Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire 3B Juan Francisco from Atlanta Braves

Invader3K

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Hit the ball well in the minors. Doesn't walk much. Not sure about his defense. Good buy low guy if they end up trading Ramirez.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

His 1B play is limited but I would think he'd at least platoon there, perhaps with Bianchi now that Gennett is also on board. Francisco is a .270/.319/.476 hitter vs. RHP.

Bianchi is hitting .105/.150/.105 vs LHP this year. Just an aberration but none the less nothing that is screaming platoon this guy and let him see more LHP. (Considering he hit .098 last year against LHP too)

Yuni is hitting: .246/.281/.344 vs LHP this year.

So in the end, someone is getting platooned until Hart shows up.

I think Hart is starting his minor league rehab soon, but he & Ramirez will probably both need days off to rest their knees. That probably accounts for 2-4 starts/week, so it's nice to have a semi-capable LH bat to do that. I hope those who are predicting Ramirez/Hart trades are correct, but I won't hold out hope.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Whatever production we get it is sure to be better than Alex Gonzalez whom the team now is getting rid of!

And thinking ahead what this means to the team. A. They have a 1b for now til Hart arrives. B. they have a 3b if/when they trade away ARam. If Hart performs and is traded I'd expect Hunter to get called up.

Way to Go with this move! It really provides flexibility in the likely future moves the club makes during the Trading Deadline time.

If they can get a decent high minors pitching prospect for Aram he will be gone in an instant. I agree this looks like coverage for upcoming trades, and some hope for even a little offense at 1B in the next month.

he's only 26 and is entering his first year of arbitration in 2014... FA status is not until 2018. thats great

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I guess another thing to put out there is he has OF experience too. You wonder if this allows Braun an added day off or two here and there. More than 2-4Starts a week by him. Saying Juan plays all 3 of 1b/3b/OF Maybe.

25 turning 26 is a whole lot better than 31&36 of Yuni/Gonzalez. And with some OF time he's certainly more flexible for them.

Biachi and him two play all over the place guys. I like it.

our team could be really young if they do trade off Rami, Hart and somehow Weeks...

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I'm excited for this move. We got a steal of a deal with a guy the Braves just didn't have room for. Hopefully he gets about 80% work at 1st until Corey comes back. Should be enough time for him to prove he belongs in a every day lineup once you send A-Ram for an arm. His numbers are what they are, but I liked watching this guy in ATL. I have high hopes.

Austin 5:29

Life never slows down, so always make it exciting #moveit

Community Moderator
I guess another thing to put out there is he has OF experience too. You wonder if this allows Braun an added day off or two here and there. More than 2-4Starts a week by him. Saying Juan plays all 3 of 1b/3b/OF Maybe.

Positions-A-Plenty, the Juan Francisco Treat :)

Not just “at Night” anymore.

for the record, nobody here predicted that the brewers would have two players named francisco on the roster. at least the francisco talent is better than the mouton talent.

I'd take Lyle Mouton's career .280/.339/.420 from Juan Francisco. He was a tremendous minor league hitter who just didn't quite have the talent to play every day in the big leagues, nor the defense to be a great utility outfielder. But he could hit. Davy Lopes wasn't his biggest fan though.

Verified Member

Someone tell me where all these RUMORS of Ramirez and Hart being traded in July before the deadline are set in stone?

Come on if you want to spread conjecture take it to the rumors section.

These moves were made today to try and shake the club awake. We now have a left handed hitting first baseman who will likely platoon with Betancourt until Hart is back. We also have a younger player brought up to push Weeks. I honestly think Weeks needs to have his eyes checked.

Archived