Brewer Fanatic

Scooter Gennett gets called up to MLB

Invader3K
My guess is that the Brewers are showcasing Scooter for a trade? Does not make sense otherwise. Weeks needs to play to be worth anything to the team or a trade. Dont see the Brewers trading Weeks with his contract and current production.

I'm not sure that showacsing a guy who hasn't been in the show before as a trade chip is a good idea. Wouldn't we be better off using him as a trade chip with his career minor league numbers, than playing him for a minimal amount of innings with the chance of failing before trading him?

I highly doubt we brought him up for a showcase...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't like the move. It's a lost season. Should keep Scooter in AAA to get regular at-bats, and play Weeks every day in hopes of him regaining some trade value for this offseason. Production at 2B isn't the reason this team is struggling. I'd actually be more on board if the team was winning. In that case, little fixes would make a lot more sense. This just mirrors the call-up of Taylor Green a few years ago in terms of sporadic playing time and unreasonably high expectation. He's being set up to fail in my opinion.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

As I've said several times before, I'm a fan of Scooter Gennett, I think he'll stick in the big leagues....BUT...nothing about him suggests he'll be a big deal.

I think he'll be the underdog fan favorite type that stat lovers perpetually want to replace.

In any event, he's up now, and it'll be fun to see what he can do.

Don't like the move. It's a lost season. Should keep Scooter in AAA to get regular at-bats, and play Weeks every day in hopes of him regaining some trade value for this offseason.

I guess I care a little that they started Scooter's clock, but I am not as optimistic that he will be good enough that we have to worry about it in three years. But I am encouraged that hopefully this means that Melvin realizes he needs to keep Weeks from vesting his option and this is one step he is taking to do just that.

What is Rickie's OPS this year?

It's not good, but I'd bank on Rickie recovering to a .750 OPS to finish the season than I ever would expect to see better production out of Gennett.

I'm fine with the move short-term because the platoon game is a good idea in today's MLB but I'm not expecting Gennett to hit very well. Maybe better than Weeks currently is, but marginally. So, meh.

who is who?

.293/.341/.447

.304/.358/.413

.293/.330/.385

.297/.342/.376

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

segura and scooter in each of their last two MiLB seasons

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

It's not good, but I'd bank on Rickie recovering to a .750 OPS to finish the season than I ever would expect to see better production out of Gennett.

I don't want my money at that bank because Weeks is done as an everyday player. It can't hurt because Weeks has been so terrible and Gennett isn't good enough to really worry about service time. I wouldn't mind a straight platoon.

I have very little faith in Weeks finding his stroke any time soon (or ever for that matter). Because of this, I'm not against bringing Gennett up. However, not to sound too much like Alan Greenspan but...I often think that some Brewer fans have an irrational exuberance when it comes to some Brewer "prospects". I see Gennett as nothing more than a very light hitting infielder. I don't see him hitting .300 at the MLB level. Maybe .250 or .260 with very little power. There is a reason he was drafted in the 16th round.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Don't like the move. It's a lost season. Should keep Scooter in AAA to get regular at-bats, and play Weeks every day in hopes of him regaining some trade value for this offseason.

I guess I care a little that they started Scooter's clock, but I am not as optimistic that he will be good enough that we have to worry about it in three years. But I am encouraged that hopefully this means that Melvin realizes he needs to keep Weeks from vesting his option and this is one step he is taking to do just that.

I don't care about his service clock. I agree with you, I don't think he'll end up being the type of player that it'll matter for. The point is that he needs regular at-bats at this point, and he won't get them here. As I said, it reminds me a lot of the Taylor Green situation. They are very similar players. With this being a lost season, I'd just rather see him get regular at-bats. It is smart to make sure Weeks' option doesn't vest though, but that could be done by giving Bianchi playing time a platoon situation. To me, a player like Hunter Morris is someone to be more excited about. Although, that's probably the reason he isn't up here right now. He's a guy whose service time is worth saving. Would've been nice to see him at 1B while Hart was out though. He'd make more of an impact. I think we'll see him when Hart gets dealt though.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I am thrilled with the move. And there's likely something else in store to coincide with it. Either way, Lefty/Righty Platoon with Weeks seems great to me. What more really does Gennett have to do in AAA? He's pretty much that High Floor-Low Ceiling Player you only work with defensively on improvements. With Rickie's defense how much more ability does he need to be better than him? Fiers for Scooter,Francisco for Gonzalez. The team is immediately better no?

I guess what I'm happy with the most is no more Gonzalez, and less Weeks which is about all that I've been asking for. Francisco likely replaces Yuni honestly when Hart returns. And that is just a younger, better defensive player who at least provides some kind of upside. Gonzalez/Yuni had/have ZERO upside.

I don't mind .250-.260 as expectations from Scooter but what if he's .280-.310? Being a slap to gap hitter vs. Power I'm thinking at least there's positive at bats in situational hitting. Sacrificing. Just a guy that with Rickie I don't think you can ask him to lay down a sacrifice bunt. And again, I said it in the other Scooter thread, Hit and Runs. Batting him behind Gomez at 7? Rickie's poor contact rate/RHB doesn't make that work as well.

We are exactly at the point in last season when Rickie slowly began to pull himself out the horrible slump. That doesn't mean it will happen this year, but there have been signs of life his last 10 games. From May 30th on, Rickie hit 261/346/445.

Bianchi has made some gaffes at 2nd, so my guess is they prefer Gennett in a soft platoon with Weeks for the next month to see in Rickie will start hitting like he did last June.

If they really want to attempt to get back in it, I'd have Rickie out there every day. Yes, you heard me...every freaking day. Weeks reverting to his mean is a better bet and has way more upside than marginal guys like Yuni, Bianchi or Scooter. Let Scooter continue to develop in Nashville. If Weeks doesn't turn it around, it's not hurting anything at this point...they're basically out of it.

Scooter can come up after the break when they've traded some guys and are throwing in the towel. These moves smack of mid-00s just trying to do something even if it makes no sense just to placate the fans. Its like RR and DM are listening to too much sports talk radio or reading the jsonline threads. Makes no sense to me.

Well Gennett is no gold-glover either. The only thing that makes sense to me is Melvin may have a buyer for Weeks. Go the rest of the season with the Gennett/Bianchi at 2B, not that it matteers anymore. At this point, the salary dump alone would be a good reason to trade Weeks. And his body of work could very well be enough for a couple GMS out there to take a chance that the old "change of scenery" could turn Weeks around. It would also fit in perfectly with the Brewers sell low philosophy.

I think this has less to do with Scooter than it does Weeks' option that the Brewers simply will not allow to vest.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

People are going to be very upset when they find out (INSERT ANY MiLB NAME) isn't the savior....

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I don't get this move. Given our situation so far this season, I don't think Gennett is going to make enough of a difference playing instead of Bianchi for this move to be justified right now.

Can't agree more, and that's why I suspect somethings being worked on to move Weeks and then Gennett and Bianchi will be the platoon at 2B. Of course, if Francisco plays 1B, he's going to need a platoon partner too. I doubt that would be Weeks.

I think this has less to do with Scooter than it does Weeks' option that the Brewers simply will not allow to vest.

Well, as it stands right now Rickie is only on pace for 603PAs. And Bianchi alone they could sit him just once a week to likely get him under 600PA. At 599 it doesn't matter anymore as he can't achieve 1200 without going over the 600PA kick in on 2014 alone.

I hope whoever thinks somebody has an interest in Weeks is right. But really, who? and why? at this point. You would have to be sitting in a very ugly situation at 2b to want to trade for Rickie.

Maybe Scooter Can/and Will Rake to a .300BA like he's done every climb of the ladder. He looks to K less than 15% of PAs and it would be telling if he's overmatched now that he's up if he Ks 20-25% or more. Really I'm thinking this is a good look at him to maybe get a clue to what kind of future player they have for 2b.

I think the difference in k-rate between Gennett and Weeks could be enough of a positive... even if gennett just grounds out every time instead. i'd rather see a guy make contact and get out than someone swing and miss the pitch by a mile

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Archived