks projects to have the better OBP and SLG, so it's an easy choice. You are simply overvaluing BA at the bottom of the order. Well that and you are trying to talk yourself into believing that Scooter should project to have as much power as Weeks. If you believe that, more power to you. Hey look, as I type that, Weeks just hit a HR.

Now if we want to talk about the two platooning, that might be a different situation. But again, YIPPEE. The Brewers MIGHT win an extra game and finish 12 under. That and the 50 extra tickets from friends and family.

So many people here are posting that he is this, he isn't that, but in all reality, it is asinine to come to any kind of judgement until the guy suits up and plays.

It almost seems that there are those here who are practically rooting against him. I'm sure that isn't the case, but none of us know anything for sure. The way people are talking, they have magic future seeing crystal balls.

I agree that it's asinine, and that's why I spoke up.

It's not that they are rooting against him. However, I do believe that many here and elsewhere seem to think that just because a scouting report says one thing that must mean it will happen that way. Which is a false way to look at it. The wait and prove me wrong approach is the best way to make an educated determination on what a players ceiling is. Sometimes like in the case of Carlos Gomez it takes an adjustment at the plate to finally live up to expectations. This game is full of adjustments and when a player makes a good adjustment it can totally change a players projection or ceiling, and leave some scratching their heads.

I don't think it's fair to characterize people who are being realistic about Gennett as "they are rooting against him". The same ideas were tossed around last year about Fiers even when he was performing well.

I think the idea here is to set realistic expectations about a player's possible performance. I'm not going use MLEs because I think they are a waste of time, instead I try to project the player based on reasonable middle ground performance. I'm not going to get overly worked up when a young player struggles for a couple of months early in his career, I believe in being patient and giving that player a chance to grow into his role. Some guys are going to be like Braun and perform right away, others like Segura who take time to build into their role, some like Parra may never get it. I just want them to be able to play without looking over their shoulder worried about a bad performance sending them back to the minors or the bench.

When a player like McGehee, Fiers, or Gennett starts their Brewer career out super hot that doesn't mean his career arc will be greater than his physical talent would suggest. While some players like Marcum certainly will overachieve for their career, they are the exception to the rule. Scooter doesn't have much power, much speed, much arm strength, or play good defense. I'll be happy if he turns into a league average hitter with league average defense at 2B until someone better would come along.

It's been easy hate on Weeks because he's never become that player which his physical talents would suggest he could be. He was miscast as a lead off hitter for too long because the team didn't have a better option and he's drawn the continual venom of the fanbase for much of his career. I'm indifferent to Rickie but to me this is no different than what happened with Hardy in 2009... making a move to satisfy a contract issue while appearing to be looking to "better" the MLB team.

The reality here is that the pitching is our problem, has been our problem, and will continue to be our problem until it is permanently addressed. Weeks wouldn't matter if the pitching was decent enough the team was winning so that every AB wasn't over analyzed, even the best players get out 60% of the time. Scooter isn't a high ceiling pitcher so this move will mean very little for this season or in the grand scheme. We should be spending our time debating how to acquire young pitching not whether a prospect will outperform an established MLB position player.

Even if we score more runs, start winning games, and make the playoffs, we're a one and done team with our pitching as is. Hopefully Peralta and Gallardo will ascend but the rest of the guys have been pretty much what their talent would suggest. People will talk about Estrada's K rate but ignore the fact that he's a gopher ball pitcher who's prone to the big inning. Sure he looks great for 4 innings a start, but you know he's going to give up 3+ at some point. Lohse is another in a long of control pitchers, when he doesn't have it, he's going to get smacked around. Same with Fiers, Narveson, Burgos, or any other pitcher we throw out there with averagish velocity. They can be successful when they locate and mix their pitches well, but they don't have the pure stuff to overcome starts when they don't have it. You don't build around control pitchers, you build around talent like Gallardo at age 24, and if we don't have it we'd better go find it. Rounding out the rotation with control pitchers is fine, but the top 3 slots better have legit talent.

Until Scooter can pitch 7 innings of 2 run ball honestly I could care less where he plays. I'm not rooting against him, in fact I hope he does well, but he's not going to change our fortunes by himself, nor is a platoon with Weeks going to be a difference for the team in 2013. It will certainly save the team money in 2015 (which is huge), but this move won't suddenly make the Brewers a .500 ball club from here on out.

- Plato

- Plato

Archived