Brewer Fanatic

Big Wily

The stache

I don't know how today's start against the Phillies will end, but I think today we are starting to see Wily Peralta put some things together. He's starting to figure it out, guys.

His command today looks absolutely outstanding. The fastball is consistently hitting 97-98 mph with nice movement, and the slider is looking just nasty. I'd like to see him mix in the change up a little more often, but this is the pitcher I thought he could be. This is the pitcher that people raved about as he was moving through the farm system.

I don't want to be premature, as it's just one start, but Wily is showing today that he has the makeup to be a true ace. He's making some of these Phillies hitters look just foolish. In some of his previous starts, I felt Wily was nibbling a little around the plate. Not today. He was going after the hitters.

Looks like the final line is 7 IP, 8 hits, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K. 103 pitches, of which 65 were strikes. The defense let him down a few times, but overall, just an outstanding performance. A performance that gives me some real hope for his future.

A big, enthusiastic round of applause for the big guy!

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

It is easy to forget that Peralta is just 24 years old and has only started 16 MLB games in his career. He has electrifying stuff and the Brewers should be very very patient with him over the long haul
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Willy has the stuff. He just has to work on his control. If he can master his pitches, I have no doubt that Willy will live up to the hype. Peralta is a bright spot on a very weak rotation. Watching him grow will be fun. If he can develop a consistently decent change-up to go with a nasty slider and the heat, he will be an ace. Today was an encouraging sign for the future.

interesting that two people here noted that his changeup needs to get better, but throughout the minors (especially the early minors) he was known as having one of the best changeups in the system. It's kind of like how when Yo came up he had a great changeup, but he forgot it after coming back from the knee injury when Fielder ran him over

I think you might be confused, coming through the minors Wily had a great slider. Gallardo was known more for his curve ball than his change.

Peralta in 2008:

Peralta was a breakthrough international signing for the Brewers, who gave him $450,000 in 2005, but he had Tommy John surgery after debuting in 2006 and missed all of the next season. He bounced back in a big way in 2008, showing off what some scouts thought was the best arm in the Pioneer League. Peralta regularly threw his fastball in the mid-90s, sometimes reaching 97-98 mph, and mixed in an improved slider that could be a big pitch for him down the road. Used exclusively in relief to protect his elbow last year, he seldom threw his changeup. Peralta still fights command issues at times, and with a thick build he'll have to stay on top of his conditioning. He's still young and figures to be even better two years removed from surgery. He could sail through the system if his secondary pitches continue to improve. He has reestablished himself as one of the top power pitchers in the organization and could become a late-inning reliever or perhaps a closer.

Gallardo in 2006:

Gallardo features a fastball that he consistently throws at 90-94 mph with armside run and sink, and he can reach back and get a little extra juice when he needs it. His sharp-breaking curveball is the best in the system, and his 85-89 mph slide became a plus pitch in 2006. His changeup has cutting action and continues to improve, and he’ll throw it in any count. Beyond his impressive pure stuff, Gallardo shows savvy by adding and subtracting from his pitches and varying their looks to keep hitters off balance. He’ll change arm slots at times to give hitters yet something else to think about and repeats his delivery easily, giving him strong command of his pitches. His poise on and off the field is something that can’t be taught, especially considering his youth.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

perhaps with Peralta, although I thought in A-Ball we were hearing more about his changeup than his heater. I remember Yo throwing a good one in his first two seasons, but then forgetting about it.

interesting that two people here noted that his changeup needs to get better, but throughout the minors (especially the early minors) he was known as having one of the best changeups in the system. It's kind of like how when Yo came up he had a great changeup, but he forgot it after coming back from the knee injury when Fielder ran him over

When Fielder ran him over? Iirc Gallardo tried to jump over Reed Johnson, who was sliding headfirst into 1B, and landed on Johnson. I'd link to the video, but MLB.com gives me an error message when I try to click on the video link.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If Fielder doesn't turn it into a foot race to the bag and just tosses the ball to Gallardo who ended up with no place to go, Yo doesn't get hurt.

That play has always been on Fielder. His diving back/foot racing to the bag never made any sense for a player of his size. Just make the fundamentally sound play. Prince certainly played with great effort and passion, but many things he did defensively at 1B left much to be desired.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived