Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire 3B Juan Francisco from Atlanta Braves

Invader3K
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
Someone tell me where all these RUMORS of Ramirez and Hart being traded in July before the deadline are set in stone?

Come on if you want to spread conjecture take it to the rumors section.

What's the old saying, "Conjecture happens". In all seriousness this board would be pretty boring if everything was only discussed at the surface level and greater questions/theories/debate weren't shared. I would ease up a little on those sharing their opinions.

I honestly think Weeks needs to have his eyes checked.

Like this, excellent conjecture. It is actually something I have thought for a while. My completely uninformed opinion of the matter is that Weeks appears to have some sort of depth perception issue. Especially in the field on some of fly balls and line outs he has misplayed over the last two years it appears like he isn't seeing the ball well at all. Again that is just complete speculation on my part and devoid of any actual evidence.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Juani? Kind of sounds like they should be on a romance novel cover.

I tend to agree with Yaz that this has nothing to do with potential trades down the road. If they trade Hart or Ramirez they are giving up on the season. What sense does it make to trade for someone who doesn't really project to be the future at either position if you are giving up on the season? I think it more likely they are doing what they can to turn this season around. That would also explain bringing up Gennett. If they planned on selling everyone already they would leave Weeks play so they can get him going to make a trade more profitable.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If they planned on selling everyone already they would leave Weeks play so they can get him going to make a trade more profitable.

Having Weeks hit LHP exclusively is a good way to increase his trade value. He'll do better and will show a contending team that he can still hit MLB pitching.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

As far as the trades go...this probably isn't directly related, but if he can come in and hit, it makes it that much easier to trade Ramirez if the opportunity presents itself.

It's far too early to get any trade rumors in early June, but I think everyone agrees the season is probably over already, and it only makes sense to trade guys like Hart, as it's probably unlikely he returns next year.

If they planned on selling everyone already they would leave Weeks play so they can get him going to make a trade more profitable.

Having Weeks hit LHP exclusively is a good way to increase his trade value. He'll do better and will show a contending team that he can still hit MLB pitching.

That's possible. I think if either of these moves was made with a trade in mind it's promoting Gennett. They can do like you said and it might take away enough AB's to negate that last option year. One less season guaranteed might make Weeks contract more palatable. Kind of the opposite of demoting Hardy just short of a year of service made him more tradable.

...it might take away enough AB's to negate that last option year. One less season guaranteed might make Weeks contract more palatable.

I think that is a big part of it

And it might simply be that the Brewers' scouts and coaches do not think that Weeks can consistently hit RHP anymore

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

That's possible. I think if either of these moves was made with a trade in mind it's promoting Gennett. They can do like you said and it might take away enough AB's to negate that last option year. One less season guaranteed might make Weeks contract more palatable. Kind of the opposite of demoting Hardy just short of a year of service made him more tradable.

Except Weeks' option can vest with 600PA in 2014 regardless of his PA in 2013.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I tend to agree with Yaz that this has nothing to do with potential trades down the road. If they trade Hart or Ramirez they are giving up on the season. What sense does it make to trade for someone who doesn't really project to be the future at either position if you are giving up on the season? I think it more likely they are doing what they can to turn this season around. That would also explain bringing up Gennett. If they planned on selling everyone already they would leave Weeks play so they can get him going to make a trade more profitable.

But if they're going into rebuilding mode, which I hope they are, they're still going to need guys to play the games. Francisco could be a cheap option at 3b, or he could be a 400-PA 4C reserve, through two or three dark years, until which he conveniently won't be expensive. Plus he has at least some upside. If you're tanking this season, and for that matter next season, this is exactly the kind of guy you should go get.

Should we really be that concerned about Weeks' option vesting? He's hardly on pace for 600 PA's this season and now Gennett has been called up and will start seeing some playing time. Weeks has struggled horribly this season and was mediocre in 2012, and he's been injury prone for most of his career. Even if he starts this season and next, a few days off here and there for minor tweaks, as well as scheduled off days, ought to keep him under 600 PA's without raising too much ire from the MLBPA.

A vesting option at 600 PA's in Weeks' case isn't that far off from a straight club option. Simply put, it will be easy for them to assure the option does not vest if they don't want it to.

brwrsfan, it should be easy to trade Ramirez. He's relatively cheap and a top 5 offensive 3b.

Cheap? He's still owed $20 million including his buyout for 2014, or $30 million over 2014-2015. That's going to eliminate a fair chunk of teams, and greatly reduce the return in terms of players though the salary relief is nice. His knee issues also make him less attractive to NL teams.

But if they're going into rebuilding mode, which I hope they are, they're still going to need guys to play the games. Francisco could be a cheap option at 3b, or he could be a 400-PA 4C reserve, through two or three dark years, until which he conveniently won't be expensive. Plus he has at least some upside. If you're tanking this season, and for that matter next season, this is exactly the kind of guy you should go get.

We already have Green and Bianchi for long term use in the dark years as well as Yuni for the short term. Getting Francisco is a good long term move no matter what they do with Ramirez and Hart so it seems less likely a signal they are planning on trading them than it is they are looking to get some help now and for the future.

I thought in was a combination of either X amount of AB's in a single season or X amount in a two year period. If that is the case then his option might vest even if he only got 599 AB's next season.

brwrsfan, it should be easy to trade Ramirez. He's relatively cheap and a top 5 offensive 3b.

Cheap? He's still owed $20 million including his buyout for 2014, or $30 million over 2014-2015. That's going to eliminate a fair chunk of teams, and greatly reduce the return in terms of players though the salary relief is nice. His knee issues also make him less attractive to NL teams.

I think the Dodgers would be a main suitor for him, and they'd obviously have no problem paying that salary. Other teams that always wouldn't be deterred by his salary and may have interest are the Angels and Yankees.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I thought in was a combination of either X amount of AB's in a single season or X amount in a two year period. If that is the case then his option might vest even if he only got 599 AB's next season.

600 plate appearances in 2014 or 1200 for 2013-2014. So we don't want him to get 625 this year and then need only 575 next year. He has around 210 plate appearances so far in 56 games, so he is on a pace to get over 600 this year - but just barely.

I think the Dodgers would be a main suitor for him, and they'd obviously have no problem paying that salary. Other teams that always wouldn't be deterred by his salary and may have interest are the Angels and Yankees.

If the Dodgers don't turn things around in the next month+ look for them to be major buyers at the trade deadline. And they have money to throw away on anybody they want to buy....

Saw that he was starting today. Not a huge deal but should make the team better and really the type of deal that I hope Melvin was looking to make before the season was lost. A fairly small sample but a 800 OPS against righties makes a decent half of a platoon.

Well, you grow up behind the likes of Joey Votto and have the bat he has, you find a place to play him to reach the Big Leagues. I'm not as worried he has only a few games experience at 1b. It was more than Yuni/AGonez had combined.

You have a big Lefty bench bat now in the mean time to mop up games at 1b/3b/OF even if called upon. AGonez to Francisco, the club just got a whole lot younger with the move with more power from the Left side. Who has a Power stroke from the Left side on this team?

I read that he could be a cancer in the clubhouse though but hey, Morgan worked well for 1 year. Brought out "Beast Mode" And really, what if this guy pounds the ball and teams covet him? Could end up flipping him in less than 2 months of having him. Could be the kind of guy you Pair with Weeks/ARam/Hart in a deal no?

If you were frustrated by Carlos Gomez's or YB's plate discipline over the years you are going to hate Juan Francisco. The guy swings at more out of zone pitches, takes more in zone pitches, swings and misses more, and pitchers must know they can just throw anything up there because they only throw about 43% of pitches in the zone compared to 48% and 51% for Gomez and YB's careers.

Looking at his K rate and HR numbers he must just close his eyes and swing as hard as he can at everything.

If you were frustrated by Carlos Gomez's or YB's plate discipline over the years you are going to hate Juan Francisco. The guy swings at more out of zone pitches, takes more in zone pitches, swings and misses more, and pitchers must know they can just throw anything up there because they only throw about 43% of pitches in the zone compared to 48% and 51% for Gomez and YB's careers.

Looking at his K rate and HR numbers he must just close his eyes and swing as hard as he can at everything.

That is a Doug Melvin kind of guy. A free swinger with pop. Besides Prince Fielder who have we had in recent memory who was a high OBP type of guy?

Archived